• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Those most Memorable Dreams

LWFlouisa

Troubadour
Where to begin, lets say that often my dreams feel like an extension of reality, almost a night world compared to the day world. Often I would dream about UFOs floating me outside my hometown house window, and floating desktops and mice. I'm very impressionable, and often when I would play video games, I would dream about the same thing. And yet the more I thought about things, the more such things would manifest in the real world.

And thus, I've tended to self-censor my thoughts, knowing that what I think about might become reality. But I used to dream about nuclear war, the nature of politics, silhouettes and shadows in my room. I once when I was a kid dreamed of being alone in my grandmother's house, and seeing a UFO in the driveway. And I heard marching bootsteps. I hid, and suddenly the door opened.

I find that I'm actually able to taste flavors in my dreams, with the caveat that often I find my favorite dish is just outside of reach, itself moving on its own to the next doughnut shop next door.

Sheilawisz

Queen of Titania
Hello L.W. Flouisa, and first of all Welcome to Mythic Scribes!

I hope that you are going to enjoy the Dreamscape Forum. The idea behind this place is to share and explore our dreams, since many of them have a great potential to inspire a Fantasy story or to become a story on their own. However, it's alright to just engage into dreams discussions in general simply because it's fascinating and fun.

I can relate to what you said about dreams being an extension of reality, something like a night world that we experience together with our daytime world and everyday lives in the physical realm. It has also happened to me that something I dreamed about happens in my waking life, and to be honest that is a little frightening sometimes!

It's a good thing that some of my most catastrophic dreams have not come true, like tremendous volcanic explosions, the Moon hitting Earth and nuclear missiles destroying my city.

About the flavors, the very best pizza and strawberry cake that I have ever enjoyed were part of my dreams.

I had a very wyrd dream last night. I was writing in the dream, as if I was recording something that seemed like the creation of a new universe or a new planet or a new life. In the dream, I wrote 'He' in relation to the act of creation, but then wanted to change it to something else, but 'She' nor 'They' didn't fit. There was a choir of some sort singing [it sounded almost like the Tenth Doctor’s theme from Doctor Who], and muted flashes of pale red and green and other colours.

I've concluded that spicy tofu for supper is the key to having weird dreams. I'm not sure why.
Last night I had three sequential dreams, but the first might be the most important.
The first dream was entirely in the first person. I was either on a spaceship or a space station of some kind, and everything was sterile and white. Apparently I was being prepared for a space journey of some kind, and I was very frightened. There were women who looked like nurses, dressed in white, and one approached me with a very big hypodermic needle in her hand. I managed to ask, “Is there some freezing gel I could have first, please?’, or something to that effect, and the nurse obligingly smeared some on my left arm. I didn’t feel the needle, or look at it. Then I had to climb into a very small space capsule of some kind, and I was very nervous and a little afraid because it was barely big enough for me to fit into. I said ‘I’m afraid of confined spaces’, which is odd because I’m not usually. I lay down in the capsule, and the lid started to go down, and I nearly started to panic, but then the needle started to take effect, and there was this blank grey interlude in which I wasn’t aware of anything. It was more...not unpleasant than falling asleep; it’s hard to find the right word for it. I woke up in the dream as the lid was going up, and I had arrived at my destination and was being greeted by many kind and friendly people.

Sheilawisz

Queen of Titania
Hello there Crystalline!

I have been looking more into Dream-inducing foods since you mentioned your previous and very cool unusual dream, and it turns out that Tofu is indeed one of the things with potential to give intense dreams if you have it for dinner. Apparently, having Tofu during the day as part of your regular diet also has the same effects.

This is believed to be due to the elevated content of Tryptophan involved.

I am not sure if the spicy version is more powerful, but most likely yes because hot peppers and spices have also been reported as part of the group of powerful dream-inducing foods.

Your latest dream is wonderful, a combination of many intriguing elements. You were scared and even near panic at some parts, but it also sounds like a mystical experience. The idea of traveling a great distance in space inside of a tiny capsule is frightening already! However, everything worked well and there were happy people waiting to greet you at destination.

I would love to have a dream like that, but my space dreams tend to be darker and more violent.

