• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

The proper structure of dialogue and paragraphs.

Xanados

Maester
Hello, everyone. I have a few questions on my mind...
When I'm reading peoples work in the Showcase section, a lot of the time the writing is completley split up. Why is that? Surely that is not the proper structure? I ask this because when I look at a proper book I see the following:

<A few lines of writing that form a paragraph>
<Intendation> <New paragraph>

Looking at The Eye of The World...there isn't any usage of new lines. I haven't seen many people write like this. Why?

<Paragraph above, no new line.>
<Indentation>The man walked in a hurried fashion...

I'm going to write dialogue for my next practice. I've practiced it before but I would like to do it properly for submission. Is this the following the correct way? It seems to be in writing guides and published books themselves.

Is this the correct, punctually?

<Paragraph>
<Indentation> "His name," a voice declared from behind, "is Dragon."

Is there a new indented line for every new speaker?

There seems to be an indentation whenever it introduces a new speaker, even when it doesn't start off with dialogue, for example :

<Paragraph>
<Indentation> Cenn cleared his throat. "My bones are just too old for this wind."

Tell me...is this all correct?

Last edited:
Is there a new indented line for every new speaker?

I acctualy know that one the answer is yes! maybe not indented but 100% a new line.
as for the rest I am hopeles with sorry man.

"John are you read for lunch?" Sherry called from her desk.

"In Five, get Meg on the line for me please."

Last edited:

Xanados

Maester
Lotus, you might want to read up on this stuff, as I am doing, if you want to be a proper writer! ;) What I'm looking at seems to be the proper way to write.

Xanados

Maester
From that article I gather that the way I wrote it is correct.

"His name," a voice began from behind, " is Dragon."
Comma after name and after behind.

For a new complete sentence it'd be:

"I already knew it," Beren said. "It's all his fault."

I'd really appreciate any feedback from writers who know the correct syntax, punctuation and grammar of dialogue. I'm trying to write properly and professionally.

Once again punctuation is so not my thing but I am fairly sure that is correct. Like 98% sure :D Which is more sure than I am that I won't get rained on this weekend lol... I'm gonna bounce you an Email read it when you have time K.

To answer any and all concerns...yes and no.

There is NO method of dialogue that is 100% acceptable or proper. I promise. I know this for a fact as both a prolific reader, editor/educator, and published author.

The MOST acceptable method seems to be what was proposed in the thread--each new speaker is indented and started on a new line. This isn't always best though. Try reading Huxley's Brave New World where he often leaves off speaker attributions and you'll find yourself utterly confused early in the book where he has three staight page of this style dialogue.

However, not all authors indent paragraphs - not all cultures ident paragraphs (I can only speak to American methodology). According to contemporary style guides, our diaglogue should/could appear as such:

Ident, Diaglogue for new Speaker. Technically within that of course, quotation marks at the beginning and end, capital letter to start dialogue, if attribution or intro before dialogue starts, us a period, colon, or comma in front of the introductory quotation marks. End punctuation appears inside the end quotation marks.

There are many exceptions, thus the "NO 100% Methodology". Read a short novel lilke The Road where the author doesn't even like to use punctuation...almost at all. All conventions have been thrown aside. This is an extreme example.

Also, even in style guides, it is also perfectly acceptable and accurate to include dialogue within larger paragraphs, even multiple speakers within larger paragraphs, all without indenting. This, however, is simply not popular, but still in existence--even with some new authors. Some authors even mix their methodologies within a piece of literature for variety. Often, very short dialogue, even exchanges, can be imbedded without idents inside a paragraph to great effect.

Also Also Also, there are punctuation rules (these typically are pretty standard and solid) if you put dialogue inside of dialogue, or you have one speaker continue dialogue through several paragraphs without stopping. If you need help on any of these, please let me know and I'll post those rules as well.

I hope this wasn't utterly confusing. When in doubt, go standard--new speaker=new indented paragraph properly punctuated for dialogue.

Xanados

Maester
I'm afraid, for me, that just opens up more questions that may just sound idiotic.

If I'm looking at two well known Author's writing and in every book they seem to indent for a new paragraph...why aren't we writing like that now? (Oh god, I can hear the laughter. These are questions I've never asked myself.) I'm also very confused that you said not all Authors use indented paragraphs. What do I use for my practices now?

Edit: Oh! "Professionally printed material typically does not indent the first paragraph, but indents those that follow."

Last edited:
I'm afraid, for me, that just opens up more questions that may just sound idiotic.

