• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Writing out of time

Has anyone, or does anyone have any experience of writing a story that is set in an ambiguous time period?

To try and explain it better, have any of you written a story where the reader experiences an out of time context, so maybe the story is actually set in contemporary times, but you want it to feel out of place, or older, so you omit writing about technology as an example. Maybe you just don’t write in the use of mobile phones, or Wi-Fi, or even electricity. Maybe analogue technology is written about.

I’m trying to create an isolated atmosphere so the reader feels closer to the characters in the book, seeing as it’s mostly just two people that the story revolves around.

Maybe this would be clearer to see in contemporary / crime and speculative fiction.

pmmg

Myth Weaver
I think Primal has this feel (animated by Genndy Tartekovski). Starts off all caveman and dinosaurs, and by the end, I don't know what time they were in. They just kept adding stuff that would be long past his lifetime.

Elric has some of this with the eternal champion stuff. He enters a limbo world with warriors from many times and places, its not clear which reality is real.

Also....doesn't steampunk kind of do this as well? And think some dystopias have this feel.

To me, it sounds like producing something close to white screen (or is it white room?), where not much is described at all...usually that is a problem, but if its done with purpose, I could be engaging. It would have to have strong characters and a good point to it, though, IMO.

Nothing as extreme as dystopian, steampunk or white screen. (I imagine white screen is incredibly difficult to write).

To try and be more specific, it’s a novella that would probably fit into the contemporary fiction genre. I want it to feel like it could be set in the modern day, but it could also be set in the 90’s, 80’s or 70’s and the reader would not be able to know for sure. I want it be out of time to evoke a kind of isolated feel.

I wanted to ask the general question to see if anyone has done this in any of their writing. A story set in a recognised world to our own, but no time period specified, purposely ambiguous to create a certain feel.

pmmg

Myth Weaver
Well...in direct answer, I have not done this.

If I wanted to create an ambiguous feel, I might mention stuff that could date it, but not really. Such as talking about challenger explosion, and later showing it had not happened yet, and challenger meant something else. Or when the planes hit the towers, but maybe its a different set of towers or different planes.

You might also add things that are just out of time. Such as men wearing pocket watches or women wearing bonnets, yet, dude has a 57 chevy.

In those specific date ranges, suppose people were dressed all grunge, but listening to Led Zepplin, and the Doors.

Demesnedenoir

Myth Weaver
I have not done this, but I swear I've seen something like it in a tv series or two... Maybe Gotham? Yes, Gotham, You'll have some pretty modern tech, then the cars are old fashioned, lots of oddities that mess with the sense of time period. Looked it up now, the showrunner, Bruno Heller (who also created The Mentalist) called Gotham a mashup and therefore kind of timeless. For me, it added a special element to the show.

Yes, it’s almost like capturing nostalgia…or not quite nostalgia. I can’t put my finger on it. It’s like curating your story so to evoke something. Maybe the film Drive is a good example too. Set in the modern day but feels off-kilter, almost retro, nostalgic.

skip.knox

toujours gai, archie
Yes on Gotham. A bunch of Wes Anderson's work. Or how Ray Bradbury creates a kind of ambiguity in Martian Chronicles.

More broadly, the further from urban centers you get, the easier it is to fiddle the chronological setting. Or, restrict the setting. In an apartment, for example.

But before any of that, you need to ask yourself what purpose the ambiguity serves. Is this about two people from different time periods who meet in an ambiguous place so that we're never sure quite when and where we are? A sort of Waiting for Godot setting?

Or is the intent to reveal the true setting and surprise the reader? Or any of a dozen other narrative possibilities?

How you answer that is going to determine what sort of ambiguity you wish to create, at what points you want to be specific, and so on. Maybe it's seeing a sign through a window. Maybe it's seeing a particular kind of automobile. Or horse. Or color of sky.

But before any of that, you need to ask yourself what purpose the ambiguity serves. Is this about two people from different time periods who meet in an ambiguous place so that we're never sure quite when and where we are?

Good point. It’s about two people who are sort of running away - so I need it to feel, intimate I suppose. Escapist. Esoteric even. It’s not fantasy so they are in the same time period. Escapist is probably a better word for it.

I wanted to know if anyone used any specific tricks and techniques in their own writing to get this sort of feel across to the reader.

Wes Anderson is a solid example, but too bad I hate his films 😆 all fur and no knickers.

But before any of that, you need to ask yourself what purpose the ambiguity serves. Is this about two people from different time periods who meet in an ambiguous place so that we're never sure quite when and where we are?

Good point. It’s about two people who are sort of running away - so I need it to feel, intimate I suppose. Escapist. Esoteric even. It’s not fantasy so they are in the same time period. Escapist is probably a better word for it.

I wanted to know if anyone used any specific tricks and techniques in their own writing to get this sort of feel across to the reader.

Wes Anderson is a solid example, but too bad I hate his films 😆 all fur and no knickers.
What on Earth does this this mean?

He makes films about naked animals?

