• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Weekly short stories group

Philip Overby

Staff
Article Team
I have about three stories in the works at the moment, so I'm not really needing prompts right now myself. However, if I get stuck, I will come back and use them.

Guru Coyote

Archmage
Although my writing in the coming week(s) will be taken by Iron Pen Round 8 (and a ton of real world things), I'd like to count myself in this group too.

Right now, I'm in the early stages of planning the Iron Pen story, and might be able to use both 'cold' and 'wrong way up' prompts.

Chilari

Staff
I didn't write last night as I planned. Too many things to do to prepare for this week at work, like bulk-cooking special fried rice so no matter how late I get home from work I've got something quick and easy to microwave for dinner. Gonna be a long week at work...

I hope others have more producive weeks than I will.

Philip Overby

Staff
Article Team
Luckily, I'm off work for a couple of more weeks, so I've had a lot of time to work on stuff. Some of it is a little bit different than what I usually do, so that's been fun. I'm finishing up a story tonight as well.

Guru Coyote

Archmage
I seem to be rather digital (on or off) in that regard. The more my day work demands of me, the more I also get done in the evenings. When I am off work/study, my free time is usually spent reading and listening to podcasts, generally procrastination the creative process.

I got a rather good idea of the general concept and voice of my next Iron Pen entry, tonight I hope to lay down a rough outline.

Philip Overby

Staff
Article Team
I finished up a short story yesterday and copied another one from my notebook today (about 900 words so far). I'm kind of enjoying writing all these short stories. Such a change of pace from novels. They can be frustrating sometimes.

Anyone else have progress?

Also, I started a Post a Prompt thread for anyone who wants extra prompts. They're generated by members, so it's not just me coming up with them.

I'm not only not making progress in my novella that is going on 1 month late, I'm making congress...er, un-progress.

Guru Coyote

Archmage
Me, I'm not making progress in terms of word count or actual writing. But my next Iron Pen entry is shaping in my mind, and I also just re-descoverd my love for a story that might become my first novel at some point (posted a chapter in Showcase).

Also I had great fun with the Post a Prompt thread Phil mentioned... posting and reading.

Philip Overby

Staff
Article Team
Yeah, the Post a Prompt thread doesn't have to be too serious, just anything to get your brain working. :) Sometimes that's all you need is a gentle shove.

Good to hear you got a spark for a novel. That's always a good feeling!

I'm going to try to finish my one short story tomorrow if possible and start on a new one. I'm sort of shifting between sub-genres. I'm kind of having fun doing that (contemporary fantasy, sword and sorcery, high fantasy, etc.)

Penpilot

Staff
Article Team
I slipped in the first draft to short story in between editing, and gosh, it feels really good to shift gears. All editing and no writing makes Jack a dull boy.

Philip Overby

Staff
Article Team
How is everyone doing? I'm going to start a new story this week, but I'm not quite sure what I want to write about. I'm a big fan of Andrezj Sapkowski, so I'd like to do a series of stories about a monster hunter, kind of like the Witcher character, Geralt of Rivia. Well, not like him at all really, just a monster hunter character. :)

I actually had an idea for a pair of monster hunters that are good at what they do, but kind of...flawed so to speak. Like they have serious mental/physical/spiritual problems. Not sure what yet. But I think it could be fun.

Chilari

Staff
Overtime at work. Excluding travel (40 minutes each way), I've just worked a 60 hour week (normally 37.5) and I am drained. Yesterday was a 10 hour day. Today is likely to be 14 hours. So as far as writing has been concerned, not so much progress.

At least I'll get tomorrow morning off to make up for all the unpaid overtime.

Have decided to take the rest of this month off and will try again in April.

Guru Coyote

Archmage
I'm *hoping* to put in some serious write-time to night and tomorrow night. That may be the only times I have a chance to make a dent into the Iron Pen entry I have planned. Was traveking / moving yesterday, and will be traveling again on Thursday.

Penpilot

Staff
Article Team
I need to get my editing arse in gear so I can get in some more short stories. This is starting to feel like an endless edit. *sigh

Guru Coyote

Archmage
I'm now about 750 words into my Iron Pen entry - with maybe two eveniungs of actual writing. I'm heavily editing as I go, as it's unsure how much time for edits I'll have once I finish. Deadlines, deadlines :)

Philip Overby

Staff
Article Team
Finish it up Guru! Go, go, go! :)

I just wrapped up another story, a little over 5,000 words. I'm 5 for 5 on my 52 Week Challenge so far. Long way to go...

Penpilot

Staff
Article Team
Did an entry for the Iron Pen yesterday. Hadn't planned on entering but saw the prompt and ideas started boiling up. Six hours later, it was up. Nothing like writing for a deadline of one day... hahah.

Guru Coyote

Archmage
Got the entry up in time, and I think it turned out rather well. We will see what others think :)

This week I don't have any writing projects planned... will be mostly offfline and studying for exams, possibly writing project documentation. But we all know how things are regarding plans...