• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

What are your aesthetic or concept preferences for novels?

Now, I know it's common knowledge that regardless of whatever you write, there will always be people that detest it. But this form of novel-rejection is something that is near and dear to me. Let me explain.

When I was a kid (and today, to some extent) I preferred books with certain types of looks, aesthetics, or "graphics" per-say. For example, I detested books in which animals played the roles of main characters. I wanted to have humans playing that role. But think this one is more common than another one. However, there are more extreme examples.

While I wouldn't reject a fantasy book based on what kind of weapon a characters is wielding, I have an unhealthy obsession with sword-wielding protagonists (cliche, I know.). I just really enjoy characters that use swords, and find swords to be cooler than any other weapon. Why? Hell if I know, I just do! I dislike main characters that are either A) not inherently powerful or B) not having a character arc of acquiring power over the course of a book. And on many occasions, this can boil down to some really trivial stuff.

I love characters with unnatural hair colors, others hate that. While they're not my favorite style of setting, I love worlds similar to DnD. And I know for a fact that there are people whom loathe that. I dislike knights whom act like brigands and play the role of main character. There are other people that love this kind of character! I've started to find that settings with corrupted organized religions (usually monotheistic)tend to be very repetitive and cheesy--rarely providing any meaningful social commentary. There are people whom think those kinds of settings are extremely deep and philosophical.

Now the problem is not these tropes or archetypes. Because I would never hate a book just due to this. In fact, I violate my own standards on multiple occasions, but that's because like all tropes, these can be used well. But I think these biases are just a healthy way for us to track down the kind of books we're most likely to enjoy.

So I was wondering, do any of you have these secret preferences? If so, I'd love to here more about it.

Now, I know it's common knowledge that regardless of whatever you write, there will always be people that detest it. But this form of novel-rejection is something that is near and dear to me. Let me explain.

When I was a kid (and today, to some extent) I preferred books with certain types of looks, aesthetics, or "graphics" per-say. For example, I detested books in which animals played the roles of main characters. I wanted to have humans playing that role. But think this one is more common than another one. However, there are more extreme examples.

While I wouldn't reject a fantasy book based on what kind of weapon a characters is wielding, I have an unhealthy obsession with sword-wielding protagonists (cliche, I know.). I just really enjoy characters that use swords, and find swords to be cooler than any other weapon. Why? Hell if I know, I just do! I dislike main characters that are either A) not inherently powerful or B) not having a character arc of acquiring power over the course of a book. And on many occasions, this can boil down to some really trivial stuff.

I love characters with unnatural hair colors, others hate that. While they're not my favorite style of setting, I love worlds similar to DnD. And I know for a fact that there are people whom loathe that. I dislike knights whom act like brigands and play the role of main character. There are other people that love this kind of character! I've started to find that settings with corrupted organized religions (usually monotheistic)tend to be very repetitive and cheesy--rarely providing any meaningful social commentary. There are people whom think those kinds of settings are extremely deep and philosophical.

Now the problem is not these tropes or archetypes. Because I would never hate a book just due to this. In fact, I violate my own standards on multiple occasions, but that's because like all tropes, these can be used well. But I think these biases are just a healthy way for us to track down the kind of books we're most likely to enjoy.

So I was wondering, do any of you have these secret preferences? If so, I'd love to here more about it.

You're topic is kind of vague but the strange thing is I do know exactly what you're talking about.

The first thing i notice is that your concept preferences are basically the exact opposites of mine. XD

I love talking animal stories (when done well) and always have (even though my obsession with them was much more profound when i was a kid). I have this dislike of sword-wielding protagonists i can't explain; I think the sword just seems boring to me. HATE D&D or Tolkien-esque worlds, anything traditional like elves, dwarves... except for the obvious exception of my dragon obsession. And since the main enemy in one of my WIP's is an oppressive religion (which i am finding a fascinating antagonist), it's safe to say that we differ significantly in that respect too.

Now that I have that out of the way...

I love settings with made-up creatures, especially those that aren't directly nicked from mythology, and those with stat sheets and habitat and diet information and random facts i can memorize.

Many people on here will hate me for this, but I hate anything with a medieval look and feel. I'm basically allergic to knights and castles.

