1. Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us.

What genres do you read most?

Discussion in 'Novels & Stories' started by Steerpike, Aug 31, 2017.

1. Aryth

Aryth Minstrel

2. ScorpionWoman

ScorpionWoman Dreamer

Fantasy
    Romance
    Thriller
    With hint of sy-fi here and there.
    I haven't been able to do too much reading over the past two years sadly.

3. Hir i-Chorvath

Hir i-Chorvath Maester

I read strictly fantasy and only occasionally a love story. I prefer stories with lots of action and fighting and as little politics as possible.

Dark Lord Thomas Pie likes this.
  4. Rkcapps

Rkcapps Sage

Mainly fantasy, some thrillers, but also classics and books on the craft.

5. D. Gray Warrior

D. Gray Warrior Troubadour

Alas, I am not an avid reader of novels, but I prefer comics and graphic novels and I think I actually enjoy science fiction more, but I find it harder to write.

Most of the fantasy I am into seem to be science fantasy that mesh magic and mythical creatures in a high tech setting complete with robots and computers, but it can come across as kitchen-stinky if not careful.

6. Zander Willmore

Zander Willmore Minstrel

I read a lot of Alt History. Harry Turtledove is my favorite writer. I also read a lot of history like John Jakes. I oddly enough read very little fantasy but I am trying to change that. David Eddings has some great books that I have read. But I cant find too much of his stuff in the Kindle Store.

7. Insolent Lad

Insolent Lad Inkling

These days, the greater part of my reading (certainly well more than half) is classic/literary/mainstreamish stuff. I, in part, blame Project Gutenberg for that. There's just so much good stuff from the past available free there. And some not so good, admittedly. Once upon a time, fantasy would have been number one with me and, before that (when I was a teen), science fiction. I read little new work from either of those genres now but do include some older fantasy and SF, as well as some action/adventure stuff (just worked through the entire Ian Fleming).

8. zeus2020

zeus2020 Acolyte

I like horror books, fantasy, and mystery

9. Yora

Yora Maester

To misquote the Blues Brothers:
    "Oh, I read both kinds. Heroic Fantasy and Sword & Sorcery."

10. Lynea

Lynea Troubadour

I enjoy pretty much any story with a magical or supernatural element. Lately, though, I've been reading contemporary romance- some even with a fantasy twist to it. As far as actual fantasy goes, I haven't picked up anything recent. I've also been dipping into the whole manga thing....which has never been a serious interest of mine. But I check it out because my boyfriend loves it.

11. Gurkhal

Gurkhal Auror

History and historical fiction.

12. Jess Reynolds

Jess Reynolds Closed Account

My main interest is Nordic mythology, followed by the Viking's major influence on Britain. Then Swedish and Norwegian history in the 17th and 18th centuries. Next the Celts and how they spread into Europe defeating even the Romans, finally the Napoleonic era and his battles. Then modern writers like Thomas Hardy however the Jeeves and Wooster books between the wars will always be a firm favourite !

13. jacksimmons

jacksimmons Scribe

I mostly read science fiction. I have been piling through everything by Philip K Dick I can get my hands on. Right now I am reading Niven's Ringworld.

14. Comedic Fantasy
    High Fantasy
    Superheroes
    Harry Potter
    The rest of my fiction books are of assorted genres, mostly humorous realistic fiction and a bit of urban fantasy. Very little sci-fi

15. Ned Marcus

Ned Marcus Sage

85% Fantasy
    10% Classics
    The rest is a mixture of science fiction, thrillers, and anything else that interests me. Of course, percentages change over time. And I read quite a lot of nonfiction, but that's another thing.

16. Lancasrer

Lancasrer Dreamer

I like Westerns.