• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Using Natural Selection in My story

Devora

Sage
There's 4 races of elf in my story (High, Wood, Half, and Dark).

I am considering using an instance where their history is result of natural selection, but i'm not sure how to apply it.

Can anyone help in this matter?

Caged Maiden

Staff
Article Team
I think by their very different habitats... that is the natural selection. Wood elves would be better protected in a forest setting, while high elves might be more civilized and half-elves living close to humans, and dark elves being underground (or wherever you have them living).

Maybe I didn't get your question, but habitat is what makes a creature evolve. Take the moth thing Darwin commented on..... Before the Industrial Revolution, the moths of this particular species were gray and brown mottled. But, every so often an all brown one was born. Well since the trees all had lichen covering them, the dark brown moths were easily spotted by birds and eaten. But during the Industrial Revolution, when the air was so polluted, the tree lichen died. So the mottled moths had nowhere to hide. Well then the brown ones were the norm, with the mottled ones being easy prey, and all the moths were then dark brown. But when London passed its clean air act.... the lichen came back... and the mottled moths... and the brown ones all were easy prey again.

The habitats of your creatures (including climate, rainfall, space, terrain, predators and prey, vegetation, etc.) will determine how they evolved, and though humanoids have the benefit of a society, look at our own world and the many kinds of people it holds. I guess I might be confused because you've used the term natural selection, a term relating directly to evolution which is a slow process in most cases. If you are looking for en event that quickly split these races... well then I think you are looking for something magical that happened. The gods might have had something to do with it.....