Love quirky characters that have eccentric personalities and bizarre traits and clothing. The weirder, the better. A generic cast of characters is a huge turn-off.

Hate main characters that are special in a way that is completely plot-irrelevant (weird eye colors, etc.) I read a book the other day where the main character had GOLDEN eyes. (I could have forgiven it if she wasn't otherwise as boring as pulped cardboard.)

I love biopunk (I know it has horror connotations, but it's the same as steampunk really, except using genetically engineering/biological replacements for modern technology.) Love it. Especially bioluminescent lighting.

Absolutely love complex bad guys with extensive backstories.

I love books with book-loving protagonists, or with huge libraries, or books about writers and books in general--in theory. I hated InkHeart (I wasn't even able to finish, though i've never been squeamish about DNFing.)

I love books that teach me something I didn't know before, whether it's about knitting or Roman architecture or taxidermy. Let your useless nerdy knowledge hang out, authors! I love to hear about it.

Usually, i really dislike books about kings or princesses or royalty of any kind. There's no real reason why, I just don't.

You're topic is kind of vague but the strange thing is I do know exactly what you're talking about.

The first thing i notice is that your concept preferences are basically the exact opposites of mine. XD

I love talking animal stories (when done well) and always have (even though my obsession with them was much more profound when i was a kid). I have this dislike of sword-wielding protagonists i can't explain; I think the sword just seems boring to me. HATE D&D or Tolkien-esque worlds, anything traditional like elves, dwarves... except for the obvious exception of my dragon obsession. And since the main enemy in one of my WIP's is an oppressive religion (which i am finding a fascinating antagonist), it's safe to say that we differ significantly in that respect too.

Now that I have that out of the way...

I love settings with made-up creatures, especially those that aren't directly nicked from mythology, and those with stat sheets and habitat and diet information and random facts i can memorize.

Many people on here will hate me for this, but I hate anything with a medieval look and feel. I'm basically allergic to knights and castles.

Love quirky characters that have eccentric personalities and bizarre traits and clothing. The weirder, the better. A generic cast of characters is a huge turn-off.

Hate main characters that are special in a way that is completely plot-irrelevant (weird eye colors, etc.) I read a book the other day where the main character had GOLDEN eyes. (I could have forgiven it if she wasn't otherwise as boring as pulped cardboard.)

I love biopunk (I know it has horror connotations, but it's the same as steampunk really, except using genetically engineering/biological replacements for modern technology.) Love it. Especially bioluminescent lighting.

Absolutely love complex bad guys with extensive backstories.

I love books with book-loving protagonists, or with huge libraries, or books about writers and books in general--in theory. I hated InkHeart (I wasn't even able to finish, though i've never been squeamish about DNFing.)

I love books that teach me something I didn't know before, whether it's about knitting or Roman architecture or taxidermy. Let your useless nerdy knowledge hang out, authors! I love to hear about it.

Usually, i really dislike books about kings or princesses or royalty of any kind. There's no real reason why, I just don't.
Damn, we really are on the opposite side of the spectrum. I have to say, your hatred of the medieval did snap a cord in my heart, but I can understand where you're coming from. As for the oppresive religion, it really depends on execution.

Even as a religious person myself, I've played with the trope of having an oppressive religious figure, and I think it
Came out nicely. I think it only worked because the oppresive religion actually had a logical reason for existing, and that was because it came at a time were the peolple of the country had low nationalism. So the religion filled the void in people's spirit.

I also like how Dragon age does it, because the religious people are not depicted as nutjobs. The mages in that world can cause some serious damage, so I'd argue that the oppresive church there is understandable.

It's just that overall, I feel it's a trope that people add when they feel like forcing in social commentary into their stories. And it comes off superficial as a result.

Sent from my SM-J700M using Tapatalk

Damn, we really are on the opposite side of the spectrum. I have to say, your hatred of the medieval did snap a cord in my heart, but I can understand where you're coming from. As for the oppresive religion, it really depends on execution.

Even as a religious person myself, I've played with the trope of having an oppressive religious figure, and I think it
Came out nicely. I think it only worked because the oppresive religion actually had a logical reason for existing, and that was because it came at a time were the peolple of the country had low nationalism. So the religion filled the void in people's spirit.

