• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Weekly Chapter-by-Chapter Fantasy Writing Group

Philip Overby

Staff
Article Team
I've recently been taking a workshop through a Facebook group that I think works out pretty well. It's going to be finished in January, so I was wondering if anyone would be interested in forming a similar type group starting in February. It wouldn't have to be on Facebook, but whatever place we'd like to set it up that is easy for groups to be set up. I've also been working with a partner doing a chapter-by-chapter trade that works out for us really well. It's much easier to focus on one chapter a time instead of having a whole novel to just look at whenever you feel like it.

This group would function as a chapter-by-chapter critique group. Meaning you either start a new novel or use your WIP. We could discuss problems we're having with our chapters, brainstorm, and think about various writing techniques. We could share videos, articles, etc. that help us with specific issues we all may be having. By breaking down the group into a chapter per week discussion, it gives ample time to clean up a chapter and offer it to the group. I'd say on average, submitting a chapter from between 2,000-8,000 words is reasonable within a week.

In joining, this is what would happen.

1. Each week we'd post a chapter from a novel, either a WIP or a new novel chapter.

2. Members post their chapter for the group to read.

4. Each group member posts a quick critique about the chapters they read.

5. We have a "end of the week" discussion, trying to brainstorm and help each other with any issues we may have had.

5. Rinse and repeat.

Note: If you're too busy to write your chapters and comment on the other writers, then it's probably not a good idea to join the group. It's not going to take up a huge amount of time (2,000-8,000 words a week is pretty easy), but it's best that you are committed to the group for a month. If you don't want to continue after a month, you can opt out and try something new.

Dan Latham

Minstrel
I like the idea as well. Time to bite the bullet and sign up for Facebook.

Is there a minimum/maximum number of people you want in the group?

Ireth

Myth Weaver
Oooh, look like fun. I should be able to join for at least a month before college starts to crunch down on me.

Philip Overby

Staff
Article Team
So I take it that those of you have posted are interested? It's super easy to do it on Facebook, so I'll PM you all with my Facebook info and then please send me your own (once you get it set-up). I'm going to invite each of you to the group privately and once we start, it'll be locked until the month is over.

One rule: if you don't comment on other people's chapters, you will not get feedback for you own chapter the following week. That seems like a fair rule. Gotta play the game! :)

SpoonyBardon

Dreamer
I know this is coming at the tail-end of February, but I'm curious if your group is planning to continue through March? I would love to join in!

Philip Overby

Staff
Article Team
We just wrapped up the first round and I'm not positive we're continuing on through March as of yet. It was sort of a "let's see what happens" kind of thing.

Philip Overby

Staff
Article Team
Unfortunately, we did it one week and people were just too busy to make it work. I'm always open to trying it again sometime in the future.

Chilari

Staff
I'm about the start writing my WIP that I've been planning for the last couple of months. I think this is a great way of incentivising myself to work, if there's a deadline for each chapter's first draft. I think I can reliably produce a chapter a week at the anticipated chapter lengths as set out in my chapter outline document. At the moment I think I've been putting off starting so would really benefit from a group to work within.