• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Writing something awesome

Svrtnsse

Staff
Article Team
My story is fairly mundane. It's a low-key, laid back recollection of Enar's vacation, which for the most part isn't all that exciting.
However, I'm working my way towards a scene filled with some truly spectacular displays of magic which I'm really excited about. It's going to be putting to use some of the more involved ideas of my setting and I'm very much looking forward to writing it.
But, I have to admit, I'm a little bit nervous too. What if I botch it? What if I'm not up to the task of making this as awesome as it should be? I'm really passionate about this thing happening and I'm really anxious to see how it plays out. I'm just a bit worried it won't be as good as I'm thinking it ought to.

Is this happening to you guys as well and how do you deal with it?

T.Allen.Smith

Staff
Guess what? It won't be as good as you want it to be, at least on the first go around. Write it, revise a few times, then it'll be close. Want it even better? Work it some more.

Some of the world's best authors worked their big scenes over fifty times. Work yours until its what you want it to be. That's one of the great things about writing. Your reader only sees the words they think are genius, not the mundane writing that comes before the polished effort.

Last edited:

Svrtnsse

Staff
Article Team
You're right of course. Thanks. I guess I just needed that pointed out to me in plain text. ;)

Make sure the set up is as good as you can make it before going into the pay-off scene. If you have all the right story threads coming to a climax point in the fun-to-write scene, it'll just write itself.

Determine exactly what you want to impress with, and determine how to emphasize that. You say a "display of magic," but you're working in a non-visual medium, so your readers won't see the display itself. What, therefore, will be impressive about this display? (For instance, if the magic-user is using his or her powers in a very advanced way, your earlier scenes need to impress upon the reader the limits and weaknesses of simple magic, while dropping hints that there are far more intricate or powerful things that can be done magically.)

I should also note that you don't necessarily need to do the prep work before doing the scene. It's usually easier that way, but if you've already written the earlier scenes, it's perfectly fine to write the "awesome" scene, then go back and add in the earlier touches to make it awesome.

Svrtnsse

Staff
Article Team
This is a really god point Feo and something I've failed to do completely so far, even though it's a principle in line with the way I'm thinking. I'll have to have think about it and see where I can sneak little things like that in.

the best thing to do would be to start writing the scene over and over. only practice will truly improve the scene. have you made an outline yet. check out tvtropes.com for ideas

C

Chessie

^^I agree. One thing I like to do though, is marinate on the scene or parts of it listening to music and just FEEL it. Then I write about it. Visuals help too. :)

DameiThiessen

Minstrel
Make a character lovable but powerless. Then, during the climax, give them the power the audience wants them to have.

Your readers will be emotionally attached to the character and seeing them succeed will make them feel victorious too.

Svrtnsse

Staff
Article Team
Just an update on this.
The scene didn't turn out quite the way I expected it - as you all probably expected. The part I was excited about is getting overshadowed by the parts just before and just after. I had great fun writing it though and will leave it as it is for now and then go over it once the first draft is done.

I'll probably post at least parts of the scene in the showcase once the final part is done.

Motley

Minstrel
From my (vast) experience writing things, they hardly ever turn out how you expect.

You did it though, and that definitely counts. :)