• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

What music do you like? Favorite song?

Ravana

Istar
And all I can think is, "I have to see about downloading some of that...." Seriously. I need help.

You will if you do.… ;)

You call that "metal," Codey? What's wrong with some good old Judas Priest or Iron Maiden? Geez, nobody listens to classical music any more.… :p

Last edited by a moderator:

Shadoe

Sage
The scary part is that I've already got a couple CDs of Chinese opera. (I had to go look up some samples online to know this.) I bought one CD at a Chinese shop - it was entirely in Chinese, which I don't have a hope in hell of understanding, but I thought I'd give it a try. I picked one out because I liked the colors on the cover. I liked it, so went back for another one.

When I say I like all kinds of music, I really mean it.

Besides, after listening to Klingon opera, Chinese opera is practically soothing.

Codey Amprim

Staff
Article Team
You will if you do.… ;)

You call that "metal," Codey? What's wrong with some good old Judas Priest or Iron Maiden? Geez, nobody listens to classical music any more.… :p

Like I said, that's all I could think of on the spot. I like old Metallica, Pantera, some Ozzy and Black Sabbath, too. But I'm young and I like the newer stuff more haha

Fnord

Troubadour
I'm a musician and I'm all over the map. I grew up a classic rock/punk/metal kid (Led Zeppelin, Black Sabbath, the Who, Black Flag, Dead Kennedys, Big Black, Iron Maiden, Megadeth, Judas Priest, etc, etc) and got into traditional jazz (Coltrane, Art Blakey, Dave Brubeck, etc) and then got into different mixtures of those genres (Sleepytime Gorilla Museum, Secret Chiefs 3, Estradasphere, etc) and listen to a lot of really weird music that crosses lots of different genres (Ved Buens Ende, Thorns, Ulver, Tub ring, etc) and I still listen to lots of stuff from Motorhead to Miles Davis to Mastodon.

I have a pretty good appreciation of music in any genre and my CD collection (actual physical CDs to you young-uns) is pretty massive.

Xanados

Maester
*Sigh*

Kids in this thread talking about METAL and then saying "Three Days Grace"

Black Sabbath
Manowar
Dio
Iced Earth
Maiden
Priest
Blind Guardian
Dragonland
Demons and Wizards
Falconer
Ensiferum
Battlelore
Luca Turilli
Tyr
Stormwarrior
Slayer
Overkill
Turisas
Rhapsody of Fire
Megadeth
(I have over 150 Metal Bands in my collection. Non of which are screamo, emo, scene...whatever the hell it is these days.)

Everything I listen to was produced before I was born.

I also listen to instrumental video game/epic music/Flutes and all that.

Last edited:

JCFarnham

Auror
I'm a musician and I'm all over the map. I grew up a classic rock/punk/metal kid (Led Zeppelin, Black Sabbath, the Who, Black Flag, Dead Kennedys, Big Black, Iron Maiden, Megadeth, Judas Priest, etc, etc) and got into traditional jazz (Coltrane, Art Blakey, Dave Brubeck, etc) and then got into different mixtures of those genres (Sleepytime Gorilla Museum, Secret Chiefs 3, Estradasphere, etc) and listen to a lot of really weird music that crosses lots of different genres (Ved Buens Ende, Thorns, Ulver, Tub ring, etc) and I still listen to lots of stuff from Motorhead to Miles Davis to Mastodon.

I have a pretty good appreciation of music in any genre and my CD collection (actual physical CDs to you young-uns) is pretty massive.

I think you may actually be... me.

So yeah no need to say anything different aside from I started with bands like Nickleback, sidetracked through metal, and THEN ended up where Fnord did. Weird how that works isn't it? :)

Hans

Sage
My favourite music? Well, ask me which music I don't like. That list is shorter.
When I set my music player on "random" that's a sure clashing with the style. It goes from classical over musical and opera, folk, blues, jazz, rock, some pop to metal an many more styles.
My favourite band at the moment is Van Canto. But that's subject to change.

And whoever tries to tell classical and metal do not go together well doesn't know at least one of these two.

Xanados

Maester
My favourite music? Well, ask me which music I don't like. That list is shorter.
When I set my music player on "random" that's a sure clashing with the style. It goes from classical over musical and opera, folk, blues, jazz, rock, some pop to metal an many more styles.
My favourite band at the moment is Van Canto. But that's subject to change.

And whoever tries to tell classical and metal do not go together well doesn't know at least one of these two.
Van Canto is pretty awesome. Comical...but awesome. I love their Manowar covers.

I'm going to tell my favorite songs by my favorite bands.
Amberian Dawn - He sleeps in a Grove, Kokko - Eagle of Fire, River of Tuoni, Valkyries, Ghostly Echos and Sampo
Delain - Silhouette of a Dancer, Sleepwalker's Dream and April Rain
Disturbed - Believe, Remember, Enough, I'm alive and Asylum
Deathstars - Cyanide, Death in Vogue, Genocide and Opium
Katra - Flow, Beast Within, Forgotten Bride and Fade to Gray
Legenda Aurea - F44.8, Sedna and As the Leaves Fly
Nightwish - Elvenpath, Ever Dream, Ocean Soul, Nemo, Wanderlust and Wishmaster
Rammstein - Haifisch, Liebe ist für alle da and Adios
System of a Down - I-E-A-I-A-I-O, Know, X and Outer Space
Tacere - Black roses and Into your dreams
Xandria - India, kill the sun and Isis/osiris
I totally could have named more songs....

