• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

What Are You Playing Now?

Nighty_Knight

Troubadour
I have been playing Elden Ring these last 2 weeks. Great game so far. Love the mythology and like always from that studio, not very straightforward how they tell the story. I love the main hub in this at the Roundtable Hold, feels like a place great warriors would gather to regroup. Boss fights have been epic and the environment is a huge open world. Just when I think I have most of it explored another massive section opens up.

Gurkhal

Auror
Darktide is coming in September so I'm trying to finish any and all challenges I can in Vermintide 2 before everyone moves from gritty fantasy to gritty sci-fi.

skip.knox

toujours gai, archie
Far Cry 6. It's ok, but it feels like I had more fun back with 3 and 4. In any case, powering through so I can get on to Horizon Zero Dawn.

Gurkhal

Auror
I'm playing something which isn't a computer game for a change. The game in question is "The Tide at Sunrise", a board game about the Russo-Japanese War which I play solo to learn the rules so that I can teach and play it with friends and family down the line.

Right now things have turned sour for the Russians with the Port Arthur squadron entirely destroyed at sea which means that the Japanese can land troops pretty much anywhere they want on the coast which is giving them the strategic advantage and initiative in a way which I don't know if it will be possible for the Russians to reverse.

Already the railroad between Port Arthur and the north has been cut and the Russians won't be able to defend against the Japanese in the mountains but must react to landings in their rear.

So, I expect a Japanese victory for this round.

Puddles

Acolyte
I've been playing Elden Ring recently, anyone else playing it? I find it's world building and scene setting to be really inspirational (which may be why I've registered to this site and am thinking about writing fantasy novels again).

Nighty_Knight

Troubadour
I've been playing Elden Ring recently, anyone else playing it? I find it's world building and scene setting to be really inspirational (which may be why I've registered to this site and am thinking about writing fantasy novels again).
Yep. On my second playthrough now. Took about 200 hours to beat it the first time. It’s a fantastic game and it is pretty massive. Some of the locations are absolutely mind blowing.

Gurkhal

Auror
Had a paus from Dark Souls but now I'm back again and just finished off the Capra Demon in the Undead Burg with a liberal use of fire bombs.

So I'm making slow and grinding progress towards final victory. :D

Sydnie

Dreamer
Hey, this is my kinda topic! At the moment, I'm actively playing four different games:

-Genshin Impact, which I got into a couple months after it launched and have been hooked on since. Pretty much everything about it is right up my alley, from art style to story to core gameplay. I have a feeling I'll be playing it right up to its end~

-Yu-Gi-Oh! Master Duel. I was big into YGO growing up, but stopped playing the physical card game around the start of the Synchro era. I did play Duel Links off and on for awhile, but decided to dip my toes back into ~real~ YGO when Master Duel launched. I've been playing that every day too, and I've even thought about streaming it~

-Fire Emblem Heroes, but this one, I can admit is purely out of sunk cost/addiction. Not that I dislike Fire Emblem, it's just that I've gotten to the point with FEH where the only real reason I'm still playing is so I can spoil my PNGs~

-Last night, I started playing Dragon Star Varnir. I'm only up through the first dungeon, but it's already way more fanservicey than I was expecting. Not that I'm complaining, I'm a degenerate who lives for cute anime girls~

skip.knox

toujours gai, archie
Replaying Mass Effect. The game holds up surprisingly well after all these years. Still on volume one.

Gurkhal

Auror
I'm working to reach the Bell of Awakening in Blighttown in Dark Souls.

So far I've done two expeditions down towards it but in both cases I've found myself badly equipped to handle the challenges of poison and curse and so have had to abort or retreat. Now I'm grinding to get souls to trade for sufficient gear before I had down there once again and make more progress.

Gurkhal

Auror
I've reached the bottom of Blighttown and is now grinding away to defeat the Chaos Witch who blocks access to the second Bell of Awakening. Slowly I'm polishing my tactics and getting better results against this boss. :D

Nighty_Knight

Troubadour
More Dark Souls for me. Blighttown and its boss is done and I just finished the Iron Golem after Sen's Fortress and have arrived in Anor Londo. :)
Keep us updated lol. Been a decade since I first beat Dark Souls and it’s was a great experience. Good luck with Smough and Ornstien.

Gurkhal

Auror
Keep us updated lol. Been a decade since I first beat Dark Souls and it’s was a great experience. Good luck with Smough and Ornstien.
Will do.

Right now I'm stuck in Anor Londo against two Silver Knight Archers that you need to run up to attack and positioned so that when you go against one of them, the other can, and will, shoot you in the back with his oversized bow.

I hope that there's a special place in hell waiting for these bastards...

Nighty_Knight

Troubadour
Will do.

Right now I'm stuck in Anor Londo against two Silver Knight Archers that you need to run up to attack and positioned so that when you go against one of them, the other can, and will, shoot you in the back with his oversized bow.

I hope that there's a special place in hell waiting for these bastards...
I remember those guys. It one of the trickiest parts of that game. Run fast.