I also like how Dragon age does it, because the religious people are not depicted as nutjobs. The mages in that world can cause some serious damage, so I'd argue that the oppresive church there is understandable.

It's just that overall, I feel it's a trope that people add when they feel like forcing in social commentary into their stories. And it comes off superficial as a result.

Haha!

I...Can I call myself a non-religious Christian? Love God, hate organized religion.

That out of the way...

My organized religion antagonist explicitly is made up. It was invented for the purpose of oppression. Characters in the story do have ideas on whether a god or gods might exist, but otherwise there isn't a significant presence of "organized religion."

Heliotrope

Staff
Article Team
I'm with dragon for mostly everything. I can't stand anything d and d or Tolkienesque. You guys will probably hang me, but I didn't even read LOTR until I was well into adulthood because I found is so boring.

I can't stand anything that seems like it was copied from Oblivion or Skyrim or Fable. Loved the games, hate how that tone and setting dominates fantasy literature right now.

So yeah, this means I love fantasy but I don't love traditional fantasy. I don't like Tolkien, or Salvatore, or Jordan. I prefer Gaiman, or Marquez.

I prefer highly character driven stories. I hate stories about heroes and prefer stories about underdogs. I love stories about main characters who surprise me, like disabled people. Or the elderly, or pregnant women.

I can't stand anything military or military related. Soldiers or warriors make me gag.

I like urban fantasy, time travel, the supernatural, or magical realism.

I like stories that will teach me something about humanity. Usually they are literary.

As far as aesthetic, I love flat book covers. Not glossy. Flat. Something about flat covers screams character driven for some reason.

I'm with dragon for mostly everything. I can't stand anything d and d or Tolkienesque. You guys will probably hang me, but I didn't even read LOTR until I was well into adulthood because I found is so boring.

I can't stand anything that seems like it was copied from Oblivion or Skyrim or Fable. Loved the games, hate how that tone and setting dominates fantasy literature right now.

So yeah, this means I love fantasy but I don't love traditional fantasy. I don't like Tolkien, or Salvatore, or Jordan. I prefer Gaiman, or Marquez.

I prefer highly character driven stories. I hate stories about heroes and prefer stories about underdogs. I love stories about main characters who surprise me, like disabled people. Or the elderly, or pregnant women.

I can't stand anything military or military related. Soldiers or warriors make me gag.

I like urban fantasy, time travel, the supernatural, or magical realism.

I like stories that will teach me something about humanity. Usually they are literary.

As far as aesthetic, I love flat book covers. Not glossy. Flat. Something about flat covers screams character driven for some reason.
I've always been more of a conservative traditionalist with my fantasy. I embrace the Tolkien, Jordan, and Salvatore, and pay only passing respect toward magical realism.

I also dislike a lot of literary fiction, as I find that much of it tends to be nihilistic drivel in my opinion. Frankly, I think Mark Twain's lighthearted stories would be among the few pieces of literary fiction I enjoy, due to its optimism.

Also, while I love classical Tolkien and Skyrim style fantasy, my favorite settings have a lot in common with JRPGs like final fantasy. I guess that's why I like Wheel of Time, because I feel it mixes classic fantasy with that JRPG feel. Despite Jordan probably never having played one.

So I guess I like optimistic or hopeful literature, which is why I have disdain for the modern Grimdark movement. Which is weird, since my introduction to fantasy reading was Elric of Melnibone.

Time travel! That's a huge pet peeve for me. I actively avoid books with time travel. [emoji14]

Not that I haven't enjoyed time travel books...
Another thing we defer on! I play with time-travel in my fantasy. Not that they go back to the past, just that they are able to watch it unfold before their eyes during specific portions of the story. This is deliberate, as too much time travel can lead to plot holes!

I've always been more of a conservative traditionalist with my fantasy. I embrace the Tolkien, Jordan, and Salvatore, and pay only passing respect toward magical realism.

I also dislike a lot of literary fiction, as I find that much of it tends to be nihilistic drivel in my opinion. Frankly, I think Mark Twain's lighthearted stories would be among the few pieces of literary fiction I enjoy, due to its optimism.