I think most fantasy writers who write in Generic Medieval England settings do this. The european middle ages span a thousand years and a whole continent. Northern England in 490 will be very different from southern italy in 1490. However, most writers just gloss over that and treat it all as "there are knights and castles and swords and horses. Most of this writing you couldn't pin a date on.

However, I do think that in this case it's also less important than with a modern setting. The simple reason is that many of your readers will have experienced those events. And thus will know when you mess up. Of course, if you go for a fantasy world, then you get a bit more leeway, since you can always claim they invented smartphones at the same time as cassette tapes. However, if you want to stick close to our world, it is going to raise some questions.

Of course, if you go back a bit more then it matters less. There are only few people still around who experienced the period between the world wars. So if you mess up some specifics you might get called out on it, but most readers won't know or care.

Hmmm, it’s not so much about historical accuracy or inaccuracy - although I agree on the quasi-medieval thing.

It’s more about creating an environment that makes sense, even though you can’t place the exact time period. I mean if they are listening to vinyl, and there’s no mention of CD’s, that doesn’t necessarily mean that that technology doesn’t exist. It just means that information has been omitted. Or maybe there’s no mention of central heating, but they might light a fire in a hearth instead to heat the house. They drive an old car, but maybe it’s just a vintage car.

It’s probably about omitting information that would pinpoint a time period rather than including that sort of thing.

It's also crucial to remember the difference between fantasy and history. If it's not history then who gives a rat's if you've got anachronisms all through your work? It's your world and that's all that matters. Do what you like.

What absolutely does my head in is when people complain about non-realistic or anachronistic details IN A FANTASY SETTING.

It's not true people. It never happened people.

Learn to tell the difference FFS...

Rant over.

I’m sure if you’re a historian and you read a fiction novel with glaring inaccuracies, that would mean not finishing the book, in the very least. Even for me as a history ‘fan’ if you like, I can spot some of the glaring inaccuracies and that might mean I am not invested in the story anymore.

Fantasy is different. In fantasy, it’s about worldbuilding, so you have a set of rules that the reader can understand. Keep breaking those rules or be inconsistent and that becomes annoying.

I’m sure if you’re a historian and you read a fiction novel with glaring inaccuracies, that would mean not finishing the book, in the very least. Even for me as a history ‘fan’ if you like, I can spot some of the glaring inaccuracies and that might mean I am not invested in the story anymore.

Fantasy is different. In fantasy, it’s about worldbuilding, so you have a set of rules that the reader can understand. Keep breaking those rules or be inconsistent and that becomes annoying.
Couldn't agree more.

I'm talking about the readers who expect historical accuracy in a completely made up fantasy setting.

But what irritates me most is the readers who seem to think that fantasy and history are more or less just made up stories. One is, one is not... although that's a whole other conversation re the victors write the histories etc.

pmmg

Myth Weaver
I will let that be Dark One's peeve. I think even fantasy needs to have some historical consistency to it to make sense. There are somethings the could not just be skipped in the evolutionary process, regardless of the world. If it is skipped, it needs explanation.

All fur and no nickers is one of the best phrases I have heard in a while ;)

It’s more about creating an environment that makes sense, even though you can’t place the exact time period. I mean if they are listening to vinyl, and there’s no mention of CD’s, that doesn’t necessarily mean that that technology doesn’t exist. It just means that information has been omitted. Or maybe there’s no mention of central heating, but they might light a fire in a hearth instead to heat the house. They drive an old car, but maybe it’s just a vintage car.

I bet Cuba is a good example of this. And the Hawaiian island I was on, was a bit as well. A lot of stuff that faded from the mainland many years back, but still in service there.

I think the way I would approach this is much the way you mentioned. Have stuff that seemed out of phase with the time, but not have anyone be curious about it, like it was just normal for them. It would have to be widespread, I think, and some characters would have to have more modern stuff to contrast why no one seems to notice.

I imagine stuff like modern cars, but all the chain restaurants are still from the 50's, and news items on the radio that are about older conerns...like the 3 mile island accident, or the Cuban missile crises, and yet...Mr. Obama is president. And music comes up in my head a lot, who the bands are, what they listen too, and the media they are on. Talking about getting the 8 track of Selena Gomez would seem out of phase. (and just now, looking at current artists, I realize, I don't know any of them :arghh:). Have people talking about investing in plastic, cause its the next big thing, but holding a smart phone would seem strange.

Cuba probably would be a really good real world example. Maybe also North Korea, but in a sinister way. Have you ever seen those photos that are of North Korea, but look like they are from a Wes Anderson film? Creepy.

I kind of thought it was a global phrase…

pmmg

Myth Weaver
Cuba probably would be a really good real world example. Maybe also North Korea, but in a sinister way. Have you ever seen those photos that are of North Korea, but look like they are from a Wes Anderson film? Creepy.

All my knowledge from there is very limited...as to be expected.

It looks dreary and desolate to me, but then...I have also seen stuff that shows people living there, and enjoying stuff. I dont think I will ever have a full picture.