If I'm looking at two well known Author's writing and in every book they seem to indent for a new paragraph...why aren't we writing like that now? (Oh god, I can hear the laughter. These are questions I've never asked myself.) I'm also very confused that you said not all Authors use indented paragraphs. What do I use for my practices now?

LOL and See I am reading a research book on Pagen beliefs and WitchCraft through the ages, and very few maybe 1 -2 paragraphs are indented...:confused:

Again, not meaning to confuse anyone, but there just isn't a perfect method that everyone will use. BUT, standard practice (and acceptable especially from an unknown author who isn't allowed to break the rules quite yet) is to ident every paragraph. Then, when writing dialogue, each speaker gets a new paragraph that gets indents. This is grammatically without flaw. You cannot go wrong with this as your style guide

But, there are books you can pull of the shelves where authors ditch indentations altogether, or the just don't indent the first paragraph of a section or chapter, or some other variance that is probably done as much for aesthetics as for simplicity.

And your question does not make you sound idiotic, just concerned. We should all be, our methods and style ultimately get us published or not as much as our ideas.

Xanados

Maester
Keep an eye out on those spelling mistakes, Lotus! I'm not saying it to be rude or mean...it just helps as a writer. Remember to spell-check.

I'm really just confused as to how I should be writing for my practices. I don’t know, should I indent my paragraphs and do all the fancy techniques or not?

Edit: Thanks, Map! I wrote this before I F5'd and saw your new post.
Edit: I'm still a tad puzzled that I'm seeing the majority of Showcase writing to be without indentation at all, making it look less professional. Shouldn't we all be writing PROPERLY proper? I don't mean to bash anyone at all, in saying that.

Last edited:
Well here on the forums the indents don't carry over when you copy and paste.
So far as I know not many have upgraded to the newer version where it would allow you to keep your formatting.
So that might be something to keep in mind.

JCFarnham

Auror
Also, although the "proper" method works fine in books, I'm finding it increasingly difficult to read stuff of my monitor if it isn't formatted with an entire line-space between paragraphs.

Like so.

I was always taught in school that traditional media uses the indent and new line rule for each new paragraph [what ever that may be] where as writing on the internet/computer/whatever needs an entire line of space between paragraphs. And I'll be honest, I find it a lot less daunting to read something in showcase if its format with spaces between things... less like a massive block of text that way.

So yeah, maybe we "should" be formatting work placed in Showcase in the traditional way, but I certainly don't find it easier to read it that way.

Saying that, I like to take my cues from the modernists and post-modernists, so I think there's alot to be said of stylistically breaking the rules. [As long as editors realise thats what you're doing and don't just think that you're a complete and utter idiot.]

Shadoe

Sage
We use indenting in printed material - books and magazines - because it saves space and is correct. Including a simple double space between paragraphs is correct online because it is easier to read on the screen this way.

As far as punctuation is concerned, yes, there are conventions, and no, it is not correct to pick which you will follow and which you will change. Sure, if you're trying to be "different," you can make up your own rules, but you can expect people to be annoyed when they read it - IF they read it - and if you're looking to get published, I would suggest NOT doing so.

Angharad

Troubadour
What Shadoe said. It is different whether you are writing for print or online. The convention for print is to indent each new paragraph, and indent and start a new paragraph for each new speaker. This is what you will see in printed books. Also, if you are submitting a hard copy manuscript for publication, it must be in this format, as well as double spaced.

But writing online, it is usually single spaced, no indentations, with a double space before new paragraphs and when a new person speaks. This is simply because it is easier to read on the screen if the text is broken up with white space, but the same punctuation rules apply regarding quotations marks, commas, etc. Here is a link with an explanation that might help.

Dialogue Dos and Don’ts

Also, if you scroll down and type your email address in the box, you can download their free ebook on grammar. It is quite helpful.

Xanados

Maester
Thanks, everyone. Definitley cleared up that question.

I've started writing my third practice and I'm using indentations, just to see how it looks.

@Angharad - Thanks for that link. I'll check out the Ebook, too.

Just remember that each place you submit a story to can have it's own specifications for how they want it formatted. I learned to do most of my actual writing using Courier New font 12pt size and double spaced. But ugly in my opinion, but it has done one thing for me, I don't care what the text looks like anymore, only what it says.

Xanados

Maester
I use Times New Roman in size 12. I think I heard somewhere that it was a pretty standard setup.

The thing about the fixed width font is that on a normal page with one inch margins using 12 point courier new double spaced...it's about 250 words on a page. If you are submitting something in print (no word processor telling you what the word count is) most editors can count the pages and know roughly how many pages in their publication it would be (short stories mainly).

I got used to it a few years ago, saves me time fidgeting with the font and style, or more correctly, wasting time not writing.