• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

What was the first thing you ever wrote and how old where you when you wrote it?

I knew I wanted to write when I was 7. The very first story I ever wrote was called "Brown Mist" and it about a small barn owl named Brown Mist who went on a journey to find the wizard that owned her LOL. I got awards in elementary school for it o_O I still read that 10 page story to my daughter who loves it.. Maybe I should get THAT published as a children's book LOL

Chilari

Staff
I don't know which came first, but I recall two different stories I wrote when very young, 8 ish I think. One was called the Black Cat and was about a girl who saw a black cat and followed it and found a witch's spellbook or something like that. It didn't get far. I wrote it on the old family PC, which had Windows 95, but we didn't get that PC until 96 or 97 I think, so I was about 8 or 9. Another one was for homework at school and it was about these two kids who got stuck in ancient caves while on a school trip to see cave paintings there. They discovered more cave paintings and some buried treasure, but a bad guy who worked at the site's gift shop wanted tehm to show him where it was and claim he found it instead of them. I think that was year 5, so I was 9 or possibly 10.

So even back then, I was into fantasy and history.

Kelise

Maester
No idea how old I was - four? seven? I'm horrible with ages... Anyway, it was at first a change to a story that i didn't like - so I made it 'better' - then I discovered halfway through that it could be totally different - ANYTHING I WANTED.

I stopped writing though, for a while, because Dad always grabbed whatever I was doing and I absolutely detested anyone reading my work without it being... well, something I offered them. So I didn't really write much again after that first year until the end of primary school, and since then it's been every day ^^ Except for this past year, which has been utterly WRITERS BLOCK OF DOOM.

I've always known I won't be able to write as a full time job and do nothing else - I'm way too used to living the luxury of a trip to Tokyo or London (or both) each other... so while I've thought for a long time that I'd love to be an author, it's been alongside the usual teacher, adventurer, librarian dreams. I know that someday I'll be able to write for a living - after two or three series are published... but until then.

Philip Overby

Staff
Article Team
The first thing I technically wrote was an anti-abortion poem called "Bobby John." I was like 13 or 14. It was pretty awful. My first story that I "started" was something about this assassin who was killing some random guards. It also was pretty awful.

My first official story that I completed was pretty messy as well. I don't even want to talk about that one...

I don't know which came first, but I recall two different stories I wrote when very young, 8 ish I think. One was called the Black Cat and was about a girl who saw a black cat and followed it and found a witch's spellbook or something like that. It didn't get far. I wrote it on the old family PC, which had Windows 95, but we didn't get that PC until 96 or 97 I think, so I was about 8 or 9. Another one was for homework at school and it was about these two kids who got stuck in ancient caves while on a school trip to see cave paintings there. They discovered more cave paintings and some buried treasure, but a bad guy who worked at the site's gift shop wanted tehm to show him where it was and claim he found it instead of them. I think that was year 5, so I was 9 or possibly 10.

So even back then, I was into fantasy and history.

That actually sounds really good for being so young o_O Maybe you should try to rewrite it now and see how different it'll come out now that you're older. I plan to that with Brown Mist only because that story's been stuck in my head forever >^.^<

No idea how old I was - four? seven? I'm horrible with ages... Anyway, it was at first a change to a story that i didn't like - so I made it 'better' - then I discovered halfway through that it could be totally different - ANYTHING I WANTED.

I stopped writing though, for a while, because Dad always grabbed whatever I was doing and I absolutely detested anyone reading my work without it being... well, something I offered them. So I didn't really write much again after that first year until the end of primary school, and since then it's been every day ^^ Except for this past year, which has been utterly WRITERS BLOCK OF DOOM.

