Writers Beware - Writing Industry Watchdog Group

Discussion in 'Publishing' started by Calash, May 6, 2011.

1. Calash

Calash Journeyman

When beginning the journey to getting published one must be aware of potential hazards in the road. There are publishers out there who are looking to rip you off and use your talent for profit without due compensation. Such is the dangers brought about by the Internet, though honestly they are not just limited to Internet based publishing.

I found the following website several years back and have been actively sharing it ever since then.

WRITER BEWARE ®

Writers Beware is a watchdog group sponsored by the SFWA. Some info from their site:

If you are thinking of being published I highly recommended reading the material over there. The more you know the safer you will be.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 11, 2017
    Black Dragon likes this.
  2. GameMasterNick

GameMasterNick Journeyman

Victoria Strauss is a great person and she keeps this site updated regularly with incredibly helpful information.

You might also want to check Preditors & Editors when you reach the agenting / publishing part of your writing journey.

And one of my favorite Writer Beware entries: ALERTS FOR WRITERS
    The Great PublishAmerica Hoax (PublishAmerica remains one of the biggest offenders for the pay to publish vanity/subsidy/scam markets).

3. Black Dragon

Black Dragon Staff Administrator

Thanks for posting this tip, Calash. This is valuable information.

4. Telcontar

Telcontar Staff Moderator

Yep, I've been linking this in every thread that even brushes close to warnings and advice for writers. Writer's Beware is an incredible resource.