• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

What questions pop into your head when reading about this world?

BRG

Dreamer
I came up with this setting quickly, at least compared to how much it usually takes me to come up with detailed settings. Too quickly, in my opinion. So I thought of a way to help me fill any possible logical gap that could left the reader thinking "Wait, what?" while reading the story. So, please, don't be shy and ask me as many questions as you can think when reading about this:

In the Great Nowhere (basically space) a titanic being called the Leviathan roamed. One day, creatures called fairies descended upon its body and decided to live in it. They gave birth to creatures that called themselves Feyspawn. But because of having been born in a different world, the Feyspawn act and think completely different from fairies (think humans and the gods from the Cthulhu Mythos). This means that while often having good intentions, fairies tend to cause horrible damage to Feyspawn society. When this happens and negotiations fail, magic is used to combat fairies. In the kingdom of Alazar the most important organization is the Grimspiner family composed of great masters of magic that train others in order to defend the kingdom.

Chasejxyz

Inkling
So what exactly is this Leviathan? I'm imagining a giant space whale and that the feyspawn are essentially (whale)lice just kinda hanging out and doing their thing. The world being made of the corpse of some long-dead titan is a common enough thing in myth, but this is a still-living thing. Is it aware of the beings that live on/in it? Does it care? Does it inadvertently cause great destruction?

The idea of a party of adventures setting out to prevent further "anger from the gods" and discovering that they're just parasites on some uber-god, who doesn't think of them at all, can be really interesting. You can really get into the whole cosmic horror part of it, since I doubt the Leviathan cares about the untold millions it might kill going about its daily business.

My take on reading this was that Leviathan must be a personification of the planet. So, not literally an animal. Like the Great Turtle in Algonquin cosmology (it's a stand in for Earth, or at least for land, as opposed to sea).

But I'm a bit lost on the difference between fairies and feyspawn. Are the feyspawn an entirely different species from fairies? If so, how did the fairies manage to give birth to them? If not, then feyspawn would merely be the fairies' descendants, so wouldn't they be fairies themselves?

And are fairies immortal? Seems they are, because they're still around for the feyspawn to cause trouble for after (it's implied) many generations of feyspawn have been born. Is this a myth analogous to, the gods birthed the human race but humans became sinful and made the gods upset?

Reactions: BRG

LAG

Troubadour
I figured the leviathan was a great humanoid, so vast that the feyspawn had space enough to live in its blood vessels. Not commenting on world or theme(bit tired after all-nighter), just sharing what my sleep-deprived mind imagined upon reading.

Reactions: BRG

BRG

Dreamer
What is the significance of the leviathan? Why have it?
Honestly? I just thought it would be cool.

So what exactly is this Leviathan? I'm imagining a giant space whale and that the feyspawn are essentially (whale)lice just kinda hanging out and doing their thing. The world being made of the corpse of some long-dead titan is a common enough thing in myth, but this is a still-living thing. Is it aware of the beings that live on/in it? Does it care? Does it inadvertently cause great destruction?

The idea of a party of adventures setting out to prevent further "anger from the gods" and discovering that they're just parasites on some uber-god, who doesn't think of them at all, can be really interesting. You can really get into the whole cosmic horror part of it, since I doubt the Leviathan cares about the untold millions it might kill going about its daily business.

That's pretty much the image I had in my head. I don't know if I want to delve too deeply into the cosmic horror genre. I don't want this story to be as bleak as most on it.

My take on reading this was that Leviathan must be a personification of the planet. So, not literally an animal. Like the Great Turtle in Algonquin cosmology (it's a stand in for Earth, or at least for land, as opposed to sea).

But I'm a bit lost on the difference between fairies and feyspawn. Are the feyspawn an entirely different species from fairies? If so, how did the fairies manage to give birth to them? If not, then feyspawn would merely be the fairies' descendants, so wouldn't they be fairies themselves?

And are fairies immortal? Seems they are, because they're still around for the feyspawn to cause trouble for after (it's implied) many generations of feyspawn have been born. Is this a myth analogous to, the gods birthed the human race but humans became sinful and made the gods upset?

My apologies, I should have explained this. There's a plot twist in relation to the fairies' origin related to this, but the feyspawn aren't fairies and as generations passed they evolved and became even more different. And yes, the fairies are inmmortal.

WooHooMan

Auror
So, there’s an implication that there are multiple feyspawn nations which leads me to think there are multiple fairy nations.
Are all feyspawn nations basically on the same boat when it comes to foreign diplomacy with fairy nations? Like, is it all fairy vs. feyspawn or are there neutral countries or nations with both peoples living in it?
And are there any intelligent life native to this “planet” besides the two?
Also, where did the fairies even come from and why did they leave? If they can’t peacefully co-exist with the spawn guys, why don’t they leave?

So those are the questions I come-up with. I’m sure I can come-up with more if I wanted to.

S J Lee

Inkling
the idea of a world built on a corpse is fine. Bor and his brothers killed Ymir the giant - the sky is the inside of his skull or something, the sea is his blood, the earth is his bones, and Bor's son, Odin, now rules in Asgard...? Nothing wrong with being influenced by this. As for faeries and feyspawn, just flesh out how long it took for the new race to become distinct, and what the races think of each other.

Other than that, it will come down to how you use it in the text. Ideas are cheap, execution is hard...

ButlerianHeretic

Troubadour
Tbh, I only have two issues. My first is that the term feyspawn is A) confusing because it is too much like the faries and that gets me distracted by trying to figure out the difference and B) it is distancing because I assume the protagonists are from the feyspawn and I don't really want to think of the protagoinists as being some alien thing but people that I can dive right into and understand from the beginning - so I'd say as an elevator pitch "fairies gave birth to the people of the world" - done. The second is that I feel like you are at present treating it like an idea, not a thing that is. And that's understandable because right now it is an idea, but if you are going to make something kinda surreal but also high concept like this work, then you gotta own it and it has to feel like this is a thing that really exists out there somewhere and you are just telling some stories from this actual crazy leviathan swimming through the void in some alternate universe with people surprisingly like us having adventures in the cracks of its skin. Cheers!