Did you see what the new planet was like? Any idea on why you were traveling through space?

I'm going to have tofu again tonight, since there's leftovers, and I'll report back tomorrow. :D
I have absolutely no idea. There didn't seem to be any haste in the matter. I didn't see the planet, either, and the people/extraterrestrials who greeted me were indistinct enough that I can't recall what they looked like. The nurses at the beginning seemed human enough.

I've concluded that spicy tofu for supper is the key to having weird dreams. I'm not sure why.
Last night I had three sequential dreams, but the first might be the most important.
The first dream was entirely in the first person. I was either on a spaceship or a space station of some kind, and everything was sterile and white. Apparently I was being prepared for a space journey of some kind, and I was very frightened. There were women who looked like nurses, dressed in white, and one approached me with a very big hypodermic needle in her hand. I managed to ask, “Is there some freezing gel I could have first, please?’, or something to that effect, and the nurse obligingly smeared some on my left arm. I didn’t feel the needle, or look at it. Then I had to climb into a very small space capsule of some kind, and I was very nervous and a little afraid because it was barely big enough for me to fit into. I said ‘I’m afraid of confined spaces’, which is odd because I’m not usually. I lay down in the capsule, and the lid started to go down, and I nearly started to panic, but then the needle started to take effect, and there was this blank grey interlude in which I wasn’t aware of anything. It was more...not unpleasant than falling asleep; it’s hard to find the right word for it. I woke up in the dream as the lid was going up, and I had arrived at my destination and was being greeted by many kind and friendly people.

You were being put into cryo for a long space journey, or that's what it sounds like

Sheilawisz

Queen of Titania
Crystalline, the nature and energy of that dream is quite powerful but I enjoyed more the one about the magical house.

Now that I think of it, I did have a dream a little similar to yours but this was many years ago. I know it was a nightmare for my young age back then, but it's not scary enough to be part of our Nightmares thread... so here it comes right here, since it's quite memorable indeed!

This dream took place when I was around seven years old, if I remember correctly. I was the pilot of a small spaceship, perhaps about the same size as our family car back then. My assigned mission was a travel to Uranus, what is easy to explain since the planet with an unfortunate name has always been a source of great interest and fascination to me.

I am not sure whether I had to research the planet or perhaps just one of the moons, probably Titania.

The thing is that I was very close to Uranus, I could see it and knowing just how far I was from Earth caused that classic Nightmarish sense of fear in me. I was alone, I was so freaking cold and so totally alone... I was getting the ship ready to enter orbit or something, and then they came.

Several creatures similar to undead skeletons or something came just floating out of nowhere, they started to hit the windows of my little ship, I could see their claws and those faces staring happily at me and after that I woke up!

I mean, back then it was quite scary but now that I think about that dream I think it was quite beautiful =)

Last edited:

Feith

Dreamer
One of my more disturbing dreams actually happened last night. Most of it was a random garble of stuff my brain had absorbed from the waking world, but the last scene truly frightened me.

A girl was standing in a room, with a whole bunch of wooden crates and rickety-looking ladders around her, when this guy walked in. He was dressed all in black, and he had a mannequin-sort of face (chalk-white, indentations for eyes, a nose, and a mouth). He said to the girl, his voice eerily calm, "You didn't do what I told you." She tried to act brave and shrugged, saying, "It wasn't right." Then these two or three... things came in. They didn't look human, more like humanoid monsters with horns and red eyes and these weird pointed beards (they reminded me of evil fauns, but a lot creepier looking). Strangely enough, with every step they took, they looked more and more human, until they were completely human. Then they started walking in circles around her, chating in some horrible language -- it sounded awful, like something that shouldn't exist, even in nightmares -- and as they chanted, the gradually returned to their monster form. Then the scene switched to me, and the image was on the TV, and even though I couldn't turn it off or mute it, I managed to fast-forward and cover my ears. I only caught snippets of the sound afterward, but the chanting was horrible, and it was such a relief when the TV turned off after the scene. Then, shaking, I turned to a family member who was standing next to me and said, "That... why did they have to put that in? The movie was fine without it. They totally ruined the movie." Then I woke up. Not my most pleasant dream, I can tell you that!