Also, while I love classical Tolkien and Skyrim style fantasy, my favorite settings have a lot in common with JRPGs like final fantasy. I guess that's why I like Wheel of Time, because I feel it mixes classic fantasy with that JRPG feel. Despite Jordan probably never having played one.

So I guess I like optimistic or hopeful literature, which is why I have disdain for the modern Grimdark movement. Which is weird, since my introduction to fantasy reading was Elric of Melnibone.

I'd have to agree with you about nihilistic drivel. In YA (young adult) there is a huge move toward depressing endings. (The 'in YA everything is light and happy' cliche is utterly wrong.) Most of the recently published popular YA books end with the main character dying or at least not ending up with the love interest. No endings that even approach happy anywhere.

GRRM seems to have made senseless killing trendy, so...Somethin I've noticed: Its like people respect the guy for being the Grim Reaper. There's this respect they regard him with for having the nerve to kill his characters.

Except that he's not edgy anymore. He's average.

I'd have to agree with you about nihilistic drivel. In YA (young adult) there is a huge move toward depressing endings. (The 'in YA everything is light and happy' cliche is utterly wrong.) Most of the recently published popular YA books end with the main character dying or at least not ending up with the love interest. No endings that even approach happy anywhere.

GRRM seems to have made senseless killing trendy, so...Somethin I've noticed: Its like people respect the guy for being the Grim Reaper. There's this respect they regard him with for having the nerve to kill his characters.

Except that he's not edgy anymore. He's average.
Your words about GRRM are exactly my thoughts on him.

Lol, not so much as an adults, but as a kid. I write middle grades fiction, not adult fiction, so I write the stuff that inspired me as a kid. One of my favourites was The Root Cellar, by Janet Lunn. I also loved The Giver, A Wrinkle in Time, The City of Ember... so many others that were not traditional.

Never heard of The Root Cellar, but I loved (or still love) the other three.

I'm not *that* far past being a kid myself, ya know. I haven't read GRRM or many of the popular writers in the modern adult market. (I do have a distaste for pointless, gratuitous gore, so...that may be the reason.)

Heliotrope

Staff
Article Team
Ok cool, so you know what I mean by non-traditional fantasy :) sometimes I find it hard to explain. The other three are no less fantastical, even though they don't have dragons and a medieval setting. And they are so optimistic and inspiring, and they do touch on large themes about humanity without being 'drivel'.

I love fiction like that. That's the stuff I love to write.

Those are the books that inspired my imagination so much as a kid and I hope to be able to do the same.

Ok cool, so you know what I mean by non-traditional fantasy :) sometimes I find it hard to explain. The other three are no less fantastical, even though they don't have dragons and a medieval setting. And they are so optimistic and inspiring, and they do touch on large themes about humanity without being 'drivel'.

Those are the books that inspired my imagination so much as a kid and I hope to be able to do the same.
Don't get me wrong, not all literary fiction is bad. (I'd say most is, but that's a different story.) I've read the Wrinkle in Time and it is a great tale. I guess my goal as a writer is to transplant characters like those found in good literary fiction into settings that are more fun to digest in my opinion. I want the character complexity of literary fictiin without the pretentious tones that permeate so many (so many!) Of those works.

Don't get me wrong, not all literary fiction is bad. (I'd say most is, but that's a different story.) I've read the Wrinkle in Time and it is a great tale. I guess my goal as a writer is to transplant characters like those found in good literary fiction into settings that are more fun to digest in my opinion. I want the character complexity of literary fictiin without the pretentious tones that permeate so many (so many!) Of those works.

As do I...but the difference is, to me, D&D and medieval type settings aren't as much fun as boring, lol...

I'm much more into the deadly, parasite-filled jungles and flying cities.

It annoys me when people are unable to think of fantasy as anything other than "medieval with dragons and wizards." Fantasy is SO MUCH MORE.

As do I...but the difference is, to me, D&D and medieval type settings aren't as much fun as boring, lol...

I'm much more into the deadly, parasite-filled jungles and flying cities.
I'm with you on flying cities. My setting has a few of those. Also the Forgotten realms dnd setting has an empire made up of flying cities so...