• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Writing and Discipline

It could be helpful to get your work out there, even if it’s unfinished, see what happens. Like exposure therapy - doesn’t matter if you fail then, and you might learn something in the process.

Foxkeyes

Minstrel
I like to write, but I struggle with discipline and issues such as self doubt and perfectionism.

While I don't write everyday, I still strive to write fairly often. Usually, it'll be two or three days a week at the bare minimum. Even when I do write, my productivity varies. Some days I feel really inspired and write almost an entire page. Other times, all I can get down are a couple of sentences. It's rare that I'll write anything longer than a page per session. The one exception for me seem to be scripts, as they are formatted differently from standard prose. It's a little disheartening as I hear about writers, both professional and still unpublished mentioning that they write 2k words a day.

Another thing is time management. I have to juggle writing with other activities that distract me from it, such as TV or videogames.

As for writing itself, I often find I hate what I write. I know rough drafts are supposed to be shite and revised later, but I still allow my perfectionism to get in the way. I think to myself "Most other writers' rough drafts are terrible, but mine are even worse."

Is anyone else here struggling with this? How did you develop better writing disicipline.
I guess most people, at some point, consider their work shite. I did. But after a while I kind of trained myself not to think that 'it's as good as I can get it right now'. And I experimented to see what kind of writing made me happiest. This enabled me to shift from writing traditional fantasy/Sci Fi, to children's fantasy adventure.) It takes a while to find your voice. Once you find that voice, the writing goes smoother.

It helps to remember that a lot of writing isn't writing at all, but thinking, and planning, and taking notes. You can be 'writing in your head' when you're doing many other activities. This can be difficult to begin with, but it's amazing how quickly the habit can form. I've found that a voice recorder is a great thing to carry about.

TBH, any Tom, Dick or Harry, can write 2/3/4 K a day. Just keep tapping the key board. But is it any good? Probably not before a whole series of edits.

I had a huge thing about word counts until I realised that many of the great books out there took years to write. Again, it's all about finding your voice and style. For me, anyway.

Currently, I produce 1k words a day. I don't have the mental energy to do any more.

You obviously enjoy writing. But does your perfectionism appear when you are performing tasks you don't enjoy?

Septimus

Acolyte
I had to embrace the idea that a rough draft is by definition rough and put aside that I was going to produce a perfect draft from the very start. Once I learned that idea, my writing got easier, because I didn't worry about every little oops.

Word counts are something you have to become comfortable with and not be something written in stone. I have done 3k a day and I've done 1k a day, neither is a barometer of how successful I am. Is the story good and the prose well shaped, those things are much more important.

Karlin

Troubadour
When I start a new project, I'm always uncertain. Is it any good? Should I bother continuing? Usually I run the first chapter or two past friends or family, and I get some encouragement.

When I started my current project, I sent the first couple of chapters to some family members, and got back "what happens next?", so I knew I was on a good track.

Mind you, I would not use friends or family at a later stage. They are too enthusiastic.

My first draft is readable, but sloppy. I charge ahead anyhow, slowly. Sloppy is fixable. When I'm done, I take a short break, print up the draft, and go over it. And then- I pay someone to edit it. It took me a while to realize this, but if I take my writing seriously, I can spend some money and get help. I'm referring to "developmental editing", not proofreading. Things like pacing, confusing sections, inconsistencies, plot holes, character issues. I'm getting better at this myself, but it's easier for an 'outsider' to do this.

Finding time and actually writing is very personal. I get distracted easily, but somehow manage to plug away, better some days than others.

pmmg

Myth Weaver
When I start a new project, I'm always uncertain. Is it any good? Should I bother continuing? Usually I run the first chapter or two past friends or family, and I get some encouragement.

When I started my current project, I sent the first couple of chapters to some family members, and got back "what happens next?", so I knew I was on a good track.

Mind you, I would not use friends or family at a later stage. They are too enthusiastic.

My first draft is readable, but sloppy. I charge ahead anyhow, slowly. Sloppy is fixable. When I'm done, I take a short break, print up the draft, and go over it. And then- I pay someone to edit it. It took me a while to realize this, but if I take my writing seriously, I can spend some money and get help. I'm referring to "developmental editing", not proofreading. Things like pacing, confusing sections, inconsistencies, plot holes, character issues. I'm getting better at this myself, but it's easier for an 'outsider' to do this.

Finding time and actually writing is very personal. I get distracted easily, but somehow manage to plug away, better some days than others.
The only thing about an editor is they are costly. If I sent to an editor in its earliest form, after I go and fix the stuff the find, I may be in the position of having to have it edited again. I do think there is value in coarse adjusting and fine tuning before the Editor is brought in.