• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

The flora and fauna of a concept idea.

Saigonnus

Auror
Just wondering if these sound okay to act a "defensive grid" to keep the denizens of a city/valley in the area.

Strangle Vine:
This strange plant infests the forest that surrounds the city, one of the security features that keep the citizens from venturing too far into the trees. Originally created magically, the plant is self-aware and sentient to the point that it has a basic understanding of the close area around them and how to lure potential prey closer; which is living creatures. Though it has no teeth or digestive system, its tendrils will constrict an animal to kill it, and as it decays and it absorbs the vitamin rich fluids bodies make. The outer skin of the vine is fairly hardy, but usually a sharp sword can keep the plant from getting a hold of a victim. Fortunately for the plant, it has between ten to fifteen tendrils to use in the event it loses one or more.

Creeper Vine:
Cousin to the Strangle Vine, the creeper is less dangerous, but more invasive than its carnivorous relative. Typically found near the edge of the forest, these vines have numerous tendrils like their cousin, but the plant isn’t sentient at all. They grow very fast, as much a couple of feet in one day depending on the age and size of the plant. If allowed to grow unchecked, the vines would invade the fields and the salty secretions they leave behind would poison the crops, rendering them inedible. Often they are cut off in rings and dried for firewood in town, keeping most buildings stocked nicely with firewood. It is also used for paper; the manufactory for it is near to the chantry and is used to make books for holy prayers. They shred the wood after soaking it in a solution and pulp it, spreading it so it makes decent paper.

Forest Fury:
Another plant within the forest is the luminescent red Forest Fury plant. The plant is veritably bristling with poisonous spines that cause debilitating pain and even death. The venom attacks the nervous system and can cause paralysis as it causes pain in the victim. Often the strangle vines act as a host to the forest fury, allowing the red branches to twine around the tendrils and since they both feed of living creatures, often manage a closely intertwined life cycle.

“Half Mile Tree”
The fruit of this ordinary looking tree looks appealing and is truly delicious; often found in congenial looking spots in the forest. The fruit; while tasty, acts as a sedative and analgesic to keep anyone eating it within the forest. If a person should eat one, even on the move, before they reach even a half mile from the tree, they will fall into a deep sleep. So deep is the sleep that they wouldn’t even wake if some creature starting nibbling on their body, since their pain receptors are turned off by the powerful chemical; not only that, but it causes the victim to sweat profusely for several hours and with a sour smell like decaying flesh; which tends to attract the predators that live in the trees.

Potential "antidote": Being buried several feet down with a breathing tube for air, likely could mask the smell until it wears off naturally.

Devil Cats:
These medium sized creatures are closely related to the domestic cats that live elsewhere in the world and originally were identical. The magicians who constructed the ecosystem perverted the regular cat in ways to make them more formidable. They are larger in size than most domesticated cats (similar to a lynx), and have longer and more visible teeth. Their claws are longer and razor sharp and their fur veritably bristle with spines that can detach upon contact (acts more a deterrent than weapon). They roam in packs of six to twelve, the most dangerous thing about them and they are smart, can blend in effortlessly with their environment and prefer the ambush attack.

Hooded Lizard:
Another creature perverted for use is the Hooded Lizard. They range in size from between 10 and 30 feet long from tip to tail and resemble some of the tropical lizards that roam near the equator, but with a ribbed hood that covers their neck. Their scaled hide is bristling with spikes and most form a sort of ridge from the top of their head and runs down the center of their back and tail. Their hide blends well with the environment and they have long and curved claws perfect for rending flesh or climbing trees, sometimes using its skill to "pounce" on potential victims. They typically hunt as a male/female pair with the male herding their intended prey back towards the female; the larger, quicker and more vicious of the pair. They lay eggs like most other lizards and they carry them with them in a special egg sack beneath the mother's tail. Once they are hatched they attach themselves to the mother like a remora and feed off the blood of the mother until they are ready for solid food. This of course makes the mother sluggish and needing to feed more often to recuperate the lost blood.

Dire Mark Spider:
This large brown and grey spider is very aggressive and spends much of its time in a number of interconnected burrows within its territory. It can sense the subtle vibrations of prey moving above them and can follow it to the closest exit in hopes of taking it by surprise. Solitary by nature, these creatures will breed once a year and the female will give birth to only two or three babies that are abandoned shortly after birth; those that survive have to learn to hunt and catch prey on their own. Their stinger injects one of three sedatives into the prey, depending on the size of the creature and they wrap it up and pull it beneath the ground to “cure” for a bit before draining the victims of fluids. The spider is well known for the skull-like mark on its underside, but if you are close enough to see it, you’re probably already a victim. They are of a size as a house cat, but sufficiently large enough to be a threat to even the largest creature in the forest. Their webs are very strong and nearly invisible in the gloom that is the forest they live in since they tend to choose fairly confined spaces to dwell in their territory.

Lots of great ideas. I'm especially fond of plants that are dangerous but don't have to grab across the room like chlorophyl Cthulhu.

(But, no matter how Peter Jackson films them, spiders don't have stings-- just fangs.)

Ireth

Myth Weaver
Lots of great ideas. I'm especially fond of plants that are dangerous but don't have to grab across the room like chlorophyl Cthulhu.

That made me chuckle. XDDD

(But, no matter how Peter Jackson films them, spiders don't have stings-- just fangs.)

At the risk of sounding like a humongous nerd, Shelob wasn't entirely a real spider. Her mother was Ungoliant, a demon of unknown origin who took the shape of a monstrous spider-like being when she entered the world. She mated with real spiders and bore their hundreds of offspring, including Shelob. It's possible that Ungoliant had some non-arachnid characteristics like a stinger, which she passed down to her children.

Roc

Troubadour
At the risk of sounding like a humongous nerd, Shelob wasn't entirely a real spider. Her mother was Ungoliant, a demon of unknown origin who took the shape of a monstrous spider-like being when she entered the world. She mated with real spiders and bore their hundreds of offspring, including Shelob. It's possible that Ungoliant had some non-arachnid characteristics like a stinger, which she passed down to her children.

Dang Ireth, spreading your knowledge of LoTR much? Have you read The Silmarilliom? If I'm spelling that right...

Ireth

Myth Weaver
Dang Ireth, spreading your knowledge of LoTR much? Have you read The Silmarilliom? If I'm spelling that right...

Yes I have, multiple times. That's where most of the info on Ungoliant comes from. XD And it's Silmarillion, with an n on the end. ^^;

Saigonnus

Auror

I know that... when I wrote it, I was more referring to their mandibles rather than an actual stinger like a bee... I just worked on that when I was tired one night and that description was the first to come to mind. I just cut and pasted directly from my notes, so forgive me that.

History is full of people who use "natural fortifications" such as these to defend their homes. Great ideas. xD