• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

What are you Reading Now?

Gurkhal

Auror
Plowing through some classics in the shape of Belgariad and Malloreon and the three extra books to that setting (Belgarath the Sorcerer, Polgara the Sorceress and the Rivan Codex).

Gurkhal

Auror
This thread needs more activity.

I'm reading "Guns Up!" by Johnnie M. Clark. Its about the Vietnam War and rather different from what I usually read. And thus it gives me some variation.

pmmg

Myth Weaver
Three books.... Saviors Champion, Eve of Snows, and Thus spoke Zarathustra. By read, it would be more fair to say, I am looking at each at a very slow pace.

Saviors Champion, ummmm...Well, I ask a lot of questions, but I am not sure its meant to be scrutinized the way I would do, so...

Thus Spoke... Yeah, I wish Mr. Nietzsche would explain more the opening premises that spawns all this. He writes in a format of 'Since all I have discovered is true, here is what I can extrapolate." I am back on, why do we think this is true? I understand that is not his way.

Eve of snows, not in far enough to have a useful opinion.

Demesnedenoir

Myth Weaver
Eve of Snows is the greatest book ever... the greatest book ever... just keep repeating that over and over as you read. 😁

Three books.... Saviors Champion, Eve of Snows, and Thus spoke Zarathustra. By read, it would be more fair to say, I am looking at each at a very slow pace.

Saviors Champion, ummmm...Well, I ask a lot of questions, but I am not sure its meant to be scrutinized the way I would do, so...

Thus Spoke... Yeah, I wish Mr. Nietzsche would explain more the opening premises that spawns all this. He writes in a format of 'Since all I have discovered is true, here is what I can extrapolate." I am back on, why do we think this is true? I understand that is not his way.

Eve of snows, not in far enough to have a useful opinion.

pmmg

Myth Weaver
Eve of snows is the greatest book ever....

Mr. Nietzsche will be disappointed.

ThinkerX

Myth Weaver
Just finished 'The Signet Ring' by Ellis Knox (seems familiar for some reason.) Couple of technical quibbles, but pretty dang good overall. The notion of a troupe of acrobats as investigators is unusual, but it works.

Currently about a quarter of the way through 'The Other Magic' by Derrick Smythe. Racial purity and magic and a brutal slave state...

In the Shadow of Lightning was Great! Recommend.

Speaking Bones, book 4 of The Dandelion Dynasty (end?) Love this series. The first book is still my favorite. The series just feels like you are reading about a real place.

Karlin

Troubadour
Just about done with the second volume of the Dream of the Red Chamber (AKA The Story of the Stone). I've already bought the last three volumes.

Gurkhal

Auror
Just about done with the second volume of the Dream of the Red Chamber (AKA The Story of the Stone). I've already bought the last three volumes.

Nice seeing this. Any special reason for reading this or just generally curious about a Chinese classic?

Karlin

Troubadour
Nice seeing this. Any special reason for reading this or just generally curious about a Chinese classic?
I've developed an interest in Chinese literature in general. I read in English translation. I've read the Journey to the West (twice), Romance of the Three kingdoms, and heard Water Margin as a podcast. So I'll have the Four Classics covered/

I wrote a short novel based on a combination of The Journey to the West and Talmudic legends. Trying to get it published.

Avery Moore

Troubadour
Nearly finished The Unspoken Name by A. K. Larkwood... Really sad to say that I'm just not getting into it, at all.

The premise is great on paper. I mean, the protagonist is a lesbian orc who escapes an evil cult that were going to sacrifice her to their creepy God. Sounds really cool when you say it like that, but unfortunately the characters just aren't interesting enough for me to get invested in them.

I've heard of that one! It's by Jenna Moreci, right? Never actually read her book, but I do watch a lot of her youtube videos on writing advice. ^_^

pmmg

Myth Weaver
Nearly finished The Unspoken Name by A. K. Larkwood... Really sad to say that I'm just not getting into it, at all.

The premise is great on paper. I mean, the protagonist is a lesbian orc who escapes an evil cult that were going to sacrifice her to their creepy God. Sounds really cool when you say it like that, but unfortunately the characters just aren't interesting enough for me to get invested in them.

I've heard of that one! It's by Jenna Moreci, right? Never actually read her book, but I do watch a lot of her youtube videos on writing advice. ^_^
Yes. I bought her book cause of her videos. I suppose its well written and entertains but the story logic challenges me. I find i am saying things like, why build this? And why not just kill them when they sleep and such. Its like hunger games with more emphasis on who gets the girl. Spoilers, the MC does.

There are others in the authortube i like more. Jenna uses a lot of sentence enhancers and thats not the best look.

Avery Moore

Troubadour
There are others in the authortube i like more. Jenna uses a lot of sentence enhancers and thats not the best look.
Any chance you could recommend some? I've been watching a lot of Alexa Donne recently, but a lot of her advice is aimed specifically at young adult writers and doesn't really apply to what I'm writing ATM. :giggle:

pmmg

Myth Weaver
Well... I dont have a short answer to that...

I pretty much take all that have something interesting to say. Some I dont feel do, so I dont spend much time with them.

I am looking to publish, and I want to do it as right as I can. I would like to get an editor and see what they have to say...but, I am out of money, so I am waiting before I pull one in to review my stuff. I am also looking at all the other aspects, like cover, blog, website, bio, ISBN, copyright and all that. So, I watch the ones that are hitting those subjects more than ones with topics like 'How to write engaging villains' and "Tropes to avoid list' cause I feel I have that covered.

I am also suspicious of most of those with videos because 1) they represent survivorship bias, and 2) they are using the video's to market and not really help me. So, their experience is, so far, is not my experience.

And last, having not gone down that road as far as they, I cannot fairly assess who was the most helpful.

My plan is to pick the one or two I like best, and use their roadmap and see if it helps me get in the game and avoid pitfalls. Doing that has led me to Reedsy. I have an editor all picked out, but need to have some $$$ to do it. I am also waiting on Beta readers (Looking for beta readers if you are interested :))

Anyway, I look at Bethany Atazedah

Jenna Moreci

(She is prolific and has a lot of energy, but she could clean up her language a bit I think.)

This one I just call the Reedsy girl.

Abby Emmons

(I think this is the video I am using as a template).

And just about anything that grabs my interest. I hate to say, but sometimes Mythic Scribes moves too slow for me ;)

There are some I avoid, but I wont post them here. Why hurt their reputations. But generally, if all you have to say is 'write them like people' or 'set aside a place that works for you', um.....I'd rather use my 10 minutes on something more useful. (Sorry to some youtubers.)

I saw one recently that was just a one off. Some writer with low production values, and only one vid posted, but she did say something about hope in dark fantasy that I'd not considered before. Sadly, I dont think I could find that one again. Pity.