Sheilawisz

Queen of Titania
Hello Feith!

First of all, you are very Welcome to Mythic Scribes. I hope that you are going to like and enjoy the community, and also meet new friends around here. Just explore the Forums, start posting and share your opinions and points of view about everything that we discuss.

Now, thank you very much for having shared that Memorable Dream with us!

In case that the sensation of dread or angst caused you to wake up, I would classify it as a nightmare. However, it does sound and feel very memorable so this thread is indeed the right place for it! After reading all of it I have started to wonder what it was that the girl was supposed to do, but she decided not to do it since it was not the right thing to do.

The man and the creatures that showed up have a very supernatural or even demonic feel to them, quite similar to some of the supernatural entities that sometimes haunt me in my own nightmares. The chants... the way that you describe that in particular gives me shivers, I have never experienced anything like that but I know what you mean when you say that it should not exist even in nightmares.

The dissociation effect (first you witnessed the scenes directly, and then all of a sudden you were watching it in the TV) has happened to me too, and I believe that it's a strategy that the mind uses to distance itself from dreams like that.

Did you have anything unusual for dinner that night? Do you think that this dream has potential to become a story?

Feith

Dreamer
Well, I'm not sure if beef stew could cause any sort of dreams like that, but I do know that I'll never turn that one into a story. It was waaay too creepy, and that's an understatement. Not sure what caused it, but I did see a rather creepy image of the evil, nose-less guy from Harry Potter earlier in the day, so maybe that influenced the dream (mannequin man?). Either way, it's never getting written down again. Those chants... so glad I can't remember them, but ugh, they were awful! :nailbiting::yuck:

Sheilawisz

Queen of Titania
Feith, I totally understand why you do not wish that dream to become a story.

At the start of this thread you can read a pretty good description of my Catalina dream, which came to me many years ago and still it scares and shakes me a lot. I know that Catalina, her sister, that castle and the world around them are actually a great Fantasy story, and yet I have not developed that concept in any significant degree ever since then.

Why?

Well, there is something in my heart that tells me that Catalina is not to be messed with. That if I try to see any deeper into her life and her world, I might discover things that are better to leave undiscovered... still that story project is alive in me, and who knows, perhaps someday I am finally going to venture into a potentially great and yet very dark story.

I am not sure if I have mentioned this before, but I experienced a dissociate effect dream the very same night as the Catalina dream.

In that second dream, I found myself visiting Catalina's red castle in my physical person. The castle was abandoned, already centuries old, and it had become a touristic attraction together with the gardens and forest all around it. There I was, just walking around in the gardens and taking plenty of pictures together with many other visitors...

I think that was my mind's strategy to get some distance from the first dream, so it would become less of a trauma for me.

Feith

Dreamer
Your way of distancing yourself is much nicer than mine... for me, I always suddenly myself watching the scene on TV. Sometimes I can cover my ears, or close my eyes, or fast-forward the scene, but I've never been able to turn the TV off completely. Other times, if the dream is really bad, another part of my brain sends the "wake-up" signal before it can get any worse. I've never been transported to a castle and flower garden - so jealous!

LWFlouisa

Troubadour
Lately been having increasingly realistic dreams. So when people say dreams are in the fantasy genre, I'm often confused by what they mean: mine tend to be things likely to happen, that never do.

MDragonRider

Dreamer
I usually remember my dreams well and write them down when I wake up, so I have a whole wealth of good dreams on my phone and in my old dream journal. There's one that still sticks with me the most, though.
I haven't put down the exact words I used to recount the dream originally, but mostly because they were typo-ridden and in some slang/abbreviations. I had just woken up, after all. It gets a bit weird at times too.

I had a dream that this entire town was under the control of this group of about 5 original people, the rest being recruited. They posed as some sort of book club and tempted people to join by promising good food and a tight-knit group of friends. They held strange readings and performances to promote their club.
One day I decided to join despite the creepiness. They gave me a gift basket of various treats which they encouraged me to eat, then we sat down and read a book. I wasn't really focusing on it but the book itself seemed strange.