I've always known I won't be able to write as a full time job and do nothing else - I'm way too used to living the luxury of a trip to Tokyo or London (or both) each other... so while I've thought for a long time that I'd love to be an author, it's been alongside the usual teacher, adventurer, librarian dreams. I know that someday I'll be able to write for a living - after two or three series are published... but until then.

oooh adventurer!!!!! I want to do that >.< I bet you can get tons of ideas by visiting other countries >.< Me and Bry want to visit New Zealand since so many fantsy and midievil things have been done there. I know we'd get a ton of ideas for settings alone by visiting a place with good landscapes LOL. I also know the not writing thing. My stoppage for a number of years had to do with the idiot that fathered my daughter he wouldn't let me do anything and that included writing but I've been trying to write steadily now at least a little between spending time with my daughter and with Bry LOL

Chilari

Staff
Maybe I will, as an exercise. Though the originals are lost so I have no point of comparison. Something to add to my summer projects list (after write a dissertation worthy of a distinction and dig at an iron age hill fort with the tutors and undergrads)

The first thing I technically wrote was an anti-abortion poem called "Bobby John." I was like 13 or 14. It was pretty awful. My first story that I "started" was something about this assassin who was killing some random guards. It also was pretty awful.

My first official story that I completed was pretty messy as well. I don't even want to talk about that one...

Phil you sound like me LOL I have actually written some pretty good poems.. but I am far from a poet o_O Everyone thinks I should give up on book writing and stick to poetry but Xosha.. my novel's world is my passion.. I think I'd be less then myself without it LOL. But yeah I think everything I've ever written pretty much sucks.. I don't understand why people like it so much LOL. When I find a copy of Brown Mist I'll post it on the showcase or something so you can see just how aweful the "greatest" work of my life is LMMFAO!

Maybe I will, as an exercise. Though the originals are lost so I have no point of comparison. Something to add to my summer projects list (after write a dissertation worthy of a distinction and dig at an iron age hill fort with the tutors and undergrads)

So long as you remember the basis of the original, you'll be able to do a rewrite >^.^< Then when it's done think bad on the original and compare what you remember to what you've rewritten... You'll be pleased with the results.. it's an excellent excersize and one I've used for years especially when I've gotten writer's block >^.^<

Dagzar

Dreamer
Oh god. Uh, I really can’t remember my first story, though the earliest one I can remember is this really awful dragon story I wrote when I was in seventh grade. All I really remember about it was that is focused on these elemental dragons and the people they were bonded to (who were my classmates’ self inserts). I know my dragon was either the darkness elemental dragon or the lightning, but I can’t remember which. I think it was darkness because my dragon was always colored purple and black when I drew it. I honestly remember the pictures I drew for the story more than the story itself since people kept commenting my dragons look liked horses. :(

Oh god. Uh, I really can’t remember my first story, though the earliest one I can remember is this really awful dragon story I wrote when I was in seventh grade. All I really remember about it was that is focused on these elemental dragons and the people they were bonded to (who were my classmates’ self inserts). I know my dragon was either the darkness elemental dragon or the lightning, but I can’t remember which. I think it was darkness because my dragon was always colored purple and black when I drew it. I honestly remember the pictures I drew for the story more than the story itself since people kept commenting my dragons look liked horses. :(

LMMFAO! I wrote a dragon story when I was a kid too and it sucked.. I however don't have the artistic skill to draw my chars x.x that would have probably made the story even more laughable if I tried >.<

Mdnight Rising

Minstrel
The very first story i wrote was about a lone swordsman named Ralan back in fourth grade..... it was for an english assignment. I beleive i even got a "B" on it hehe

Mdnight Rising

Minstrel
no i think it was burned int he back yard with the first set of D&D books....most of my stories and poems were burned that day >.<

Mythos

Troubadour
The first story I wrote was a story about a tribe of dog people who fought against a giant cat named Avery and a floating head named Dismay. Avery was actually Loki in cat form. That was in third grade. Then in fifth grade I tried writing a story with a friend about a world we created when we tried to make up our own zodiac. We called it Gatekeepers.

The first story I wrote was a story about a tribe of dog people who fought against a giant cat named Avery and a floating head named Dismay. Avery was actually Loki in cat form. That was in third grade. Then in fifth grade I tried writing a story with a friend about a world we created when we tried to make up our own zodiac. We called it Gatekeepers.

