• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Main character's name

Queshire

Istar
My main character is currently named Arthur Jones, but recent posts in the show case thread make me think this might not be the best name for him.

I chose Arthur because it's modern as befitting the modern setting, and heroic without being corny. However, it's mentioned that the name could cause readers to think I'm ripping off a certain popular book series, which naturally I don't want.

My second option is naming him Gilgamesh Jones. It's not modern, and it's pretty corny, however I think it could work. In the story his father is an expert on mythology and monsters, while his mother had some job that involved learning martial arts and how to use a fire arm, I'm still working on the specifics, both of whom currently secretly work for the story's secret government organization that hunts monsters. I figure that they'd be the type of people to name him something like that. Futhermore, it opens up the "A" name for his sister.

What do you guys think?

JCFarnham

Auror
Well, It could go either way. Some people may very well think you're ripping people off (because some just love to be grumpy and pick holes in EVERYthing), but on the other hand using the name opens you up to referencing mythology, english royalty, well loved characters. That can't be a bad thing in my book.

I kind of regret mentioning it in you're showcase thread now haha, it was just a passing comment. As with any piece of feedback you'll ever recieve from me different strokes of different folks. Feel free to ignore :)

MAndreas

Troubadour
I think Gilgamesh could be a good name actually. It gives a lot of character, can be easily cut down to Gil ( 'NO one calls me Gilgamesh') and leads to some interesting background.

Having not read your showcase, I'm not sure exactly why folks are against Arthur Jones, but I personally thinkg Gil would be more interesting than Arthur ;).

Steerpike

Felis amatus
I'm reading a book called "The Bookman," by Lavie Tidhar, and there is a character in it named Gilgamesh. So there's no reason it can't be done :)

The Din

Troubadour
Gil reminds me of the hopeless fellow on the simpsons, which isn't necessarily a bad thing. I agree Arthur is a bit overdone, you shouldn't need use a name simply for the connotations it instows. I prefer knowing nothing about a character before getting to know him.

JCFarnham

Auror
Quirky names can be argued for, and work well, but theres a significant portion of people our their who think quirky names are ridiculous...

All I can say is some girls are called Kenya or Africa. 'Nuff said ;)

Gilgamesh/Gil - I like it. Arthur sits better with my because it's more invisible, but that's not a problem.

Drakhov

Minstrel
I personally didn't mind Arthur as the name, but I think Gil works great. Just don't call him Gilgamesh the whole time.

I like Arthur as a name for a hero (my grandfather's name was Arthur) - you could go with Art or Arty / Artie if you want a more 'modern' variation

Gilgamesh sounds a bit over the top. Also, it makes me think of Gilgamesh Wulfenbach from Girl Genius. (Who's name is supposed to be over the top.) I would definitely go with Arthur.

If you absolutely don't want to name him Arthur, go with Roland or Jason or something. There are a lot of mythic hero names that are still being used.

And, for the record, I have no idea which certain popular book series you are refering to.

Queshire

Istar
For those of you unaware, Gilgamesh comes from the Epic of Gilgamesh, the first real heroic story.

Queshire

Istar
Hm......... I really can't decide.... I'm starting to like both names equally.... I mean, his father's the type of person to name him something ridiculous like Gilgamesh while his mother's the type of person to name him Boy as he's a boy...

Maybe take a third option? Gilgamesh Arthur Jones?