• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Tips from Ray Bradbury

Steerpike

Felis amatus
From a 2001 Keynote Address, provided here:

Ray Bradbury Gives 12 Pieces of Writing Advice to Young Authors (2001) | Open Culture

The author of the blog post summarizes Bradbury's tips as follows:

• Don’t start out writing novels. They take too long. Begin your writing life instead by cranking out “a hell of a lot of short stories,” as many as one per week. Take a year to do it; he claims that it simply isn’t possible to write 52 bad short stories in a row. He waited until the age of 30 to write his first novel, Fahrenheit 451. “Worth waiting for, huh?”
  • You may love ‘em, but you can’t be ‘em. Bear that in mind when you inevitably attempt, consciously or unconsciously, to imitate your favorite writers, just as he imitated H.G. Wells, Jules Verne, Arthur Conan Doyle, and L. Frank Baum.
  • Examine “quality” short stories. He suggests Roald Dahl, Guy de Maupassant, and the lesser-known Nigel Kneale and John Collier. Anything in the New Yorker today doesn’t make his cut, since he finds that their stories have “no metaphor.”
  • Stuff your head. To accumulate the intellectual building blocks of these metaphors, he suggests a course of bedtime reading: one short story, one poem (but Pope, Shakespeare, and Frost, not modern “crap”), and one essay. These essays should come from a diversity of fields, including archaeology, zoology, biology, philosophy, politics, and literature. “At the end of a thousand nights,” so he sums it up, “Jesus God, you’ll be full of stuff!”
  • Get rid of friends who don’t believe in you. Do they make fun of your writerly ambitions? He suggests calling them up to “fire them” without delay.
  • Live in the library. Don’t live in your “goddamn computers.” He may not have gone to college, but his insatiable reading habits allowed him to “graduate from the library” at age 28.
  • Fall in love with movies. Preferably old ones.
  • Write with joy. In his mind, “writing is not a serious business.” If a story starts to feel like work, scrap it and start one that doesn’t. “I want you to envy me my joy,” he tells his audience.
  • Don’t plan on making money. He and his wife, who “took a vow of poverty” to marry him, hit 37 before they could afford a car (and he still never got around to picking up a license).
  • List ten things you love, and ten things you hate. Then write about the former, and “kill” the later — also by writing about them. Do the same with your fears.
  • Just type any old thing that comes into your head. He recommends “word association” to break down any creative blockages, since “you don’t know what’s in you until you test it.”
  • Remember, with writing, what you’re looking for is just one person to come up and tell you, “I love you for what you do.” Or, failing that, you’re looking for someone to come up and tell you, “You’re not nuts like people say.”

The ones I hear most from writers seem to be 1) do it because you love it; and 2) don't expect to make money doing it.

#2 is rather discouraging, but when you look at the sheer number of people who want to write versus those who make money at it, I suppose it is realistic.

Last edited:

Chime85

Sage
A great list to get any budding writer started. Particular loved point five,; fire your friends hehe. Thanks for bringing this article forward, Steerpike

x

Steerpike

Felis amatus
A great list to get any budding writer started. Particular loved point five,; fire your friends hehe. Thanks for bringing this article forward, Steerpike

x

I enjoyed it as well :) I also agree with the point about getting distance from people who don't support your endeavors. I think that is true of anything, not just writing, but when dealing with something like writing, that is primarily a solitary occupation, I think having supportive people around is of great value.

JCFarnham

Auror
The funniest point for me is don't sit on your computer, go to libraries. Someone doesn't like the internet haha.

Anyway, aside from that this is a decent list.

BWFoster78

Myth Weaver
I like his suggestion about the ten things you hate and the ten things you fear. That's some quality advice! Thanks for posting.

Steerpike

Felis amatus
The funniest point for me is don't sit on your computer, go to libraries. Someone doesn't like the internet haha.

Yeah, sort of a generational thing I guess. He may still be thinking of ENIAC. I don't know.

Philip Overby

Staff
Article Team
These are great tips. Here are my thoughts on each point:

Don’t start out writing novels. Ray Bradbury is widely considered one of the best short story writers ever. I would also suggest to people to write short stories for a while before ever considering a novel. I wrote about 3 shorts before I decided I would try novels and have failed repeatedly. Now that I've written a lot more shorts, I feel more comfortable plotting out a longer work. I think some people think there are only "short story writers" and "novel writers" but I don't think that's the case.