Xanados

Maester
I'm going to tell my favorite songs by my favorite bands.
Amberian Dawn - He sleeps in a Grove, Kokko - Eagle of Fire, River of Tuoni, Valkyries, Ghostly Echos and Sampo
Delain - Silhouette of a Dancer, Sleepwalker's Dream and April Rain
Disturbed - Believe, Remember, Enough, I'm alive and Asylum
Deathstars - Cyanide, Death in Vogue, Genocide and Opium
Katra - Flow, Beast Within, Forgotten Bride and Fade to Gray
Legenda Aurea - F44.8, Sedna and As the Leaves Fly
Nightwish - Elvenpath, Ever Dream, Ocean Soul, Nemo, Wanderlust and Wishmaster
Rammstein - Haifisch, Liebe ist für alle da and Adios
System of a Down - I-E-A-I-A-I-O, Know, X and Outer Space
Tacere - Black roses and Into your dreams
Xandria - India, kill the sun and Isis/osiris
I totally could have named more songs....
Ugh, please. I can smell the teenage angst from here.

I'm saying this and I am eighteen. Strange, right?
I used to listen to Disturbed when I was twelve years old.

Listen to some real metal that isn't about cutting for attention or how your girlfreind left you. ;)

Last edited:
Ugh, please. I can smell the teenage angst from here.

I'm saying this and I am eighteen. Strange, right?
I used to listen to Disturbed when I was twelve years old.

Listen to some real metal that isn't about cutting for attention or how your girlfreind left you. ;)

Don't go knocking good music just because you don't like it. Where do you see any emo-"metal" on there?

Last edited:

Black Dragon

Staff
Administrator
Everyone,

Please remember the guiding principle:

3. The Guiding Principle

The guiding principle is to treat others with respect and dignity, and to foster a positive, welcoming and family-friendly community.

You will find the rest of the rules here:

Forum Guidelines

Let's each do our part to keep Mythic Scribes a supportive, welcoming environment for fantasy writers.

Thank you.

myrddin173

Maester
I guess I am different from most people when I say I love country music! I am also a big fan of Celtic music such as Celtic Woman and Celtic Thunder. A new band I just started listening to is Enter the Haggis which is just awesome. I also listen to some ska music.

Ophiucha

Auror
I listen to a bit of everything, buy my preferences definitely tend towards hard rock and heavy metal. If I am going to have to pick favourites, that changes all the time, but here's some of my consistent favourites (not all rock/metal): Bon Jovi, Disturbed, Eisbrecher, Eminem, Epica, In This Moment, Kamelot, Ennio Morricone, Nightwish, Oomph!, Rammstein, Rhapsody of Fire, Stephen Schwartz, Howard Shore (obviously), Igor Stravinsky, Pyotr Ilyich Tchaikovsky, Tokyo Ska Paradise Orchestra, Tyr, Volbeat.

Arkona, Paul Dukas (the composer of 'The Sorcerer's Apprentice', fyi), Patrick Fiori, Manigance, Moddest Mussorgsky, and Origa (she sings the opening to Ghost in the Shell, for any anime fans) are all ones I've been listening to a lot of recently; not sure which ones will still be my top-played in a few months, though. Also, any of the songs with Valjean or Javert from Les Miserables. If you ever tread into my last.fm account, there are a lot of periods where 'Fantine's Death - Confrontation' is being played eight or nine times in a row.

Favourite songs? The three 'Elizabeth' songs from Kamelot's "Karma" album, the aforementioned song from Les Mis, "The Promise" by In This Moment, the Oogie Boogie song from "Nightmare on Elm Street", 'The Plagues' from "Prince of Egypt", 'Gollum's Song' from the second LotR movie, and the Megaherz cover of 'Rock me Amadeus'.

Seems like I'm the only one here who doesn't hate rap. My favorite bands are Indie/Jam bands, but I love a lot of different music. Love rock, especially old rock. Don't mind newer country, like a lot of rap, but not all (lil Wayne and Waka Flocka need to stop making music, among others). I like reggae, some chill beach music, and some other stuff I can't think of right now. What I don't like: metal, scream-o, dubstep (come on, that's not even music), classical, or opera.

Favorite artists/songs:
Dispatch: The General, Hey Hey, Elias, everything else... You should really check them out
State Radio: Camilo, Mr. Larkin, Gang of Thieves, Gunship Politico, and almost everything else
Dave: Ants Marching, Lie in Our Graves, Grace is Gone, The Maker
Barefoot Truth: Roland, Roll if Ya Fall, The Ocean, Walk Softly
Jack Johnson: Banana Pancakes, Better Together, Good People, Never Know
Eminem: Stan, When I'm Gone, The Way I Am
Lupe Fiasco: Little Weapon, The Show Goes On
Nas: Life's a B****, The World is Yours
Tupac: Life Goes On, Keep Ya Head Up
Logic: All I Do
And many more but this is getting a bit long

Paul

Acolyte
Hi there everybody. My name is Paul and although i love music, my favourite songs(that inspire me) are New Divide by Linkin Park, Fireflies by Owl City and Extraterrestrials by Kathy Perry.

Thalian

Scribe
My favorite band of all time, without a doubt, is Dream Theater. They are a Progressive Rock/Metal band that literally has a taste of just about all kinds of music. My favorite album by them is Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence, and my favorite songs being The Great Debate, Hell's Kitchen, These Walls, Octavarium, and Learning To Live.

Other bands that I listen to include Alice In Chains, Alter Bridge, Creed, Soilwork, Nevermore, Opeth, James Labrie, Meshuggah, Porcupine Tree, Rush, and Rage Against The Machine. I also love orchestras, and I find myself listening to The Lord of The Rings and the Harry Potter soundtracks quite often.