1. Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us.

What makes you give up on a book?

Discussion in 'Novels & Stories' started by Ghost, Apr 12, 2012.

1. I stop reading a book if it starts to bore me. I see no point in reading stories that fail to entertain. The book has to interest me from beginning to end.

I also tend to stop reading when I get the feeling I'm smarter than the author, or when I feel I disagree with the author's opinions, or if I think I could do something better than the author.

...In fact, if the book is making me draw any kind of conclusions about its author, that's probably a bad sign right there. When I'm reading a book, I really shouldn't be thinking about the author.

Finally, I must admit: I can't handle embarassment, literally can't stand it, so if something embarassing happens to one of the characters, I tend to put the book down. It won't necessarily make me drop it entirely, but it takes some willpower for me to power through that embarassing part.

2. CupofJoe

CupofJoe Vala

Apart from the nebulous [such as I don't like the authors style] what I don't like and will make me stop reading are superhuman characters [supra-human is okay]. If someone is the ultimate warrior and an amazing lover - make them a lousy cook, unbearably arrogant or give them BO, anything to let have them a flaw.

3. In retrospect, I think the main thing that puts me off books is when nothing bad ever really happens, and all challenges are overcome with minimal effort. I know I've enjoyed a book when I feel like the protagonist is actually in danger. When I notice that I'm not concerned, or that I don't care what happens to the protagonist, it's not doing its job.

4. grimreaper

grimreaper Scribe

I tend to put a book down either when nothing interesting or worthwhile seems to happen for sometime , when the protagonists seem to be winning too easily or , conversely, when the protagonists start suffering too much without any kind of redemption and the villains keep winning(that's what made me put down martin's asoiaf series after book 3).
    Oh, and I also find paper thin, 1 or 2-D characters to be very irritating , though I might not always put a book down because of that.