• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

What could a scientist in my Star Wars fan fic be working on?

Maximum7

Dreamer
I’m trying to write a story about a scientist who is working on something in the era of the New Republic. He does not believe in the Force. I just need something for him to be researching. It really isn’t that important to the story; it just has to sound cool and scientific. Also it can’t have already been done in Legends or Canon. I want a fresh idea.

It cannot be

• A time machine
  • A teleporter
  • A matter replicator
  • A singularity Weapon
  • Any type of droid
  • Anything to do with holograms
  • A food synthesizer
  • Anything to do with the Force or Midi-chlorians
  • A shrink ray
  • A freeze ray
  • pico and femtotechnology
  • A Dyson sphere or any type of megastructure.
  • Liquid metal armor or a nano morph
  • Any improvements on the hyperdrive
  • Limb regeneration
  • Hyperspace nullifier
  • Holodeck
  • Knowledge Transfer (Instant learning like in the Matrix)
  • Philosophers Stone
  • Kinetic weapons
  • Solar sail
  • Anything to do with kyber crystals
  • Gene editing
  • Improvements on deflector shields
  • Mech suit
  • Exosuit
  • Gender change
  • Anything to do with anti-aging
  • In canon, during the Empire, scientists were researching methods to control droids, lasers that can punch through deflector shields and ship scale disintigrators. These ideas are therefore taken.
Any ideas?

LordWarGod

Dreamer
Seems like you've covered everything. The thing is that a lot of writers from WH40k are also struggling with this and are taking ideas from other stories/games/universes to keep up. It might be better to expand on an existing idea in Star Wars instead?

K.S. Crooks

Maester
You said the scientist doesn't believe in The Force, but what if they were trying to artificially create the abilities in a person? This would allow anyone to become a Jedi or Sith.

WooHooMan

Auror
4th dimensional anomalies and entities. An alien life form invisible and intangible.
There’s precedence for this considering all the weird force-creatures in Star Wars as well as the existence of hyperspace.

Maybe some kind of biological or chemical weapon which the Star Wars universe is curiously lacking of.

WooHooMan

Auror
Considering Star Wars was intended to be WW2 in space (with a dash of the Cold War), I guess you should make some kind of fantastic sci-fi-y equivalent to the stuff that the Nazi's and Soviets were working on: eugenics, atomic energy, occult research, animal-human hybrids, etc.

Also, the Clone War were at least initially inspired by the Butlerian Jihad from Dune which was caused by humans warring with artificial intelligence so maybe this scientist could be working on some kind of AI supercomputer. Even though that's more something an engineer would be working on.

Devor

Fiery Keeper of the Hat
How about a warp-destabilizing wormhole transmogrifier to prevent invasions from alternate fandoms?

Another possibility might involve artificial enhancements that could be applied to clones. The options may sound pretty typical sci-fi cyberware, but by applying them to clones, who are disposable, you ramp up the level of danger you can apply to their cybernetic enhancements, and even modify their genetic code to be more compatible in growing the perfect super-cyborgs. For example, a stim pack that tears open their muscles to enhance their abilities could be common place among disposable soldiers instead of one guy's last resort.

Trying to create a virus, or a cure for one, depending on whether his intentions are nefarious or not.

Trying to fuse the brains/consciousness of a bunch of different beings to create one extra enlightened being with extraordinary mental capacities.

Something to do with terraforming moons, perhaps. I always wondered about terraforming in star wars.

Maximum7

Dreamer
Trying to create a virus, or a cure for one, depending on whether his intentions are nefarious or not.

Trying to fuse the brains/consciousness of a bunch of different beings to create one extra enlightened being with extraordinary mental capacities.

Something to do with terraforming moons, perhaps. I always wondered about terraforming in star wars.

I REALLY like the brain fusing idea. What would you call such a procedure? And I take it literally. Working with conscious minds alone is an affront to the Force and would cause problems for the story. What would you call stitching and merging grey matter of different aliens together? Thanks!!!

Sam Williams

Gravitational abberation complex: a system of machines that can gently alter the direction of gravity.
Intermetalic energy alloy plating: integrated energy shield within the plating of a ship to allow for reduced weight and higher effective defence.
If it doesn't matter to the story and it just has to sound cool, maybe one of these?

Sam Williams

I REALLY like the brain fusing idea. What would you call such a procedure? And I take it literally. Working with conscious minds alone is an affront to the Force and would cause problems for the story. What would you call stitching and merging grey matter of different aliens together? Thanks!!!
Maybe
'Heristic formation of amalgamated sentience'

pmmg

Myth Weaver
I am not sure how one could be in the star wars universe is disbelieve the force, it would seem there is a lot of evidence of it. I suppose as time went on and there was only Luke... But I don't think the new republic stayed that way.

But, given that the old republic was destroyed by the empire and the empire had a big gun that blew up planets, it would seem there might be some desire to circumvent that technology. So how about a death star killing gun, and a shield that prevents a death star like beam from penetrating to the planet.

Or, given that there are some who would like their weapon back, maybe a technology that prevents small fighters from blowing the big thing up. (Imagine being the insurance company that covered that one...).

Maximum7

Dreamer
I was down to 3 ideas. A Guided recirprocating deflector shield from someone on abovetopsecret forums, Synthetic coaxium from FFG forums and The Dynamics of an Asteroid Field on Sjgames. I decided against the shield because it was too wordy and could be a game changer. The coaxium I felt ruined the rarity of hyperfuel and the asteroid belt analyzation was good but their are likely billions of asteroid fields in the galaxy. Who the hell cares about plotting one.

Maximum7

Dreamer
Gravitational abberation complex: a system of machines that can gently alter the direction of gravity.
Intermetalic energy alloy plating: integrated energy shield within the plating of a ship to allow for reduced weight and higher effective defence.
If it doesn't matter to the story and it just has to sound cool, maybe one of these?

I really REALLY liked your two ideas. Unfortunately your intermetallic energy alloy playing exists (I found it on Wookieepedia) and their is a TON of gravity stuff in Star Wars.

Do you have any more great ideas?

pmmg

Myth Weaver
...the asteroid belt analyzation was good but their are likely billions of asteroid fields in the galaxy. Who the hell cares about plotting one.

Smugglers...

How about a device that lets them do holographic messages without looking so grainy.