• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

What are some famous quotes that inspire you?

I don't mean from like movies I mean from people from history, or like, any area of life either personal or not.

One of my favorite quotes comes from the Main Composer for Dragon Ball Z: "A Buss station is where a buss stops, a Train station is where a train stops, at my desk, I have a work station."

Also: while not particularly a quote. A content Creator I follow on Youtube has some great principals. His whole motto is 'If it's funny to you, just do it, even if nobody laughs at least you did' which results in some rather...manic bits in his videos. (bonus points if you can guess the youtuber)

That said, I think movie quotes can count too, but I'd like to hear some stuff from real life. Like that one "A pebble can move a mountain if placed correctly" quote. It's a cool line but I got no idea what it means lol

Ban

Troglodytic Trouvère
Article Team
“There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. A high-powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die.” -Hunter S Thompson.

"Your life is your life. know it while you have it. You are marvelous the gods wait to delight in you." -Charles Bukowski

Last edited:
Any fool can know. The point is to understand - Einstein. Great quote on basic empathy.

Each time a woman stands up for herself, without knowing it possibly, without claiming it, she stands up for all women. - Maya
Angelou

Unclose your mind. You are not a prisoner. You are a bird in fight, searching the skies for dreams. - Haruki Murakami, from Hard Boiled Wonderland and the End of the World

I like quotes.

pmmg

Myth Weaver
Quote I live by....Hmmmmm.....

I think my life's motto is 'no good deed goes unpunished', cause I do a lot of good deeds, and I always get punished for it. I am not a fan of that model.

Stuff I say often enough that I may as well say so here.

'Love God with all your heart mind and soul, and love your neighbor as yourself'
"The only true wisdom is knowing you know nothing" <--well, thats the quote, I usually say it differently.
"A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds."
"The unexamined life is not worth living."
"They all have a plan, until I hit them."
"Insanity is doing the same thing everyday, and expecting a different result."

I dont know...those may be approximations.

Some I say, but I dont think they are quote from others...

"Keep asking whats true, and dont believe the lie."
"Strategies are better than goals"
"Dont just want to do something, do it."
"Playing prevent is always a loser."

Nuff for now...

skip.knox

toujours gai, archie
Sturgeon's Law: Seventy percent of everything is crap.
The story behind that is fun, and I have found the law is pretty nigh universal. It helps me from getting too exasperated with this. Or that. Or the other thing.

Some project management wisdom: 90% of the project takes 90% of the time, and the other 10% takes the other 90%
And a secondary: some of it, plus the rest of it, is all of it

On our common affliction ... er, obsession ... er, occupation: I hate writing, but I love having written

Plus, I have a large collection of quotes from song lyrics, which are truly memorable if not inspirational. I post them on Facebook. You can browse them by searching on #lyricsIlike. I'm pretty much the only one, but there are a few other contributors.

Mad Swede

Auror
Non est ad astra mollis e terris via.

It's from the Roman writer Seneca's tragic verse epic Hercules furens, and it means there is no easy way from the Earth to the stars. It pretty much sums up what a challenge writing is and has been for me as someone who is severely dyslexic, but it also sums up the rewards and feelings I get from the relative success of my writing.

On our common affliction ... er, obsession ... er, occupation: I hate writing, but I love having written
Truly?

You're the last on here from whom I'd expect that sentiment.

I have lots of quotes from my own literature that I am arrogant enough to use shamelessly. The one that most gets me into trouble at parties is from Conan Doyle though: "Mediocrity knows nothing higher than itself, but talent instantly recognises genius."

Some of my own include:

"All of life is art... you're either a painter or you are paint."

"As soon as you ask a question, you take one step from the answer."

There are heaps of others but I'm sitting in an airport with little time.

BearBear

Archmage
"Angels can fly because they can take themselves lightly." G.K. Chesterton

Related to humility, self-awareness, humbleness, grace, sense of humor, etc.

"Fight till your last breath. Losing with breath to spare is worse than death." - The Way of the Bear

If you're going to do anything, go all the way or go do something you really want to do.

skip.knox

toujours gai, archie
>You're the last on here from whom I'd expect that sentiment.
I've expressed it more than a few times! I write not because I take joy in the process but because not writing is more painful than writing. More than that, writing in some fragmentary fashion is something I've simply done all my life. Like breathing. The only thing that has changed is that now I make myself finish stories. For most of my life I was doing the literary version of doodling. No actual pictures. One day I decided I didn't want to go out with nothing but doodles, so I buckled down and haven't unbuckled since.

When I think about no longer writing (and finishing) stories, it feels uncomfortably close to dying. So I reckon I'll keep going. But the sentiment (often but not authoritatively attributed to Dorothy Parker) fits well. The process of writing is mostly laborious broken by stretches of despair and dappled by beams of renewed confidence. But once the thing is done, I feel pleased and rewarded. Sales, reviews, and the rest are all just gravy. If I know the thing to be well made, that is sufficient unto the day.

Rexenm

Inkling
I wonder about the footsteps I leave behind, I wonder about my legacy, I want to praise the human spirit. It might get lonely out there, but as long as you have something to work on, there is someone out there with you.

I made that up about a phone number one different from my soul mates. I gave my copy to his soul mate, then stole away with their third wheel. 0439975367, 0439915367. One wants to be a director, the other was in a band Rich Widow with a band member who was pushed out of a two storey window. His last name was Marshal, like the stack. You can find it on sound cloud. The numbers are pretty much useless, as I haven’t seen them in years, they wouldn’t have the same number, and I don’t know the extension, but drunken phone calls are drunken.