• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Easy Writes and hard writes

ecdavis

Troubadour
I'm having a rough time with the third book in my trilogy. It isn't exactly an epic tale, but I have a number of well-developed characters that I want to bring to a point of conclusion.

I think I may have messed up by putting the big 'Final Battle' in the middle of the book. I did this because it felt logical and fit the run of the story. Though I had it all scripted out in my mind, I think it somewhat overwhelmed me getting it down. As I said, it isn't exactly 'High Fantasy' but I've found that big battle scenes are really exhausting.

When I finished the 'Final Battle' it was a relief, but it left a number of loose ends that I have to address. What is amazing me is that I'm enjoying writing these 'loose ends' more than I did the 'Final Battle'. That surprises me for some reason.

But though I'm enjoying the 'loose ends' section, I've found that this week I've not really been too productive. The only factor that is different from my most productive times is that I don't have a lot of private time to write.

It seems hard to write when someone is around, and I imagine many writers have this problem. I don't have any children and my wife supports my desire to write, but it seems that every day I get home from my 'real job', we spend three hours 'Taking Care of Business'. It's never anything that can really be removed or shifted around, either and so I find that instead of typing 5,000 words, I often end up under 2,000 on a good day.

Then on the days I think I'm completely focused on productivity, I am so tired from my 'real job' that I fall asleep while typing.

What is crazy is that I've had passages in other volumes of my series that flowed like a river at flood stage, and sometimes the same distractions were in place then. I had one crazy idea for a short story one day at work and I thought it would be about a 30 or 40 page story, so I took a break from my second book and worked on it. I had the whole thing done under a week and it was just under 100 pages. It flowed so smoothly that I am still amazed that I could have it finished and edited in about 6 days time.

So I was wondering what everyone's thoughts are on why some books are 'Easy Writes' and others are "Hard Writes'? In my case, both the easy and hard to write books are parts of the same series and have the same characters. I'm satisfied with the plot, so that isn't it. The characters are who I want them to be as well, so I'm not unhappy with their development at all.

I'm not tired of writing about them, and in fact I find myself rather sad that this will be the last book I plan on writing about them as the main characters. The only reason I can come up with that it seems to be much more difficult this time is because I feel obligated to finish the tale in a manner fitting for them and as they need this great finish, I am more distracted by daily problems and responsibilities that didn't seem to bother me as bad in the earlier volumes.

I hope that doesn't sound too insane.

Also, does anyone have another word for 'shrugged'? I feel like I use that term too much, but I can't think of another word that conveys the same meaning.

Fyri

Inkling
Doesn't sound too insane to me. When I was writing my third book in what I thought would be a trilogy but had its own mind to be a four book series, I was often sitting there by my book wondering why it was taking twice as long as the first two. Perhaps it was me being a busy high school junior and senior, perhaps it was the fact that my inspiring friend had basically left me dry. I dont know if it is so much the books are easy and/or hard writes but its more of the time what we're going through at the time. Small changes in life can affect my writing in strange ways. Perhaps it's the mood you take when you sit down to write that certain work. There is probably psychology behind it all.
Also, when I dont want to use shrug, I say waved it off. Like, Riley waved off Mika's insult, instead of Riley shrugged at Mika's insult.
Using shrug as a gesture to say the character doesn't know the answer to a question asked, I guess they could grimace... There aren't too many options, I suppose. :/

Addison

Auror
I believe the "easy writes" and "hard writes" is a common affliction among writers. Some days go better than others. There always one little detail, the weather, the A.C working, your computer not being a pain, that make the day. A little signal to your brain that says "woo-hoo let's write tonight!".

I have the same thing. Some times I'll write entire chapters flawlessly (spell check not included). Other days I'll be at my computer or staring at a piece of paper and just thinking "come on! Write! The night was....dark! No!" Some times I'll write but the product will, sadly, suck. but hey it's better than a day of no writing.

The best way I've found for a good day of writing is to make the day good. Like the old saying "Every cloud has a silver lining". Sometimes you have to put in the effort to see or even make that lining. Take a hike, take a break, chat with someone, just something extra that starts to click that "Flawless Prose" button in your brain.

As for shrugged, you could do it in a different body action. Like maybe, "John looked at Marcia for a hint but she just lifted her shoulders as if "meh, I dunno"." Don't know if that helped.

Good luck and congratulations on the story. :)

ecdavis

Troubadour
Also, when I dont want to use shrug, I say waved it off. Like, Riley waved off Mika's insult, instead of Riley shrugged at Mika's insult.
Using shrug as a gesture to say the character doesn't know the answer to a question asked, I guess they could grimace... There aren't too many options, I suppose. :/
I like waved off, I tend to envision someone raising their hands, palm out at about shoulder level as if to say "I don't know." but shrugged is how I interpreted it.

ecdavis

Troubadour
As for shrugged, you could do it in a different body action. Like maybe, "John looked at Marcia for a hint but she just lifted her shoulders as if "meh, I dunno"." Don't know if that helped.
Thanks, Addison, I liked the lifting of shoulders -- that just might work.

skip.knox

toujours gai, archie
I have only a small contribution to make, on shrugging.

Rather than asking for other words for that verb, maybe ask yourself if there's simply too much shrugging going on. Maybe a verbal response? Maybe the characters should care more?

ecdavis

Troubadour
Oh... I don't know.

I have only a small contribution to make, on shrugging.

Rather than asking for other words for that verb, maybe ask yourself if there's simply too much shrugging going on. Maybe a verbal response? Maybe the characters should care more?

