• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Words you want to use someday

Tom

Istar
I live in London; most people I've met would only usually say 'arse' coupled with the word 'hole'.

So it's not very common? Huh. Over here, its American counterpart is the one of the most commonly used expletives. I often hear it upwards of twenty times a day.

Do you think "arse" has the same impact as "ass"?

KC Trae Becker

Troubadour
I have a rough, middle aged female use arse instead of ass to try to clean up her language for the kids and church for an American audience.

Laurence

Inkling
So it's not very common? Huh. Over here, its American counterpart is the one of the most commonly used expletives. I often hear it upwards of twenty times a day.

Do you think "arse" has the same impact as "ass"?

I think where I'm from, 'dick' has the equivalent impact of 'ass'. Can't remember what I would've said under the age of, say, 10!

Tom

Istar
I think where I'm from, 'dick' has the equivalent impact of 'ass'. Can't remember what I would've said under the age of, say, 10!

Interesting. Over here, "dick" seems to have a greater impact than "ass". It's used more often as a direct, personal insult, and definitely has a more confrontational feel, whereas "ass" is used to refer to stuff that is just bad or a pain in general.

If I call someone an ass, I might be joking or mildly irritated, but usually I'd say dick or a-hole is reserved for when I'm truly angry.

(How'd we get talking about expletives, anyway?)

Last edited:

Trick

Auror
I'm sure everyone noticed that the comparison between 'dick' and 'ass' was just brought up... Front or back, which is worse? Sometimes, I think that English expletives are the least creative on the planet.

Velka

Sage
I'm sure everyone noticed that the comparison between 'dick' and 'ass' was just brought up... Front or back, which is worse? Sometimes, I think that English expletives are the least creative on the planet.

Shall we bring in the middle-ground then? Bollocks. Discuss.

Svrtnsse

Staff
Article Team
Finally I have a contribution to this thread.
A friend of mine just used the word "crotchfruit" to refer to other people's kids. I'd like to fit that into a story at some point.

Last edited:

Tom

Istar
I just saw the word "riven". I don't think I've used that one yet. I like the sound of it.

Laurence

Inkling
^Never heard of that one; I guess I never questioned the fact that goosebumps obviously isn't a technical term.

Incipient/Incipience are words I'm surprised aren't used more often.