• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

What kind of beliefs do you live by?

Fnord

Troubadour
People should be free to act, believe, and pursue happiness so long as they don't inhibit others from doing the same.

I can't eat anything that looked like it did when it was alive.

Free markets and creative destruction.

I am an anti-authoritarian Baptist aging punk rocker who believes the world needs more footnotes.[1]

I never met a windmill I didn't want to tilt, and I never met a windmill that didn't eventually kick my ass.

I agree with G.K. Chesterton when he said "if a thing is worth doing, it's worth doing poorly."

I believe the only really important trick to writing is getting the reader to buy in. Do that and you can get away with anything else.

--------
[1]Yes, footnotes.

On principle, I don't kill animals, including insects and arachnids. I consider it to be abuse of power - a mosquito or a spider can't actually harm me in any meaningful way, whereas I can obliderate them with a single motion. I like to think that the strong should not destroy the weak simply because they can, or because the weak are annoying or ugly.

I also think that life should idealy always be preserved, because I see death as inherently negative and I don't believe in fates worse then death.

On the other hand, I don't believe violence is necessarily bad thing. In fact, sometimes violence is righteous and there are even rare times it should be used on principle.

I believe one should ultimately only hold oneself responsible for ones own wishes or standards, and never distrubute responsibility for those things unto other people. Neither should one try to take responsibility for others.

Finally, I believe a man should strive to be gallant and chivalrous.

Last edited:
I suppose I am a quiet Christian - strong belief but don't shout about it. I firmly believe that every day one should try to be happy, to make others happy, be kind to people and creatures and never end a day on a disagreement. I'm also a firm believer in giving everything a try, no matter how scary it might be - get on that rollercoaster, you never know, you just might enjoy it!;)

ArielFingolfin

Troubadour
I suppose I am a quiet Christian - strong belief but don't shout about it.

I'd have to say I agree with that.

Also one of my mottos is 'always do what you're afraid of' (not to be taken a hundred percent literally, obviously). My theory is that fear has a fearful nature; if you face it, it runs. Sure, it might be a train wreck, but at least you won't be afraid anymore!