Jamber

Sage
Endings are hard -- almost as hard as beginnings. You need clear time to do it justice. Maybe set it aside till life calms down? Or there's always the 'grumpy writer in seclusion' option.
We used to have a caravan in the yard for when I had to finish something and didn't want children underfoot. Only used it twice, and it got full of marsupials, but was certainly a good way to focus on finishing.
The thing about endings too is that they're really only the beginning (afterward comes revision and editing). Sometimes I'd rather linger in creative mode and put off the nitty gritty stuff... Not sure if this is happening to you, ecdavis, but when it happens to me I usually need an external kick up the whatsit, e.g. a reminder that there are bills to pay (whether or not writing is paying them).
Just some thoughts, hope they help,
Jennie

ecdavis

Troubadour
I managed to get away with my wife into the country, this weekend. No phones, no Internet, but I brought my laptop and worked for two days straight. Well, writing and rereading "The Dreamstone" by C.J. Cherryh, which I haven't read in nearly 30 years. I think distractions were causing much of my problem. I now have the ending lined out in my mind and I think it will work.

It is somewhat sad seeing my characters' story ending, though they will feature as minor characters in other stories, but 'Their story' is about complete.

I'm in a period of hard writing :(
I'm getting to the end of my G.C.S.Es (14 down, 2 to go!!!) and I just feel tired, no energy to do more than type a few words and read it :( I liked writing in between my revision sessions. nine days ago I wrote in the region of four thousands words, and then for the last eight, nothing :(
Any tips on how to get back into it. I need to seeing as I've got ten weeks off and was planning on writing during most of them!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

A. E. Lowan

Forum Mom
Leadership
I managed to get away with my wife into the country, this weekend. No phones, no Internet, but I brought my laptop and worked for two days straight. Well, writing and rereading "The Dreamstone" by C.J. Cherryh, which I haven't read in nearly 30 years. I think distractions were causing much of my problem. I now have the ending lined out in my mind and I think it will work.

It is somewhat sad seeing my characters' story ending, though they will feature as minor characters in other stories, but 'Their story' is about complete.

Sad, but so wonderful, like sending your kids off to college. At least this way, they won't phone home for money! ;)

Seriously, I've had days when the only words that got on the page were from me pounding my face into the keyboard. I've also had days where I wrote for hours, fingers flying, only to rise and stagger about the room in a nearly post-coital daze. Man, I do love writing!

Just like any artistic profession, it can come and go. All we can do is follow the river and paddle our little hearts out, waiting with breathless anticipation to see what happens next!

A. E. Lowan

Forum Mom
Leadership
I'm in a period of hard writing :(
I'm getting to the end of my G.C.S.Es (14 down, 2 to go!!!) and I just feel tired, no energy to do more than type a few words and read it :( I liked writing in between my revision sessions. nine days ago I wrote in the region of four thousands words, and then for the last eight, nothing :(
Any tips on how to get back into it. I need to seeing as I've got ten weeks off and was planning on writing during most of them!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Honey, it's Tuesday. I give you permission to drawer your project for 48 hours and sleep when your break hits. Your brain needs a breather. On Thursday, then, and only then, take it out and get back to it with the frosty beverage of your choice.

T.Allen.Smith

Staff
....nine days ago I wrote in the region of four thousands words, and then for the last eight, nothing :(
A consistent & disciplined approach to writing will yield greater production than bouts of binge writing. You'd be better off developing a daily plan and sticking to it.

A question for your consideration:
Which do you find more impressive?
A) Writing 5,000 words a day for three straight days
B) Writing 500 words a day for 3 straight months

If you're going to be successful, you'll need to be dedicated & disciplined. Think up an attainable daily goal, then drop it down a couple hundred words. Now set that goal for a reasonably long time period...a month? Maybe two or three months? Or let's say your ten weeks....

Assuming you wrote 500 words a day, without fail or excuse, your production at the end would equal 35,000 words...almost 1/3 of a complete novel. For most people, 500 words per day is fairly easy. Track your progress, recording each day's productivity and the accumulating word count. It will help your discipline when you see the additive result.

In my opinion, waiting for inspiration or the "right time" to write is one of the biggest fallacies in the craft. Writing only when you feel like it is the amateur's approach. It's far more important to write when you don't feel like writing at all. Being a professional means creating good habits. Writing everyday will eventually create a habit strong enough that you'll feel odd if you don't write every day. You need to fashion a strong habit for success. It's work...show up for work every day.

T.Allen- I have been writing consistently (Ish) for the last several months, that is why this has thrown me, because I am not out of ideas, or don't want to write, I do, but cant, If you see what I mean...
Now I'm of to take Lowan's advice and sleep :)

ecdavis

Troubadour
I try not to look at writing in the terms of how many words or pages I've written in a day. Certainly this is a way to see just how much you've done, but sometimes this doesn't reflect the depth of the work. Sometimes 10 pages of a difficult section are equal to 50 pages of a section with a lighter tone.

I look at my work more like acts of a play; I try to get my characters to a certain place, then, when I feel satisfied for that day, I may stop or else go on into the next section. But if I looked at it as a certain number of pages, then it seems more like a college essay than something I feel excited to write. When I have found myself focusing on how many pages I've done, it gets me away from the quality and starts me worrying about quantity.

A. E. Lowan

Forum Mom
Leadership
Talking about easy vs. hard, I'm working on a piece today where I'm actually giving myself a crying headache and I'm having a hard time typing because I keep tearing up. I do this a lot because we write some fairly emo storylines. Anybody else do this? Please tell me it's not just because I'm super girly or anything. :p

ecdavis

Troubadour
It sounds as if you are writing very powerfully. I'll wager if it moves you, it will also move your readers.