• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Future and Fantasy. An unlikely duo or not?

So. After getting more than half way through my main wip, I decided to take a break and take up a project I had put down months ago. Upon reading it I had one of those "The hell was I thinking?" Moments. Why? Because the project took place in a very futuristic world that was also teeming with mythical animals and beings mostly based on Shinto, Buddhist and Hindu mythology. I had created a world where a person may be flying a hover car powered by a nano-sun, in order to rush over to a museum where a Kyorinrin (A Japanese spirit made of scrolls) has run amok in one of the ancient library exhibits. A world where a giant tree decorated with beads and jewelry sits in the middle of a plasma farm because nobody wanted to trouble the spirit inside.

It sounds like a good idea to me mainly because it appeals to the type of sci-fantasy worlds. But I haven't seen a great demand or fan-base for this type of world. I'm kind of worried that instead of bringing sci-fi and fantasy fans together to read the novel; I'll push both away making the project more of a niche book.

What do you Scribes think? Am I a little paranoid?

I don't find smashing the worlds together as a problem. I think fantasy readers are looking for a breath of fresh air. I myself am doing this for a WIP I am working on. But I am approaching it from a start on one end and bring them together. So, I say go for it. You might make something amazing and become famous. If not, well, you learned and grew in the process and when you do get published you can convince your publisher to pick this up and get more readers for it later.

X Equestris

Maester
Science Fantasy can certainly work and be successful. Star Wars is the perfect example of that. You probably won't achieve that level of success, but it can definitely work. Like in all things, execution is key.

First and most important is to not overwhelm your reader. you can't have lightsabers and magic all in one go. Look at what Star Wars did. Title crawl, space fight, spaceship fight, hover craft, lightsaber, explanation of magic, then the magic. It immerses in the sci-fi part and then transitions to a fantasy world.

In my book I do the opposite. I start with a world firmly establishing a fantasy setting, but I drop and sprinkle hints all throughout that technology is futuristic. People know that the setting is on Earth a thousand years (or 100 not sure yet) after a war that lasted 10 years (or five not sure yet). So the minimum year is 3025 (or what ever the lesser math turns out to be). So, the logical leap isn't large to know that technology has advanced long passed what we have. When I first introduce some sci-fi elements it's nothing crazy, just a Google Glass-esque thing that happens to utilize facial recognition software combined with information on each person that is readily available to the public, spectrum analysis, and some other things. Cool but not crazy. The crazy (wormhole generator/magic shield destroyer) comes later. We'll see how this works.

Hi,

This isn't a new concept. Back in the sixties Simak wrote The Goblin Reservation which runs along these sorts of lines. Love the book by the way! Then there's Piers Anthony's Phaze books which were also fun. And more recently David Brin wrote The Practice Effect.

Cheers, Greg.

Svrtnsse

Staff
Article Team
This sounds pretty cool. It's always interesting to get some new concepts and views like that. As mentioned above. I think it's more about the execution than about the world itself.

TWErvin2

Auror
It all depends on how your world is created and if it's written (like all other fantasy, and also to possibly a lesser extent Science Fiction) where the reader is willing to suspend disbelief. Does it fit together and is there an underlying logic? Readers don't need to know everything--all of the hows and whys, but enough that it makes sense to them.

My First Civilization's Legacy Series is post-apocalyptic. Magic, and to a lesser extent machines. Ogres and wraiths, witches and dragons and more share the pages with WW II era weapons of war, and muzzle-loading rifles and such. Just one example of how what you're proposing can be done. Might it end up being a niche novel? Maybe. It depends on the story and structure, but probably not. Just like urban fantasy has such a wide scope of plots, themes, characters, and contents.

BWFoster78

Myth Weaver
It all depends on how your world is created and if it's written (like all other fantasy, and also to possibly a lesser extent Science Fiction) where the reader is willing to suspend disbelief. Does it fit together and is there an underlying logic? Readers don't need to know everything--all of the hows and whys, but enough that it makes sense to them.

My First Civilization's Legacy Series is post-apocalyptic. Magic, and to a lesser extent machines. Ogres and wraiths, witches and dragons and more share the pages with WW II era weapons of war, and muzzle-loading rifles and such. Just one example of how what you're proposing can be done. Might it end up being a niche novel? Maybe. It depends on the story and structure, but probably not. Just like urban fantasy has such a wide scope of plots, themes, characters, and contents.

Your cover drew me to your book. The whole fantasy scene with an airplane in the background thing really worked.

BTW: I contacted your artist a few times, but things never worked out. Guess she was too busy. Not a big deal, though, as I'm quite happy with my cover.

WooHooMan

Auror
I'm always kind of surprised when I hear people thinking science-fantasy or Asian-inspired fantasy (especially Japanese-inspired) is some kind of new thing when there's really plenty out there.

Maybe check out Lord of Light by Roger Zelazny. It's about 50/50 with the fantasy and sci-fi elements with a large dose of Hinduism and Buddhism.

I'm always kind of surprised when I hear people thinking science-fantasy or Asian-inspired fantasy (especially Japanese-inspired) is some kind of new thing when there's really plenty out there.

Maybe check out Lord of Light by Roger Zelazny. It's about 50/50 with the fantasy and sci-fi elements with a large dose of Hinduism and Buddhism.

I have read Lord of Light and it is one of my favorite books. I see that as more sci-fi than sci-fantasy. They actually go out of their way to point out that magic doesn't exist; only science so advanced that it seems like magic. I"m not saying it's a new thing I'm just worried that it won't appeal to a wider audience. The closet thing I've seen (outside of Japanese-RPG's) is the Artemis Fowl series.

