• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

What are you Reading Now?

Ban

Troglodytic Trouvère
Article Team
I haven't read fiction this entire year, but I did just finish John Dickie's "Blood Brotherhoods: the Rise of the Italian Mafias." Now onto "the 5 Families" by Selwyn Raab.

Lots of research on organized crime.

Last edited:
I just finished reading Seraphina again. I felt like the main couple didn't have enough chemistry. If anything, Phina has more chemistry with her uncle than her lover.

I've read that, but it's been a while. I remember the story being kind of slow, but I remember liking it. I don't remember about the romantic subplot, but that was back when I hadn't read many books with romantic subplots. (I still don't, really...)

La Volpe

Sage
I'm trying something different ... "Fight Club".

At risk of talking about Fight Club even more (but then again, the whole premise of that (those?) rule(s) is faulty, since the group couldn't have grown if no one had talked about it; but I digress):

I watched the movie and later read the book, and I found the movie better. It's one of only two stories (of which I'd read the book and watched the movie) where the movie was better for me. The other one is Jumper. Interestingly, in both of these cases, I had watched the movie first, so that might have created a bias.

Mythopoet

Auror
I've been in a mood the last couple weeks where I can't read just one book. So, depending on how I feel, I've been switching back and forth between the umpteenth reread of Dune and The Lord of the Rings, the novel Scaramouche by Rafael Sabatini and a Sherlock Holmes pastiche called Sherlock Holmes vs. Dracula (which is in a volume with Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Holmes).

Scaramouche is.... interesting. I feel that, though I'm at the 21% mark and the main character has already witnessed his best friend's death, helped to spark the French Revolution and is now on the run from the law, the story is only just getting started.

The Holmes vs. Dracula story is ok. But whoever wrote this certainly doesn't have the writing chops or the mystery chops to compare with Doyle.

C. A. Stanley

Minstrel
I'm currently reading Waking Gods by Sylvain Neuvel, after reading Sleeping Giants for the second time this year. Has anyone else read these books? The format is very different... it's written in interviews and mission logs. I've never read anything in this style before, but it's done so well, and I'm loving how pretty much the whole story is told through dialogue (perfect for unobtrusive info dumps!)

Incanus

Auror
The Grapes of Wrath by John Steinbeck - Oh... Wow!!! Can that guy write?!?!?!

Read that one last year. Recently read "Cannery Row".

The answer to your question is: Yes. Yes he could sure write. Wonderfully, at that. One of my favorites. If you haven't read The Pearl, you really should. Incredible story. I'm going to tackle East of Eden one of these days...

CupofJoe

Myth Weaver
Read that one last year. Recently read "Cannery Row".

The answer to your question is: Yes. Yes he could sure write. Wonderfully, at that. One of my favorites. If you haven't read The Pearl, you really should. Incredible story. I'm going to tackle East of Eden one of these days...

The Pearl is now on my TBR list!

Mythopoet

Auror
I was forced to read The Pearl in middle school and consequently hated it. But I really like Steinbeck's The Acts of King Arthur and His Noble Knights.

Time to start something I've meant to read for years. The Federalist papers. I anticipate this to be one where I josh st chip away in between books.

Gurkhal

Auror
I'm re-reading Sorrow, Thorn and Memory by Tad Williams and A Song of Ice and Fire by GRRM. Two of the fantasy authors that I admire the most.

Incanus

Auror
I'm re-reading Sorrow, Thorn and Memory by Tad Williams and A Song of Ice and Fire by GRRM. Two of the fantasy authors that I admire the most.

Excellent timing--were you aware that the first book of a new series of Osten Ard is coming out next month? It's called the Witchwood Crown. I've been waiting for something like this for... well, I guess about since 1993 after To Green Angel Tower came out. Very exciting.

Gurkhal

Auror
Excellent timing--were you aware that the first book of a new series of Osten Ard is coming out next month? It's called the Witchwood Crown. I've been waiting for something like this for... well, I guess about since 1993 after To Green Angel Tower came out. Very exciting.

I was well aware so I got myself three splendid new copies of the series, as well as "The Heart of What Was Lost" And will get Witchwood Crown at first oppertunity when I can get hold of it. :D

And its indeed very exciting to see more Osten Ard coming our way. I just hope that I'll be reasonably ready to start with The Witchwood Crown when I can get hold of that as well. Wonderful series to say the least.