• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Top 100 Fantasy Authors (How Many Have You Read?)

BloodyNine

Dreamer
I've managed to rack up 21, with quite a few of them on my tbr list! For those who dislike Sanderson but Haven't tried The Way of Kings, please, give it a read. I'm on the second book now and I'm hooked! Another one of his short stories, Shadows for Silence in the Forests of Hell, is pretty solid too.

pmmg

Myth Weaver
Well the list is not all inclusive. I could think of some who are missing so i am sure we all have a few more than listed.

Mist Dragon

Dreamer
This list is rubbish, if they don't include Andre Norton, who wrote the witch world series, and many of the first fantasy books I've read.

skip.knox

toujours gai, archie
This list is rubbish, if they don't include Andre Norton, who wrote the witch world series, and many of the first fantasy books I've read.
I don't know about rubbish, but it's certainly not complete and I completely agree about Norton. And dozens of others not on the list.

As a palliative to such lists, I made my own years ago. These weren't the best books (I included all genres), but was a list in two parts. Part One is books I like. I use that list to choose birthday presents for my children. I also gave the list to them (I update it every few years) so they can make their own choices. It's "Dad's Great Books".

Part Two is books I think I want to read. I culled from Greatest lists of all sorts, then add from time to time. It's my TBR list, but it has a second function. When any of my kids wonder what to buy me for birthday or Christmas, I point them to the list. I also suggest that they choose their own books that *they* think are great, hoping that eventually they'll make their own Greatest Books list, and ask them to inscribe some sort of note so I know who gave it to me and why. These books occupy a place of honor on my shelves.

Anyway, that's why I don't call this particular list rubbish, because I snagged a few names from there. But a complete list? Naw, not hardly.