• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Treskri - help needed

Zireael

Troubadour
I don't think I wrote anywhere that the tunnels extend to the core itself, just that the Higher World is the hottest because it's the closest to the core.

Hi,

Sorry my misread. Still I'd say stay away from getting too close to the core. In fact if the world is anything like Earth, I wouldn't want to leave the crust which would probably be no more than ten or twenty miles in depth. Once you leave the crust you reach the mantle and that's also hot. It's where volcanoes draw their magma from. But that could make an interesting side story where occasionally bits of magma / vents etc access the tunnels and they have to be somehow shut off.

As long as you're in the crust however, changes in gravity will be largely unnoticeable. As you get closer to the mantle, temperatires should rise, and so should pressure.

Cheers, Greg.

Zireael

Troubadour
So you think gravity should work towards the core?

Is changeable gravity out of the question? I had it in the first draft, in order to fully use the possibilities created by 3-dimensional world...

DTowne

Minstrel
Really quick, on the animals topic. Giant sized Moloch's would be really. Its something I always wanted to put into a story.

Hi,

If you're in the crust, then gravity should be fairly much what it is on the surface. The crust is only a very thin skin over the world.

Cheers, Greg.

Zireael

Troubadour
Thanks.

An issue I've been thinking about - I have the houses and the lineages discernible by hair and eye color. Should I add varied skin color, too? The Bhais Lan would get ivory skin, the Cogadh Lan - probably red, the Mian Lan would probably have pearl skin etc. etc.

An issue I've been thinking about - I have the houses and the lineages discernible by hair and eye color. Should I add varied skin color, too? The Bhais Lan would get ivory skin, the Cogadh Lan - probably red, the Mian Lan would probably have pearl skin etc. etc.

Very possible. Does that mean each house is inbred (or large) so that its traits don't get diluted by marrying out? (Or I suppose people taking after the wrong ancestor could dye their hair for solidarity's sake, or be discreetly pushed back from politics as "not quite the voice of our house.")

Zireael

Troubadour
Very possible. Does that mean each house is inbred (or large) so that its traits don't get diluted by marrying out? (Or I suppose people taking after the wrong ancestor could dye their hair for solidarity's sake, or be discreetly pushed back from politics as "not quite the voice of our house.")

Yes to large, yes to inbred, and yes to dyeing.

EDIT: The only reason I haven't added varied skin colors yet is because I was afraid of people yelling out that this is racist...

Zireael

Troubadour
Two last minute thoughts:
1) what about art? Should noble houses sponsor it? What about painting (mostly on the cavern walls)?
2) I thought of giving every year a name and an associated legend. Or would that sound like a FR-ripoff?

1) what about art? Should noble houses sponsor it? What about painting (mostly on the cavern walls)?
2) I thought of giving every year a name and an associated legend. Or would that sound like a FR-ripoff?

People aren't people without art. And if you have a strong aristocracy they'd of course want to sponsor it, to show off to each other and to have some control over what's out there. (I don't know if it would be entirely "on the cavern walls," you seem to have enough industry to create most of the other painting surfaces too.)

Naming the years is interesting, I guess if there was some vote or authority for choosing what to call each. What comes off as a ripoff of what is always hard to judge.

Phietadix

Auror
Because the planet's core fluctuates and flashes, they can measure time without using magic. Their year has 12 months and every month has 4 weeks 8 days each.

Why is their year so close to ours? It is not measered in the same way. Why do they even have a year and months at all, years are based on the sun and months on the moon. You probably should make a different way of measuring time based more on the core. And it should be very different from Earth's

Zireael

Troubadour
Why is their year so close to ours? It is not measered in the same way. Why do they even have a year and months at all, years are based on the sun and months on the moon. You probably should make a different way of measuring time based more on the core. And it should be very different from Earth's

I thought of making some other calendar, but my friends told me to stop making it too weird... So I simply changed the number of days in a week, because of the holy number.

Alternately, elves could count days only and then group them in some groups of 8 or of a power of 8...

Phietadix

Auror
I thought of making some other calendar, but my friends told me to stop making it too weird... So I simply changed the number of days in a week, because of the holy number.

Alternately, elves could count days only and then group them in some groups of 8 or of a power of 8...

The Eight day week makes sense for this but to me a 12 month year is to earth-like and doesn't seem right for this. It wouldn't be too weird or confusing in my opinion to have a completly different calender unless they have some way of seeing the night sky.

Zireael

Troubadour
The Eight day week makes sense for this but to me a 12 month year is to earth-like and doesn't seem right for this. It wouldn't be too weird or confusing in my opinion to have a completly different calender unless they have some way of seeing the night sky.

No, they don't; and yes, I see where you are coming from.

Then again, if you decide on say a 10-month year to be different, and similar-size months (and days), that means a boy of 12 is only age 10 in earthlike years. Numbers get tricky.

(And, I think you need something like months, though it might help to find a name for them that doesn't have "moon" in it. A year is just too many days for people to think about without dividing it up in some way. Or maybe people say things like "We'll be back in maybe 4, 6 weeks.")

Rullenzar

Troubadour
I think something like moon and sun cycles might work great here. Sun cycles for talking about the day. Moon cycles for weeks.

" I'll be back at red dawn my lady."

or

" I'll see you at the trial at Half moon."

Just have to work out the time cycles between the various stages.

Ill leave this post in here but I just realized this is the underground planet thread. Apologies.

Last edited:

Phietadix

Auror
I think something like moon and sun cycles might work great here. Sun cycles for talking about the day. Moon cycles for weeks.

" I'll be back at red dawn my lady."

or

" I'll see you at the trial at Half moon."

Just have to work out the time cycles between the various stages.

Ill leave this post in here but I just realized this is the underground planet thread. Apologies.

Our Calenender on Earth is based on the sun and the moon.

Rullenzar

Troubadour
Yes but we don't refer to them the way I gave examples and depending on how his world works the cycles for his world may be different or can be manipulated to suit his needs.

Regardless I thought this was another thread. His world is underground so it doesn't really work unless you can see outside which I'm assuming you can't.

Guess my explanation was a tad bad, I see what your saying lol

Zireael

Troubadour
I'll keep thinking about the calendar...

If you want, you can check out Zireael07 at Deviantart.com - I put up some CoAs and some sketches of characters.

Zireael

Troubadour
Deities and colors affiliated with them:

War Queen - color: bloodred
Lord of Magic - color : not decided yet. Someone suggested purple.
Lord of Nature aka Lord of Trees - color: green
Noble Queen - color: gold
Life-Giver - color: silver
Lord of Death - color: black

Minor deities:
Outcast - color: brown/gray
Dark Lady (Dark Ruler? I'm not sure which one is a better translation) - color: navy
Beastlord - color: not decided yet
Lady of the Light - color: white
Lord of the Dark - color: gray

The Four (function as a single minor deity): -> the elemental deities
Red Prince - color: red
Blue Prince - color: blue
Brown Prince - color: brown
Silver Prince - color: silver

I haven't yet decided on the divine patron of one of the other houses (Traidi Lan, which means full of tradition). The Noble Queen and the Life-Giver both have a single house + the Mian Lan (the undecided offshoot of the Uasal Lan) under their patronage, so I might be forced to:
a) make the Elf Queen their patron
b) invent a new deity
c) make some other deity their patron

Additionally, a good solution to the Mian Lan [full of desire] venerating two deities at once would be to invent a minor deity of sexuality...

Comments? Help on the problematic matters?