Both sound very interesting o_O I know I'd have read them >^.^< especially the latter with the zodiac.. I love zodiac stuff AND in fantasy setting?! I think I'd be in heaven LOL

Ophiucha

Auror
I used to roleplay on Neopets, to Teen Titans. I would have been eleven or twelve. I made a character named Malestra Goflider, who was a bit of a Raven (one of the TT characters) ripoff, save for the fact that she had a pet owl and was black. I wrote a novella about her coming back from the dead in a museum (she was Egyptian), which itself was very heavily based on those Mummy movies with Brendan Fraser. Down to her having snake legs like the Scorpion King. Except it viewed her in a positive light and followed her around instead of any plucky heroes. In fact, I don't think there were heroes. Or a conflict. I later rehashed her into my first proper story, The Orphans of the Separate Heart, which had ten orphans with magical powers who get adopted by rich families who want to use their powers and they have to fight a gem called the 'separate heart'. It was cliché and badly written, but it resembled a novel.

The earliest piece I still have, though, and the earliest piece I ever actually finished. It's not terrible, but it is far from good, and the writing is rather poor. I would have written this when I was... fifteen, maybe going into sixteen. I kind of like the idea, but it was just dreadfully executed. I'll include an excerpt from the end of it:

“Consider this then my first lesson to you, should you be victorious. Never trust your bodyguards and your men; there is nothing wrong with heading out to the training grounds for a morning spar, if nothing else. It helps when your wife is a formidable opponent,” the king said, quickly covering his gut with his arms to soften the blow of another kick. Both men looked over at Damocles briefly, each for different reasons, before quickly resuming their fight.

Neoptolemus winced as he felt the effects of blood loss, but staying true to his word and not healing the wounds until after he defeated the King. “Your next lesson is to go with your gut,” Thanatos emphasized the word with a strong kick, “instinct, I find that the seers and the elders are meddlesome old fools, only to be consulted if there is information out of your reach or you truly have no idea what to do on the matter. Even then, I was more inclined to ask Ilithya than to ask them, but perhaps Nyx and Nike will be different.”

Both men standing up and facing each other, their breaths coming in short pants as they tried to regain their momentum to fight. The king smirked, slipping his hand under his belt and raising a dagger out of its hidden sheath, taking a running stab at the peasant in a last ditch effort for victory. However, before his knife even pierced the younger man’s skin, he had dropped it to grab his own stomach with wide eyes, blood seeping between the fingers in mere seconds.

Neoptolemus looked down at his own hand, holding a bloodied dagger that he had almost forgotten he had on him, and turned towards the dying king. He had broken the rules of the fight, he had not removed all of his weaponry… but neither of them did. Thanatos looked down at his wound and smiled before turning his gaze up to the future king.

“The third lesson I can teach you, from my own experiences as King, is that you should never trust anybody. I have witnessed you over these past weeks, Neoptolemus, and you could never find it in yourself to kill a friend even though they were doomed to betray you. You never thought it would serve you to break the rules; you played everything the fair way in hopes that it would turn out all right. If you were not worth being the King of Ophicles, you would be dead right now Neoptolemus.”

The nearly deceased ruler looked at the man with his previous devious smirk, knowing that his nephew had secured the future of his lands. With a final bow to the seer and the swordsman, he pulled his hand away from the bleeding wound and took a few steps towards his throne, collapsing at its feet with his dying breath. Neoptolemus stared at him; surprised for a moment that victory had been his, before sighing in relief and turning to his lover.

Damocles smirked as he looked at the body of Thanatos, lying bloodied on the ground beside the throne, before returning his look to his lover as he picked up the serpentine crown and cleaning it off on his dirtied robes. Lifting the coronet to the man’s head and basked in the glory of their victory, the bloodied dagger in the man’s hand now dropped to the floor in favor of fixing the circlet. Dropping to his knees with a triumphant look in his eyes, the seer offered but one simple sentence: “I am eternally loyal to you, Neoptolemus, my Lord.”

Telcontar

Staff
I was 6 or 7, and using a typewriter that I had found in the basement. It was a story about... a martial-artist crime fighter, I think.

Ophiucha I think that story is good O.O I swear I need to find a copy of Brown Mist so you all can see what how bad a first stroy can really be LMMFAO!

That sounds interesting Telcontar.. Then again I love reading and I will read anything offered to me e.e It's good not having a preference when it comes to reading let me tell you LOL