Thank you for the inputs so far. I have another question. The technology/science in this wip is sponsored and developed by organizations/companies based on Christian, Islamic/Middle Eastern, Egyptian, Caldean, Norse and Native American (Both South and North) mythologies. For example; the technologies used in constructing buildings and military vehicles are inspired by Mayan, Aztec, Inca and Olmec culture and mythology. The biological sciences are developed by institutions inspired by Egyptian, Inuit, Abenaki, Iroquois cultures and mythologies. The slight problem I see here is that this aspect might make the story seem cliche or predictable. I know execution is key but the question is how to execute.

WooHooMan

Auror
I have read Lord of Light and it is one of my favorite books. I see that as more sci-fi than sci-fantasy. They actually go out of their way to point out that magic doesn't exist; only science so advanced that it seems like magic.

Interesting. I see LoL as sci-fantasy, leaning more on the fantasy end. But I also don't think magic is the defining trait of fantasy so I guess we're working under different criteria.

The technology/science in this wip is sponsored and developed by organizations/companies based on Christian, Islamic/Middle Eastern, Egyptian, Caldean, Norse and Native American (Both South and North) mythologies. For example; the technologies used in constructing buildings and military vehicles are inspired by Mayan, Aztec, Inca and Olmec culture and mythology. The biological sciences are developed by institutions inspired by Egyptian, Inuit, Abenaki, Iroquois cultures and mythologies. The slight problem I see here is that this aspect might make the story seem cliche or predictable. I know execution is key but the question is how to execute.

Honestly, that sounds like a mess. I feel like your putting too many unrelated cultural elements into too small a scope.
I mean, the Dune saga consists of primarily 7 books (with several more spinoffs, prequels and sequels) and took place on a handful of planets but it still mostly stuck with just Muslim and Buddhist elements.

I also don't understand how a technology R&D organization can have Chaldean or Norse elements. I assume its an aesthetics thing but even then: too much in too small a scope.

I think you are right when it comes to the amount of cultures I'm putting in at once. I'll probably remove the Native/Meso-American cultures and save them for the next book in the series. I'll focus the Christian, Islamic/Middle Eastern, Egyptian and Norse cultures since they tend to mesh better ) except the Norse maybe but that culture is very important to the story.

As to how the Norse mythology would work; my plans where to have them be in charge of creating/developing machines and biorobotics, with "Tech-cells being the pinnacle of their research. With their technology they can create enhanced humans & animals and weapons such as Gungnir and Mjolnir each with abilities similar to their mythological counterparts. Basically a company ran by Yama from LoL.

WooHooMan

Auror
If you're looking for some advice, I'd be happy to try and help out.

Is the utilitarian purpose of these cultural elements being that their technology is "modern versions" of mythical weapons and creatures?
Even if there's more to it, that's the main reason for it, right?

In essence yes. Basically, instead of losing their religion through the evolution of science, they have fused science and religion. One cannot simply work for these companies; you have to convert to their beliefs not just to join but to be able to perform the research itself.
For example; Sanctus, which is based off of Christianity, is the organization that develops and researches radiation and trans-dimensional technology. In order to manipulate the energies involved you would have to be infused with radiation that allowed you to exist in other dimensions which involves focusing your mind and body (with hymns and prayers) so as to not slip in and out of this dimension or get "possessed" by extra dimensional creatures (demons). Angels also exist but are simply humans that have reached dimensions that permanently change the individual. The Metatron (He runs Sanctus) and the Seven Archangels (Executives) are those who have reached the highest dimension possible.

Asatru (Norse) revolves around mechanical and cybernetic technology; Kemet (Egyptian) focuses on biology and genetics; Ubar (The name of the country that the Arabic/"Islamic" companies are located) Ubar is a Country/Foundation that focuses on different types of energies (solar, electromagnetic, etc.)

Trick

Auror
IThe Metatron (He runs Sanctus) and the Seven Archangels (Executives) are those who have reached the highest dimension possible.

I know this is "based" on Christianity so this isn't majorly important but the name Metatron is largely associated with Judaism, in Rabbinic tradition, mostly, as Metatron is not named in the Talmud. There is some belief among Christians that Metatron is a demon so the culture/organization feeling Christian but using that title might be jarring for some; probably not a huge amount of people though.

BTW, my WIP is Sci-Fantasy and I think your overall concept is quite interesting. I'd read it based off of your description in the OP alone.

EDIT ADD:

You should adapt this description into your blurb. Grabs me instantly. Which is harder to do everyday as I'm getting a bit posh and picky, to my own chagrin.

I had created a world where a person may be flying a hover car powered by a nano-sun, in order to rush over to a museum where a Kyorinrin (A Japanese spirit made of scrolls) has run amok in one of the ancient library exhibits. A world where a giant tree decorated with beads and jewelry sits in the middle of a plasma farm because nobody wanted to trouble the spirit inside.

Last edited:
I know this is "based" on Christianity so this isn't majorly important but the name Metatron is largely associated with Judaism, in Rabbinic tradition, mostly, as Metatron is not named in the Talmud. There is some belief among Christians that Metatron is a demon so the culture/organization feeling Christian but using that title might be jarring for some; probably not a huge amount of people though.

BTW, my WIP is Sci-Fantasy and I think your overall concept is quite interesting. I'd read it based off of your description in the OP alone.

EDIT ADD:

You should adapt this description into your blurb. Grabs me instantly. Which is harder to do everyday as I'm getting a bit posh and picky, to my own chagrin.

Thanks for your input and advice. I've never heard anyone I know mention Metatron or the book of Enoch outside of certain religious studies and seminary courses and others who have read books from the Biblical Apocrypha and admittedly my knowledge on the subject isn't at the level where I can make a statement agreeing or disagreeing with you. But now that you've gave me a dose of good ole knowledge I think I might be able to use it to add an extra layer the the character. Thanks :)
ANd I'm glad you liked the description.
A