• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Using quotes as a touchstone/epigraph

Velka

Sage
I'm interested if anyone else uses quotes as a touchstone for chapters (or a work as a whole). I find it is a useful tool to keep me focused on the idea, feeling, or flavour I want it to convey.

Right now they just live in the notes section of my Scrivener files, but I am humouring the idea of using them as an epigraph for each chapter of my WIP. The literary geek in me loves those things, but I know they can come across as cliche.

Thoughts?

Guy

Inkling
I use them for the same reason, though I make sure not to use quotes that are already used too much.

Penpilot

Staff
Article Team
I used them once for a novel. I did a mixture of real and made up quotes that captured a fundamental theme of the chapter. It was also a way for me to slip in a few bits of world building.

not everyone is into philosophy it's sort of something that grows on someone and etiquette is sometimes engulfed by the idea that being so open about one's self is fallable. I think people might read them, but I've heard it said at least once I think that a person who did not enjoy fantasy complained the attempt to create scholars work from something that was a fairy tale was another turn off for them to the material.

I myself like them, the entire idea of fantasy is to enravel yourself in a culture that is boundary free but it's good I think to make some kind of chronicling to the story. you could read Freud's literature on fairy tales in human beings if you wanted to get a real psychological perspective on fantasy in a realistic sense, I haven't read it but I could guess it's contents just like Civilization and It's Discontents.

I don't mean to be condescending, but here Psychoanalysis and Fairy-Tales

Last edited: