• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

What are some famous quotes that inspire you?

I wonder about the footsteps I leave behind, I wonder about my legacy, I want to praise the human spirit. It might get lonely out there, but as long as you have something to work on, there is someone out there with you.

I made that up about a phone number one different from my soul mates. I gave my copy to his soul mate, then stole away with their third wheel. 0439975367, 0439915367. One wants to be a director, the other was in a band Rich Widow with a band member who was pushed out of a two storey window. His last name was Marshal, like the stack. You can find it on sound cloud. The numbers are pretty much useless, as I haven’t seen them in years, they wouldn’t have the same number, and I don’t know the extension, but drunken phone calls are drunken.
Years ago I had a wrong number (at work) and instead of hanging up politely (as I normally do) I found myself chatting with a complete stranger. We were both quite interested in each other (although I don't remember swapping names) and the conversation became quickly quite intense (although I tend to be a fairly intense chap at any time - I don't do small-talk).

Until she asked was I interested in meeting up. I could tell she was a little older than me (I would have been 22-ish at the time) and that was probably at a time when I had a massive crush (unrequited) on another girl and was simply not interested in anyone but her. So I said: no.

We said our goodbyes, and I could tell the girl on the phone was disappointed...

About once every five years or so I wonder what might have happened if we'd met. There's a book in there somewhere.

CupofJoe

Myth Weaver
I got this from someone here in MS
Goldie's Rules: 1) Write everyday. 2) Finish it. 3) Don't seek feedback till its finished.
Thank you pmmg

Avery Moore

Troubadour
That said, I think movie quotes can count too, but I'd like to hear some stuff from real life. Like that one "A pebble can move a mountain if placed correctly" quote. It's a cool line but I got no idea what it means lol
I suppose a pebble can make the mountain taller if it's placed at the top?

A. E. Lowan

Forum Mom
Leadership
I've always liked one along these lines that I picked up in academia:

"We stand tall because we stand on the shoulders of giants." Reminds me of every author we've followed up this mountain, and every author who will be inspired by the footprints we've left behind.

A. E. Lowan

Forum Mom
Leadership
My favorite inspirational quote - usually used with writing - comes from a little football movie called, 'The Replacements.'

"I wish I could say something classy and inspirational, but that just wouldn't be our style. Pain heals. Chicks dig scars. Glory is forever. It has been an honor to share the field of battle with you."

Doesn't that just bring out the urge to make pages? lol Now, pull up your WIP(s) and get back to work.

Foxkeyes

Minstrel
I don't know if this counts or not. But I always laugh when I think about it. A discussion between Churchill and Lady Nancy Astor.

Lady Nancy Astor: Winston, if you were my husband, I'd poison your tea.
Churchill: Nancy, if I were your husband, I'd drink it.

Avery Moore

Troubadour
I don't know if this counts or not. But I always laugh when I think about it. A discussion between Churchill and Lady Nancy Astor.

Lady Nancy Astor: Winston, if you were my husband, I'd poison your tea.
Churchill: Nancy, if I were your husband, I'd drink it.
Churchill had some good ones. I think he also said, "Cats look down on us. Dogs look up to us. I like pigs. They treat us as equals."

I THINK it's more about a single person's efforts being grander than a large group or something, but who knows with most of these ancient proverbs.
Outside of that it's more funny to think of it literally, imagine just placing a single pebble, suddenly the entire mountain shifts one centimeter to the left. Nobody would notice what you did, but you achieved something incredible. xD

If we're going to count movie quotes in this thread: I will always remember "Tomorrow is a Mystery, Yesterday is History, but today is a gift, that is why it's called Present' from Kung Fu Panda. I love it when a silly comedy movie has an epic quote like that that just lands.

BJ Swabb

Sage
"As is a tale, so is life: not how long it is, but how good it is, is what matters. I wish you all very good lives." JK Rowling