• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Where to look when something's "on the nose"...?

Penpilot

Staff
Article Team
After reading through this thread, I'm thinking it's less about bluntness but more about subtly. Though, they can be antonyms of each other. The word subtle is more of how I think of things.

To use an analogy, I'd think of it as flavoring in food, where subtly is less in your face with the flavor.

There are times where you want a flavor to stand out, and other times where you want it to take a back seat. But too much flavor in the wrong recipe, and everything gets ruined.

For example, say your villain is making their entrance. Now the description has them wearing a black cape.

Villain wearing black, not exactly subtly but it's not too-too much.

Now add they have a handlebar moustache. Even less subtle.
Add they like to twirl that moustache.
Add they have an evil laugh.
Add them kicking a dog.
Have their name be Lord Evilton, married to Lady Villainess, from the town of Demonspawn.

Each element is an indicator that this is your villain, but with each one added, it becomes less and less subtle and more and more on the nose. It's like OK we get it. The flavor is burning the inside of my mouth.

But depending on type of story, this on the nose description could work. The Fraiser excerpts are great examples of how one can play with being on the nose and have it work.