• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

About our MMO project, name change.

morfiction

Troubadour
Thx. But the head of the startup, whom I won't identify here, insists he has done nothing wrong. *sighs* I be sued it seems.

Ravana

Istar
He may not have "done anything wrong" yet… but if he goes to publication with that name, he will have.

It would be simple enough to change the name to "Ryuu-something-or-other Online"; you may well be in the clear with that (as long as the "something-or-other" isn't a name used by some other publication). In fact, the first thing I'd suggest is dropping the second "u": the word "ryu" is simply the Japanese word for "dragon." The two-"u" version is already evoking specific publications, who might conceivably be offended if you try using anything obviously drawing upon them without licensing it first. I haven't looked (since it isn't my project…), but I'd suspect something like "Ryu: Legacy of the Ancients," or endless other variants, probably aren't in use.

Checking with a lawyer is a good idea. Checking with one who specializes in copyrights is even better. My advice should be taken as purely anecdotal: I'm not licensed in my state to dispense legal advice. (Incredibly enough, I've been told I actually have to say that… by the lawyers I used to work with. I soaked up so much, and picked up so much more from my own studies, that I can be mistaken for a lawyer sometimes–have been, in fact. Which is a really stupid catch-22: is telling someone they ought to talk to a lawyer, or that I'm not legally qualified to give legal advice, "giving legal advice"? :p )

Last edited by a moderator:

morfiction

Troubadour
Anyway, my ex-boss moved onto the big leagues of gonna-get-sued-iness: an unlicensed Pokemon game! :D

I'm not even bothering contacting Nintendo. I'll just be surprised if something happens.

My latest project is with a Romanian named "Eddie" who wants a realistic roleplaying game set in a "walternate" of our Dark Ages. There's supposed to be an emphasis on realism every where and he is constantly giving feedback where like he wants to have no magical healing. No magic at all. No monsters. An Oblivion game that is probably an MMO but no monsters. You can have skills but no charts or whatever to drag the player out of the role they are playing. To be as realistic as real life is.

Tall orders.

So again I'm looking for help writing. :D Can't guarantee any possible profit-sharing like last time.

Johnny Cosmo

Inkling
So what is the new project called? How many people are involved with this one? I like the sound of a realistic fantasy MMO, and glad to hear you left that rather dodgy sounding project behind.

Codey Amprim

Staff
Article Team
I'm sorry, but after clicking that link all I have to do is LOL and laugh at this fellow's serious need of a creative thought process, and maybe some common sense thrown in the mix as well. On second thought, I think he really needs some common sense. Is this really what new mmo's are doing? Originally I wanted to go into game design, and this makes me sad. Christ, I have half of an MMO concept on Word 2010 in my documents that only took me a day.

This is why we can't have nice things.

And I applaud you for getting out of that situation lmao

morfiction

Troubadour
Hehe. Anyway. I won't get into saying what the game's name is right a way.

I've been giving very little involvment in it lately because of a nagging problem in RL.