• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Too similar to Dragon Age: Origins?

Aegrus

Scribe
I'm very angry right now. I've been playing the game "Dragon Age" the last few days, and I realized that the characters Morrigan and Flemeth are almost identical to characters that I planned out a long time ago. One of my characters was actually first created years ago. (Before playing Dragon Age, of course.)

People who have played Dragon Age will obviously have a better understanding of what I'm about to say, but I'll offer brief descriptions as well so anyone can reply.

Dragon Age

Flemeth: An ancient witch of the wilds who is evil, depending on your point of view. She is very manipulative and cruel. She is, however, very intelligent. She has been repeatedly hunted by church soldiers called Templars. (Is a witch)

Morrigan: Flemeth's daughter, she often pretends to hate her mother. In reality, however, she loves her mother. Morrigan abbhors weakness of any kind, and concepts such as love and friendship are alien to her, as she grew up outside of most human contact. Morrigan is cruel and manipulative, and uses her "feminine assets" to get what she wants from men. Despite this, she does have a softer side which is shown to the player only after a lot of careful dialogue exchanges and perfectly made choices. She is pale, mid to late twenties, with short black hair and golden eyes. (Is a witch) Morrigan later tries to convince the player character to kill her mother after treachery is discovered.

My Book (planned before I ever played Dragon Age)

Maeve: A very old woman who drifts from place to place around the world, often in the wilderness, to escape church soldiers. She is very intelligent, but is cruel and manipulative. She uses her daughter's looks to get what she wants where money, potions, and poisons cannot suffice. (Not a witch)

Tema: Maeve's daughter, she often seems to hate her mother. In reality, however, she loves her mother. Tema abbhors weakness of any kind, and concepts such as love or friendship are alien to her, as she grew up traveling from place to place without making any personal connections to anyone. Maeve is cruel and manipulative, and uses her "feminine assets" to get what she wants from men. Despite this, she does have a softer side which is shown rarely. She is pale, mid twenties, with short black hair and green eyes. (Not a witch) Tema later turns on her mother, and they part ways without violence. (But they still have a falling out, as above for Morrigan and Flemeth.)

The similarities are mind numbing. I can't believe that I'm going to have to rewrite it all now. Both characters (who I really liked), and their dynamic (which has some very epic/dark) twists and turns. The funny part is, the story of my book isn't even remotely similar to the one from Dragon Age.

It's this kind of thing that makes me think that some characters are simply more appealing to our minds, and so pop up again and again.

Well, what do you think? Can I get sued over this or something, or should I continue?

Reaver

Staff
I wouldn't worry about it too much. Fantasy and other fictional archetypes have been done time and time again. Check out Joseph Campbell's "The Hero with a Thousand Faces". How many times have you read a fantasy novel where the hero and his buddies are just like the heroes in LOTR? As long as your story is unique and the characters believable, you have nothing to worry about.

Last edited:

W.k. Trail

Scribe
Dragon Age's characters are pretty archetypal, and when I played it I had the pervasive sense that I'd met all the characters before. Ultimately though it depends on how you actually write them, because a 30-word summary is imprecise enough to describe a lot of different characters at once.

If you're playing DA:O and it's really bothering you - the characterization itself and the dialogue reminds you too much of your characters - then ask yourself whether you can improve the story by replacing them. That's definitely a big deal, and I wouldn't recommend you make the decision lightly, but if seeing that it's been done before can push you ahead you might find that you're capable of something better than you'd planned to write.

Codey Amprim

Staff
Article Team
I've had this happen numerous times in movies and whatnot, especially Star Wars with the good and evil aspects. Honestly, if it is of your own creation, it is yours. Sure they may seem similar, but many things are - half of the time we don't even realize. I've come to just accept that many things have been done before, but that doesn't mean it is off limits, either.