• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Where do you prefer to write?

Estralyia

Dreamer
I don't have a laptop either! I work full-time as a translator/proofreader at home (heavenly!) and I need the stability of my "office" (a converted third bedroom at the back of the house, where I can look out down the valley and the mountains in the distance) to work. I have to get up at 7 am each day to take my black Labrador Chloé for a one hour walk and I go through several fields and up to the woods. Anything can be seen on the way, cattle/sheep going to the fields either on their own or with the sheep dogs, the odd wild boar, rabbit, people jogging, etc. and this is where I get my inspiration to write. I have another walk with Chloé at about 6 pm to a different wood. Then I make notes when I get home, and try and type this all in between jobs. I'm a juggler!

Last edited:

Lawfire

Sage
I prefer to write in a crowded coffee shop, where the plebes can bask in my presence. I find the constant, "are you a writer?" inquiries to be charming. My smug replies are good for my confidence, and lead to a better finished product.

No...I prefer to write a home, usually late at night when it is quiet.

Wynnara

Minstrel
If I'm writing at home it's usually sitting in the living room at the coffee table.

I try to set aside one large writing block each week and for this I head to the library downtown... because really, who wouldn't want to write in a space that looks like this. :)

vancouver%20library.jpg

Estralyia

Dreamer
That is your library downtown! How wonderful. Surely with this inspiration, you must have already written a best seller? I must tell my brother Ken; he lives just outside of Vancouver and he adores libraries. Lucky you!

Svrtnsse

Staff
Article Team
AI pack my laptop and leave the home. The home has too many distractions (games) so I go elsewhere to get things done. Preferably a place where I can get a something to eat or drink while writing.
There's a great pub/restaurant I like to go to if I'm up early. Before the lunch rush at twelve it's a very relaxed place and when the lunch rush starts, well, it's about time I had something to eat anyway. There are also several nice pubs that tend to be quiet during the day. I can usually get a corner for myself somewhere. There will be enough people around that the place is alive, but not enough that it's disturbing. Plus, I can have a pint while I make stuff up.
Finally, if it's raining and I'm feeling creative there's the pub downstairs. It's got access to a big empty courtyard out the back and even though there's a roofed section it doesn't see much use when the weather's bad. It's great to be able to sit and write nicely comfortable while the rain is hammering the ground just a few feet away.

SunshineEve

My own bed! For me the most important thing is quiet. I can listen to music in headphones but I cannot stand anybody messing around. So, if it's past midnight and everyone is asleep, I'll probably be in my bed typing away.

I have tried writing and cafes and other public places but it has never worked for me. In libraries I just feel like I'm the one disturbing everyone else, as I have a tendency to drop things and my chair is somehow always the loudest one :D

I need quiet to write, mostly because I'm easily distracted. I'm about to go on a year long tour in Korea without my family...so I'm hoping to finish my novel while I'm there!

Wynnara

Minstrel
That is your library downtown! How wonderful. Surely with this inspiration, you must have already written a best seller? I must tell my brother Ken; he lives just outside of Vancouver and he adores libraries. Lucky you!

Haha, I wish I had a bestseller under my belt! This is a shot of the interior on the top floor which is my preferred spot to settle in for an afternoon. It's like writing inside a cathedral.

432188_10150685383232317_716803219_n.jpg