• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

What do you look for in a book cover?

Marscaleb

Scribe
I prefer book covers that try to show a scene from the novel. Like just finding one cool scene and then taking a picture of it. Basically something that says "this is what you'll find in this story!"
Maybe that reveals my age here.

The last book I read had a cover where you see a guy, a centaur, and a griffin fighting a dragon. It was from a scene from about a quarter into the book, where the main character, a centaur, and a griffin fought a dragon.
I mean, I don't know how to make it sound more badass than that.

But book covers today are more about showing one guy standing around doing nothing but with a serious look on his/her face. Okay, whatever. I guess there's no dragons in your book because I don't see any on the cover.

But then again, I almost never actually buy books, so maybe my opinion shouldn't be trusted.

Demesnedenoir

Myth Weaver
I was glancing at the SPFBO9 cover contest and thought of this thread. The two top vote-getters thus far are... nothing I would even look twice at, heh heh. Not even close. I thought that last year's batch of covers was far more impressive. The trend this year is way too busy artwork for my taste. Could cause seizures or permanently crossed eyes.

I like some of them. And for some I can see why they work, though I don't like them. But that'sbecause I'm not the intended audience for those. Others I don't like. I am surprised to not see The Contessa in there somewhere, I think that's a great cover.

Demesnedenoir

Myth Weaver
I agree, but I'm prejudiced, LOL. I was honest and said "I don't know" if AI was used in the creation of the cover since I didn't make it. I know they blocked admittedly AI covers.

Some I appreciate as art, or as "cool" but as book covers? Nah. Looking at these has also reinforced the power of the image and title when combined. Across the whole contest there are a lot of titles I like with covers I don't and the opposite, covers I like, but the titles are dull or speak to a genre I wouldn't touch.

My vote was The Last Fang of God, not my own, but I'm a sucker for wolf imagery. it's also one of the few where I like the title and cover.

I like some of them. And for some I can see why they work, though I don't like them. But that'sbecause I'm not the intended audience for those. Others I don't like. I am surprised to not see The Contessa in there somewhere, I think that's a great cover.

pmmg

Myth Weaver
Well, the one on top of the list captures a vibe that I usually equate to BS, but a lot of people like. I do like the second place winner. I think Contessa has a one of the best covers of the group.

Demesnedenoir

Myth Weaver
In that group in particular, I thought it had a shot. But cover tastes run a wide gamut. I agree with the BS assessment, but then, judging a book by its cover and yada yada, LOL.
Well, the one on top of the list captures a vibe that I usually equate to BS, but a lot of people like. I do like the second place winner. I think Contessa has a one of the best covers of the group.

pmmg

Myth Weaver
I find this type of cover to be very trendy right now. Some woman with a light behind her head.

Definitely makes one look, but it does not really stand out to me. Kind of just more of the same.

Sadly, I think this is most likely the route mine will go...We'll see...

Book covers are hard :arghh:

ACrownofChains_FantasyBookCoverDesign.jpg
images
e3a9285b29af8659750a06913bc06fe897fa7e46.jpg

Demesnedenoir

Myth Weaver
Of course, I just took a look at a bunch of covers in New Release top 100 on Amazon to find several that look they feature a sex doll in lingerie. Dark Fantasy Category. Yup.

Ban

Troglodytic Trouvère
Article Team
I like to follow the principles that Dieter Rams layed out:

Good design is innovative.

Good design makes a product useful.

Good design is aesthetic.

Good design makes a product understandable.

Good design is unobtrusive.

Good design is honest.

Good design is long-lasting.

Good design is thorough down to the last detail.

Good design is environmentally-friendly.

Good design is as little design as possible.
Seems I disagree with mister Rams. Good design is whatever suits the work. If it is big, theatrical and boisterous epic, an in-your-face maximalist cover will do it greater justice than an understated, minimalist one. If the book is a by-the-books manual, it is served best by a traditional and non-innovative cover. If it is an experimental, punk work, let it shine through in shoddy, outsider art.

Ban

Troglodytic Trouvère
Article Team
I'm going to disagree with the idea that a cover is art. Yes, creating it is definitely very artistic, and there are definitely covers as lovely as some paintings out there. But a cover's purpose is not to be art. It is to sell the book.
Much of Alphonse Mucha's work was made to sell products, but I'd be hard-pressed to find an art connoisseur who doesn't consider his oeuvre art. It's a bit of an odd distinction.

Insolent Lad

Maester
I do not depend on a cover to tell me what genre a book might be. I trust the book store to place it in the correct section. I care more about what the rear blurb tells me than what picture might be on the front. Lets face it, most of them look much the same anyway.

What I do look for in a cover is the title large and easy to read. Especially if it is thumbnail in an online store.

pmmg

Myth Weaver
I do not depend on a cover to tell me what genre a book might be. I trust the book store to place it in the correct section. I care more about what the rear blurb tells me than what picture might be on the front. Lets face it, most of them look much the same anyway.

What I do look for in a cover is the title large and easy to read. Especially if it is thumbnail in an online store.
One thing I dont understand (and I see this more with netflix than books), but putting the title in an unreadable font. What the point of that? I want to get what the title is without having to dig deeper.

Let’s face it, we all judge a book by its cover! I mean, no it’s not the most important thing, but the designer in me is looking forward to playing around with visuals.

I have some fairytale / fantasy short stories that I’d like to publish online within the next month or so, and I’m starting to think about cover design along with promotional material to go with it. I’m doing everything myself, but I have a professional standard set for the design side of things - (the writing might be amateur) - but I’d like to know what you all look for in a cover design? What appeals to you?
Honestly, the book cover might catch my eye but the description of the story and reviews draw me in way more than the covers. I can't tell you how many books I've looked at that have beautiful covers but the description and story itself sent me running. As an avid reader of fantasy romance, I don't like my book covers to have half naked people on them. It screams to the world, hey I'm reading a smut book, lol. Not sure how much help I was but ultimately everyone has different tastes in art. Book covers are art, it will appeal to some while repelling others. I don't know how many people actually scan the cover before reading the book description. My copy of JRR Tolkien's The Hobbit has an awful cover that depicts a fat middle aged man holding a sword. Still read the book, it didn't deter me at 18 years old, I only cared about reading a good book. Robert Jordan's book covers always bothered me because the artist seriously overaged the characters, I think.

Demesnedenoir

Myth Weaver
AI War over the winner of the SPFBO cover contest, Bob the Wizard. They've now got process shots up to prove it wasn't AI, LMAO.

Demesnedenoir

Myth Weaver
Anecdotal evidence on The Contessa's cover is that it appeals to Epic Fantasy more so than other Amazon Categories, as I was running ads aimed at categories for the hell of it. Epic Fantasy is followed close by Action and Adventure Fantasy, with none of the others close. Although, not all of them are well-represented by impressions yet.

This sort of thing could be fun to watch.

pmmg

Myth Weaver
They are wanting him to prove its not AI? Does this go in a the category of why we cant have good things?