• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Types of Gryphons

ShadeZ

Maester
What do you all think of these names and types of gryphons.

Highborn gryphon- Classic half lion half eagle, very large and magical.
Night gryphons- Half panther half raven, almost as large as highborn and more magical.
Savage gryphons- Half tiger, half owl, Larger than highborn possesses no magic but has slight magical immunity.
Feral gryphon- Half leopard, half hawk, medium sized gryphons, most common, some magic, least hostile.
Minor/Prince's gryphons- half ocelot, half falcon, small, magical, often keep as guardians and advisors to royalty.
Miniature gryphons- half sand cat, half kestrel, very small, not magical, kept as hunting companions and friends.

ShadeZ

Maester
They look fine to me. Where do these different types of gryphons come from?

The elemental magic plane of light. Gryphons, unicorns, pegasus, phoenix, nightlings(shapeshifting kitties), illusion kitties, Ivy stags(unicorn deer), hippocampi (merehorse) all are apex/noble monsters that swear fealty to the dragons who work with the faeries.

So did the Savage ones attack a lot of beings, people and animals to get that name? And were the Feral's once tamed and then went wild to get their's? Though you'd think the night ones would be the part owl ones. I realize I am attempting to apply logic to a fantastical creature with the last. They seem pretty good. It's just the above that stuck out a little to me.

Vaporo

Inkling
The elemental magic plane of light. Gryphons, unicorns, pegasus, phoenix, nightlings(shapeshifting kitties), illusion kitties, Ivy stags(unicorn deer), hippocampi (merehorse) all are apex/noble monsters that swear fealty to the dragons who work with the faeries.
So, is each gryphon breed is shaped based on the will of the dragon they serve?

ShadeZ

Maester
So, is each gryphon breed is shaped based on the will of the dragon they serve?

No, they exist in those sizes because of natural causes. However, their size can dictate what they do to help the dragons. Gryphons also would only be subservient to light dragons and in some cases light faeries if the dragon turned the gryphon over to the faeries as their commonly given as 'gifts' to function as ambassadors and vassals.

ShadeZ

Maester
So did the Savage ones attack a lot of beings, people and animals to get that name? And were the Feral's once tamed and then went wild to get their's? Though you'd think the night ones would be the part owl ones. I realize I am attempting to apply logic to a fantastical creature with the last. They seem pretty good. It's just the above that stuck out a little to me.

Savage type is commonly used as warriors and protectors for their dragons. They are known for their fierce and brutal fighting skills hence the name.
Ferals grow up apart from the dragons in the forests until they are teens and are used as assassins and hunters for the dragons they serve.
Regarding the owl-panther mix idea, I guess that could work especially if I make it a black or dark breed of owl