• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

When is it too much?

humra

I'm currently working on my first book, and I just got to that point when there is so much possibilities of storyline, characters, creatures, animals and other things so I began to wonder when is it enough, when is it too much and when it needs more?
I don't want to get my book too crowded with different characters and creatures and too many stories which could divert the reared from the main plot.
But I also want to use as many of my ideas to make the story different and original from others.
So how do I know when to stop adding things?

FireBird

Troubadour
Right now you're acting like you're only going to write this story once and then finish. It sounds like this is your first draft so I would say write everything. Write about all the different characters and ideas and see where it leads you. Remember that you can always edit anything out or in later. There is a very good chance you will edit down up to half of your wordcount once you compare your first draft with a finished product. The best way to see if you need what you have in mind is to write it into your story and see if it works out. If it doesn't, set it on fire.

BWFoster78

Myth Weaver
Pick your favorite thread among your ideas and write it until it plays out. Add in subplots only if they relate specifically to your main plot.

JonSnow

Troubadour
Having too many ideas is a GOOD problem to have. You could always write more than one book... turn your one book into a series of 2 or 3 if you need more space to get everything in. ALSO, make sure all your ideas actually relate to the plot, and will serve to forward it. These will reveal themselves as you edit, so don't worry too much about "too much" for your initial drafts. If certain ideas don't pan out, save them for another book/series where you can better use them.

I don't want to get my book too crowded with different characters and creatures and too many stories which could divert the reared from the main plot.

I always try to condense my plot down into fifty words or less, or summarise it on one Post-It note. Plotting is all about precision and tightness. Yes, there will be sub-plots, but everything must be relevant to your original plot. Try summarising what is really, really important to your novel and then figure out what sub-plots you can make from your ideas that add value to the main story arc. As previous posters have said, anything that you can't squeeze in you can use in another novel.

But I also want to use as many of my ideas to make the story different and original from others.

I think what might be worth considering is whether it is just elements of plot that make a book original. Don't forget about your characters and narrative voice. They're often the most striking parts of a novel.

Penpilot

Staff
Article Team
Pick your favorite thread among your ideas and write it until it plays out. Add in subplots only if they relate specifically to your main plot.

I agree with this. It comes down to keeping things simple. It's your first book. Don't make it over complicated otherwise you may dig yourself into a hole you may not have the experience to get out of yet. Also don't worry about being original. Let that take care of itself. Just write.

shangrila

Inkling
Right now you're acting like you're only going to write this story once and then finish. It sounds like this is your first draft so I would say write everything. Write about all the different characters and ideas and see where it leads you. Remember that you can always edit anything out or in later. There is a very good chance you will edit down up to half of your wordcount once you compare your first draft with a finished product. The best way to see if you need what you have in mind is to write it into your story and see if it works out. If it doesn't, set it on fire.
Bingo.

Nobody writes a good first draft. They suck. They're cluttered, scattered, broken and imperfect, but that's the point. So finish your first draft and then look over it. What sticks out? What themes are the strongest? Which relate the most with your main plot? Then go from there.

Published authors will write several drafts before they publish their book. Just remember that if you get discouraged.

Helen

Inkling
I'm currently working on my first book, and I just got to that point when there is so much possibilities of storyline, characters, creatures, animals and other things so I began to wonder when is it enough, when is it too much and when it needs more?
So how do I know when to stop adding things?

Outline the main plot completely.

Break the outline into chapters

Write out each chapter.

See how many pages each chapter takes, which will tell you how much to cut or add.

Ghost

Inkling
Do you have an ending in mind? Knowing the end tells me what is relevant or not.

Stop adding things when your gut tells you it doesn't fit. Write those ideas in a notebook or save them in a file on your computer. Scribble just enough to be comprehensible and move on. You can cut sections or add ones to another draft.

When I'm unsure about something, I hold off on adding it (unless leaving it out screws with continuity). That way, I can flesh things out and connect divergent threads later. In the meantime, I get the bones of the story in place. Don't about being original. Worry about telling your story your way. Nobody else can do that.

First drafts aren't written in stone, so don't stress too much, humra. :)

Having a lot of creativity is fine, but one needs focus and a strong sense of direction. I think this is a skill one has to develop with practice.

It helps to know what your themes are and to keep them in mind - figure out what your story is really about in essence. Also, try to identify the style of your story and restrict yourself only to ideas that suit that style. Learn to realize that just because you really like an idea, that doesn't mean it fits into your current story. Kill your darlings, as William Faulkner put it: Learn to let go of good ideas that just don't work.