1. Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us.

Tips on Getting into the Writing Habit

Discussion in 'Writing Discussions' started by Dina, Jun 14, 2019 at 10:41 AM.

1. Dina

Dina Dreamer

When I was younger, I could belt out 1000 words in an hour, easy. My focus was better; I could write whenever, wherever, for hours at a time. I distinctly remember writing in the bathroom of a cruise ship at 2 in the morning because the lights were out in my cabin. It's been maybe two years since I wrote like that, and I've been going on and off all through that time. It's not for lack of motivation, but rather it's difficult for me to sit down and get through the first mindless 20 minutes of staring at the computer screen. Does anyone have tips for getting back into the habit?

2. Devor

Devor Fiery Keeper of the Hat Moderator

I've got this thread over in the Writer's Work forum. It's also an old article on the home page.

https://mythicscribes.com/community...he-discipline-of-a-professional-writer.15959/

In a nutshell, the first thing to do is focus on developing the regular habit of sitting down and getting to work. As that part gets easier, you shift that brainpower to focus a little more on what you're writing, how well you write, and how quickly you write, piece by piece, not all at once. Start with developing your writing process and get yourself on a good footing before you start stressing about the work.

TheKillerBs likes this.