At this point I was a bit uneasy, finally getting put off by all the weirdness. Then, another woman who seemed to have figured out what was going on claimed she felt sick and asked to leave. But, one of the original members gave a really creepy smile and said, "Don't worry, you can sleep over in the Dark Room and you'll feel better."
Then the original member lead the one who was doubting the group up the stairs despite her protests. This was when I realised I wasn't going to get out with politeness.

I stood up and ran out of the house and down the hill it was on, terrified out of my wits. I ended up on a nearby beach. But they were fast and they caught me, and then brought me back to the house. Now they knew that I knew. The gift basket they had given me probably had some sort of drugs in it to calm me down but I hadn't eaten any of it. They had to get rid of me before I could tell the others. They took me into a room alone and told me they were going to 'bring me to another country, tie me up, and throw me into the crashing waves'.
At this point, I was terrified but there was nothing I could do.

So they tied me up and put me in the trunk of their car. They drove for a few hours until they stopped at some sort of sports stadium for some reason. I sat alone on a seat but they hadn't tied me up so I started running. I lept over two people I didn't recognise and one of them tried to shoot me. She was wearing strangely shoddy clothing and was bald and injured.
Then for some reason, the dream switched to her perspective.

Her master was also in the way that she had shot (?). He brought her into the janitor's closet and she started crying. But they were the 'good guys', apparently, and wanted to stop the book club but were in it so they wouldn't be hunted and killed.
He then reveals that the entire world has been taken over the club and that this town was only the hub of it. He was in charge of developing some of the chemicals to make people feel numb and co-operative but altered them a little so some people could see beyond the illusion. He told the others in the book club that this was an error that could not be fixed. The rate of people seeing beyond the illusion was actually rather common, around one in five. But, the people around them would influence their actions so much that they'd barely notice.

...And that's all I dreamt. My dreams seem to use a few cliches, but I'm sure this could be turned into something if given correct treatment, especially the strangely vivid characters.

Last night I dreamed that I was at a place that was like a hotel lobby, with darkened colours [sort of burgundy]. I was approached by a short haired, dark-haired boy who hugged me from behind and kissed the top of my head. I didn't flinch or pull away, so I must have known him. I felt...well, safe. He even gave me his name. Then suddenly I was in this white-walled house in which every available space was taken up by built-in bookshelves and scads of books. The upper parts of the house were warm and sunny and had lots of windows, and various eccentric people seemed to be living in the nooks and crannies. There were various objects amongst or on the shelves as well, including a lamp with a sculpted unicorn for a base and a circular orange sphere like the seed of a Chinese lantern. I seemed to be looking for the boy, and more than once had to hide in the lower, darkened parts of the house to apparently avoid unwanted attention. It was almost like the traditional fairy tale hero quest, only gender-inverted. I eventually found him, along with a rich, aristocratic lady who seemed to be his mother. She may have challenged me to read every book in the house before she would consider marriage proposals, but that last bit might have been my imagination after I woke up.

I don't know why this is my most memorable dream because it is so short, but I had this dream when I was 5-ish and I still remember it so it must be important.

I am a little kid in New York, in the great depression, it's winter and I need a new coat. We don't have much money so my mom can't just take me to a normal store. We go through an alleyway and my mom doesn't want us to be seen by anyone so we keep having to stop because our feet are crunching in the snow and making a lot of noise. Finally we get to a little staircase/fire escape and climb up it to find the entrance to the store.

The store is really dark inside and there is only a desk and two racks of fur coats. I want to play with the coats, but my mom won't let go of my hand, she seems really worried for some reason.

The store owner arrives and my mother barters with her over the price of the coat. I look outside and see a little boy and I want to play with him so I run to the door and when I open it he is gone.

The dream ends with my mom making me wear the fur coat and leading me outside.

The dream is so odd, in that at 5 years old I had never even been to New York or learned about the great depression, I am almost convinced it must have been a book that I read and I just remember it as a dream. The really strange thing is that at 5 I was positive this was neither a dream or a book, but a memory, so one day I asked my mom if we would ever go back to the coat shop and she was really confused.