You may love ‘em, but you can’t be ‘em. My current favorite writers are George R.R. Martin, Steve Erikson, Joe Abercrombie, China Mieville, Andrzej Sapkowski, Robert E. Howard, and Fritz Lieber. However, I don't try to emulate them. I may like them, but their styles inspire me to develop my own "hybrid style." I want to have the adventure of Howard's stories, but with the dark humor of Abercrombie's. The captivating world of Erikson's works, with the captivating characters of Martin's. The straight-forward, simple style of Sapkwoski, mixed with the inventiveness of Mieville. If I can achieve something of the like, I'd be happy. But I'd want people to say "Phil's got his own flair" not "Phil writes like just like so and so."

Examine “quality” short stories. I'd recommend Bradbury himself, who had lots of memorable stories. If you're a fantasy writer, I'd suggest finding short story collections with fantasy leanings. There are lots of them you can find on Amazon that have stories collected by lots of great authors. Looking at the current market isn't a bad idea either. Look at popular mags like "The Magazine of Fantasy and Science Fiction," "Beneath Ceaseless Skies," "Tor.com," "Clarksworld," amongst others. Find short stories you like and read more stories by those people. Bibliographies are a helpful thing.

Stuff your head. Another good point. Don't just read fantasy. Pick up a history book or read a romance. Look at great stories outside your genre. They may inspire you to do new things.

Get rid of friends who don’t believe in you. It's good to not have negative people around you or people that say "You'll never do that." However, it's good to have realistic people around you too. Good beta readers can bring you back to reality, but also give you that extra push you may need. Having people around you that think everything you write is awesome isn't helpful especially. But take the compliments you're given even if you think they're fake. It'll give you motivation regardless.

Live in the library. If by "living in a library" he means, "Read a lot of books" then yeah, you should do that. It always baffles me when writers say "I don't read other writers." That's like being a film maker and not watching movies or being an artist and not looking at other art. It doesn't make sense to me.

Write with joy. Yes. Be happy with what you write. Writing can be a chore sometimes, but it shouldn't ever feel like work. Enjoy what you're writing and it will shine through.

Don’t plan on making money. I don't. It would be nice though. :)

List ten things you love, and ten things you hate. I like this a lot. Another interesting exercise would be to write about things you love from the perspective of someone that hates them or wants to destroy them. Like if you love unicorns, write about a unicorn hunter. Or write about things you hate from the perspective of someone that embraces them or makes them a big part of their life. For instance, if you hate landmines, write about someone who supports their family by disabling landmines.

Just type any old thing that comes into your head. I think a lot of writers are afraid of this. They want their writing to be perfect and even in first drafts their words just aren't coming out the way they want. You can't ever change people's philosophy on writing, but I think about 99 percent (or 100) of writers' advice I see, always says "Don't worry if your first draft sucks." I take that to heart now and employ it in my daily writing. I've become much more prolific because of this. Am I going to submit every single thing I write? No. Is that wasting time then? Well, maybe, but I'm also wasting time staring at a screen because I have supposed writer's block.

Wow, I wrote a lot, but this list really got me thinking. I hope other people can get some inspiration from this thread as I just did.

I think "stuff your head" goes better than Bradbury realizes with "live in your goddamn computer." In the library, you find the sorts of books librarians like. On the Internet, you can find almost anything. (It's amazing how many of my "creative" ideas are just Internet tropes applied outside the genres they normally show up in.)

Other than that, it's a good list.

Jabrosky

Banned
Don’t start out writing novels. Ray Bradbury is widely considered one of the best short story writers ever. I would also suggest to people to write short stories for a while before ever considering a novel. I wrote about 3 shorts before I decided I would try novels and have failed repeatedly. Now that I've written a lot more shorts, I feel more comfortable plotting out a longer work. I think some people think there are only "short story writers" and "novel writers" but I don't think that's the case.
I would appreciate this advice except that not all story ideas can be easily condensed into short form. Some plots have so many things happening in them that they need a lot of words to fully articulate. How could you filter out which of your story ideas can work as short stories?

MystiqueRain

Troubadour
Good tips...but Fahrenheit 451 had me bored on end...>< not that it wasn't a good book, it just wasn't my sort of thing to read. But yes, good tips. :)

Philip Overby

Staff
Article Team
I would appreciate this advice except that not all story ideas can be easily condensed into short form. Some plots have so many things happening in them that they need a lot of words to fully articulate. How could you filter out which of your story ideas can work as short stories?

You find simpler plots that can be solved in shorter times. You save your more complicated and involved plots for your novels.