• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

What are you Reading Now?

Mythopoet

Auror
After looking around a bit I didn't see any other thread like this. If I missed it, please feel free to direct me.

So I've started this thread where we can talk about what we're currently reading. I've participated in threads like this on other forums and found it's a great place to find book recommendations and other people who share your tastes that you can talk about books with.

I've just started reading Soldier in the Mist by Gene Wolfe.

My husband is a huge Gene Wolfe fan, like obsessively and worshipfully so. He's always trying to get me to read his books. I tried Shadow of the Torturer and The Knight and couldn't really get into either of them (though I've promised to give the Solar Cycle another try one of these days). I did read The Sorcerer's House and mostly just found it weird and confusing. But I'm a big fan of Egyptian/Greek/Roman history so I'm finally giving Wolfe's Soldier books a try.

They revolve around a mercenary soldier in the Peloponnesian War who suffered a head injury that caused him to lose his long term memory. He has to write down everything he experiences because the next day he'll forget it. There's Wolfe's typical touch of the supernatural in that Latro, the soldier, can apparently see and interact with gods and in the beginning of the book is given instructions from Apollo about how he can be healed of his injury. Wolfe goes to great lengths to make the books (written in first person) feel as though they are truly written by a man from the time period. The conceit being that the author translated the actual scrolls Latro wrote on and only fleshed them out minimally for the novels. It's quite interesting so far.

GeekDavid

Auror
I'm getting back into The Sorcerer's Path by Brock Deskins. (First book is The Sorcerer's Ascension.)

It is, honestly, rough around the edges, you can tell this is the author's first series. With that said, however, he weaves a heck of a tale, and I quite enjoyed them on the first read-through, and can't wait to get to the books he's added that I haven't read yet.

Mythopoet

Auror
This month I'm going to start the Kingkiller Trilogy by Patrick Rothfuss, I haven't been excited about reading in a long, long time so hopefully it's as good as they say.

I thought the first was pretty good but was very disappointed by the second.

Mythopoet

Auror
Possibly. I've generally found that once a series starts disappointing me, it tends to go downhill from there.

Mindfire

Istar
I'm reading the Tales of the Otori books by Lian Hearn. The best I can describe them is that they're kinda like a shorter, PG-13 Game of Thrones set in fantasy Japan. I've finished the first book, and it's good, even if the plot didn't go the way I wanted it to. The books are a bit darker than what I usually read and I'm not big on bittersweet endings, but I decided to try something new.

Philip Overby

Staff
Article Team
@Mindfire: I've heard good things about the Tales of the Otori books. I've been wanting to check them out for awhile. A Japanese GOT's description has me interested.

@Severin: Love me some Martin! Hope you're enjoying the series so far.

Mythopoet

Auror
I'm reading the Tales of the Otori books by Lian Hearn. The best I can describe them is that they're kinda like a shorter, PG-13 Game of Thrones set in fantasy Japan. I've finished the first book, and it's good, even if the plot didn't go the way I wanted it to. The books are a bit darker than what I usually read and I'm not big on bittersweet endings, but I decided to try something new.

Sounds interesting. I think I'll have to put that on my to read list.

GeekDavid

Auror

I read the first one and, well, let's just say I'm not rushing out to buy the second.

A. E. Lowan

Forum Mom
Leadership
I usually read 3 or 4 things at once. ATM I'm plowing through Cassandra Clare's Infernal Devices because I read what she has so far of The Mortal Instruments and figured I'd keep punishing myself. I don't like YA and these books are reminding me why, but I will say she writes great characters, so that's something that keeps me coming back.

My main obsession right now, though, is Amazon.com: Violence: A Writer's Guide Second Edition eBook: Rory Miller, Steve Perry: Kindle Store. I just found myself struggling with a major fight scene, and coming from a violent background this bothered me, so I am trying to get back to that place in my head. I really recommend this book, but it's not easy reading.

Ireth

Myth Weaver
Recently got through H. Beam Piper's The Fuzzy Papers and Piers Anthony's Night Mare, and soon I'm going to start on Claire C. Marshall's The Violet Fox.

Ruby

Auror
I'm reading, Rivers of London by Ben Aaronovitch. It's about a wizard detective solving crimes in modern London. Described as 'What would happen if Harry Potter grew up and joined the Fuzz' by the Sunday Times. It seems quite good so far, although I think I prefer Harry Potter.

Ruby

Auror
I'm reading, Rivers of London by Ben Aaronovitch. It's about a wizard detective solving crimes in modern London. Described as 'What would happen if Harry Potter grew up and joined the Fuzz' by the Sunday Times. It seems quite good so far, although I think I prefer Harry Potter.
I've just finished reading the first Cassandra Clare book of The Mortal Instruments Series. I had to read it twice to work out the plot. I've got the series so will probably read the rest. I usually read more than one book at a time.

Hi,

Awesome reading list Ireth. I love the fuzzies and Night Mare was a great Xanth novel. Maybe I'm just saying that because I'm hitting the comfort reads myself at the moment. So I just pulled the seven Lensmen books by Doc Smith off the shelves the other night. Got through Triplanetary last night - when I was supposed to be writing! (Isn't it great when tv sucks!)

Cheers, Greg.