• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

The Ultimate Cliche Map

Legendary Sidekick

The HAM'ster
Yeah . . . . it was my first big setting, I think we've all tried some of those roads a little with our first. But I'm still proud of the dwarves of Murdered River.
My feeling is the opposite. I'm not proud of cliches I've used so much as ashamed of some that I missed. How can my Jade Empire lack a Badass Monastery?

Mindfire

Istar
I might have a few of these, depending on how loosely you interpret them. But the one that's dead on is The Big Tree. I actually have one of those. It's a giant tree that serves as an important spiritual center for my culture of forest-dwelling hunter-gatherers. I actually came up with this idea long before Avatar was released. I felt kinda miffed when I watched it. xD

I've actually tried to use names that have a similarity to certain European place names but slightly changed, or I'll translate a basic name into that language. Not big on having the typical bland fantasy names.

Reilith

Sage
The thing that caught my attention is the fact that the sea has the same name I chose some time ago for my own biggest salt-water part of the world. I am intending to keep it, no matter how cliche it sounds, though. I'd like to partake in the challenge, depending on what is offered (and the fact that I am getting nowhere with my novel atm and it's exam time is giving me more than enough boost). So, off to the challenge section!

Mythopoet

Auror
The thing that caught my attention is the fact that the sea has the same name I chose some time ago for my own biggest salt-water part of the world. I am intending to keep it, no matter how cliche it sounds, though. I'd like to partake in the challenge, depending on what is offered (and the fact that I am getting nowhere with my novel atm and it's exam time is giving me more than enough boost). So, off to the challenge section!

The Black Sea? I don't see how that could be considered a fantasy cliche anyway since the real world has a Black Sea.

It's cool that this was posted, because I actually just got done doing a serious work-over of my current projects setting, because mine was incredibly generic haha. I recently changed a lot of it around, and although I do still have a couple of places that kinda fit this map, I think that I've finally reached a happy medium with it :D

Philip Overby

Staff
Article Team

I'm accepting alternates right now since we've got the 8. However, if I get enough alternates, I'm willing to expand the challenge more. Just want to make sure I have my final 8 by the deadline (meaning 8 stories posted) before I commit to any other additional challengers. But feel free to post on the other thread and there will be a good chance the alternates will still be involved in some capacity. Just have to see what I have around deadline time. http://mythicscribes.com/forums/challenges/14380-champion-cliche-world-tournament-june-2015-a.html

SugoiMe

Closed Account
Oooooo, I have tons of these. Let's see

The Dead Forest - called Lotah 'an Morkh which means the same thing.

The Wall of Separation - unlike the map, this one doesn't have a breach.

Mor'Mothe - a dark tower.

The Great River of Plenty - a long river with a lot of fish.

Démon'Mor - a scar that descends into the abyss.

Mor'Lûn - a town name that means "land's end."

I don't think cliches are a bad thing as long as they're done with a unique twist. Sometimes it's the cliche that makes the story good.

Reilith

Sage
I'm accepting alternates right now since we've got the 8. However, if I get enough alternates, I'm willing to expand the challenge more. Just want to make sure I have my final 8 by the deadline (meaning 8 stories posted) before I commit to any other additional challengers. But feel free to post on the other thread and there will be a good chance the alternates will still be involved in some capacity. Just have to see what I have around deadline time. http://mythicscribes.com/forums/challenges/14380-champion-cliche-world-tournament-june-2015-a.html

If I manage to squeeze it in, I will definitely post, as I do need something to get me writing again. Change of pace, change of theme might be good for me. :)

pmmg

Myth Weaver
Man...Hate to comment on old posts, but...the new software is kicking up more old threads.

I'd not mind having adventures on that map, though my own map looks very different.

Martin has said that the Game of Thrones map is just Ireland turned upside down. If you look, you will see it.

Penpilot

Staff
Article Team
Man...Hate to comment on old posts, but...the new software is kicking up more old threads.

I'd not mind having adventures on that map, though my own map looks very different.

Martin has said that the Game of Thrones map is just Ireland turned upside down. If you look, you will see it.

FYI, that map spawned a writing contest in the writing challenge section. There are a bunch of stories from the minds of the Mythic Scribes that are set on that map.

Do you have any places in your world that might fit into these names?

CxXBkNP.jpg
"The Maelstrom" is kind of in a way like my Nerval: a Black Sun.