• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

The NaNoWriMo Controversies

Avery Moore

Troubadour
So, with NaNoWriMo coming up, I've been talking to a lot of people about how I still want to take part in the event despite not wanting to support the organisation because of all the controversies. This is followed by a lot of people who either hadn't heard about the controversies, or who thought that the ridiculous statement about AI was the only controversy. And so, I made this little video with a brief summary of all of NaNoWriMo's most problematic controversies to keep everybody up to speed. It was absolutely fascinating to make. Such a crazy rabbit hole to dive down.

The Google Doc was really informative but since making this video, I've found out even MORE information about the NaNoWriMo controversies from watching interviews with people who actually worked for the NaNoWriMo organisation and the stories get even crazier. I think one day I'm going to do a real deep dive into the subject and make a several hour long video on what I find because every time I find the answer to one question, I end up with two more questions that I am desperate to find the answers to. If anybody knows anything about the NaNoWriMo controversies that I haven't already mentioned, please share. I've become completely obsessed with the craziness!

pmmg

Myth Weaver
I thought nano was just a place with a challenge and if you completed it, they gave you a digital badge?

Why do we have to use if for more than that?

Somewhere, I fear they thought too much of themselves.

I don't care about their scandal. I am willing to remain completely ignorant and still take their badge (Only, I wont, cause I would never write fast enough to finish 50K in 30 days, or personally would want to.)

dollyt8

Minstrel
I personally decided I wasn't going to get involved with the organization itself, but I'm still trying to do the challenge just to push msyelf and see how fast I can get a complete draft down. It's also to try out some new strategies with outlining. I had no clue about the controversies initially, but you're right, it's quite a deep rabbit hole when you start researching!

Avery Moore

Troubadour
I personally decided I wasn't going to get involved with the organization itself, but I'm still trying to do the challenge just to push msyelf and see how fast I can get a complete draft down. It's also to try out some new strategies with outlining. I had no clue about the controversies initially, but you're right, it's quite a deep rabbit hole when you start researching!
I know! And the rabbit hole doesn't seem to have a bottom. šŸ˜