• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Naming Characters

I know we're naming characters, not babies...but I just found this site aland it has some pretty awesome stuff for finding names. (Seriously. It's REALLY COOL.) You can search by origin, number of syllables, letters, etc...It also seems to have a pretty big database. A lot of these are otherworldly enough to belong in a fantasy novel.

Baby Names | BabyCenter

I use a baby name book to name my characters often. This might be even more helpful. Since I'm in a huge character-naming session, I'm already liking it.

Ronald T.

Troubadour
By far, the best 'Names" resource I've found is this: "The Writer's Digest Character Naming Sourcebook", by Sherrilyn Kenyon, with Hal Blythe and Charlie Sweet. It was first published in 1994. And it has more than 20,000 first and last names.

I love this book. I can't tell you how unendingly helpful this book has been over the years. Do yourself a favor and check it out.

Russ

Istar
If you are really into the naming thing (I am) you can get books about specific cultural names to allow you to really pick some rocking names. For instance I have books that focus on Italian and German names only.

These too are all cool suggestions!

Often I'll be looking for a specific sound, length and feel to a name, so the site I linked is one of my favorite resources so far. Having the history and meaning of names is super helpful for historical novels, though...

Peat

Sage
Fourthing Behind the Name. Not that I don't go looking for other resources too, but it gets me a lot of the way.

Behind the Name is great for meaningful names. Fantasy Name Generators is also good for random stuff. The Real Names section in particular is an excellent resource for some more obscure cultures.

Personally Ive found random name generators to be unhelpful in many circumstances. Seventh Sanctum has a few generators I occasionally use, but when I'm looking for a name I'm often looking for something more specific than a generator can provide. But I'm reeeeeally picky about names (I put off naming for a long time, and I end up changing my characters names most of the time!)

Fantasy Name Generators has a HUGE selection of generators though, if it's the same site I remember using a couple years ago...I waste time on generators for fun, lol.

I've never really thought about name meanings when naming characters. Perhaps it would be cool to do so...but then I'd be tempted to sneak symbolism into EVERY NAME. Like id name the character who dies after what kills him or something. :p

^Wow, that site has really expanded since last I visited!!

Hillbilly names??? Ha! :p And names for like 30 Star Wars aliens. Wow.

Is there a such thing as too many generators...?

SeverinR

Vala
I always turn to the SCA name list for human "period" names.
Sadly they don't have a list of non-human names...lol

Peat

Sage
Also, I'm a big fan of simply stealing a name from things that influenced me/the character in question. Its a nice easter egg. Think things like Lord Jordayne of the Tor in SoIaF

Miseo

Minstrel
Well I like giving characters meaningful names, and behindthename.com is great for that. For example, my MC is named Sorin which means sun, and the 9 primary antagonists of the first half of the story are all named after lunar deities (except Phrike who is named after the spirit of horror).

Well I like giving characters meaningful names, and behindthename.com is great for that. For example, my MC is named Sorin which means sun, and the 9 primary antagonists of the first half of the story are all named after lunar deities (except Phrike who is named after the spirit of horror).

I hardly ever think about meaning when I name characters. I did give my MC the unfortunately apt (and unapologetically weird) name of Temerity, though.