• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Vocabulary

Morgoth

Dreamer
I've only just started writing again for the first time in a few years and I've noticed that I haven't really improved upon my vocabulary. I don't intend to riddle my stories with big words but I just feel that I often use words that are too simple, or words that aren't appropriate in a sentance for lack of better ones.

I've started reading a lot more to try and help this, and I'm wondering if there's anything else I can do to improve my vocabulary to the point that it's adequate.

Magic Toad

A word a day may help, if you come across a new word, look it up, add it to your list, and try to use it.

Google 'word a day' for sites that suggest words.

Kelise

Maester
Use a word a day site, but then try to use it for the 100 word flash fiction writing prompt - so you get used to using it in your writing.

drkpyn

Scribe
I often play word games such as Text Twist under the guise of improving my vocabulary. Crossword puzzles are great if you can find a source that writes them at a level just above your own vocabulary. Don't jump right into any particularly difficult ones or you might get frustrated.

Azza

Scribe
Thesaurus.com was mentioned before, I myself think that using a thesaurus is a great way to improve your vocabulary. You can read through your work, look up any words that you may have repeated or words that just don't sound good enough and you'll get a big old list of all the synonyms to add to your vocabulary.
Reading is the best way however, just be persistent and it will improve =)

Lots of websites being mentioned, but you really need a thesaurus made out of paper, there when you need it, preferably one you can carry around with you.

San Cidolfus

Troubadour
Lots of websites being mentioned, but you really need a thesaurus made out of paper, there when you need it, preferably one you can carry around with you.

Hard-copy is the way to go for a thesaurus, and I'm not just being nostalgic. Proper books transport well, smell like knowledge, still function during power outages, and can be used to browbeat a philistine.

Carry knowledge, smite with knowledge.

What I like to do is type up a page of text. After that I go back and read it. Any words I feel like I can improve I then go to Thesaurus.com and see what I can do. Just try not to overdo it because lots of times I will read something and I can just tell the author was Thesaurus-spamming. Meaning, he/she wanted to make their book sound more interesting or make themselves sound more inteligent by throwing in dozens of words that the reader wouldn't know. One book I read, the author did it so many times I felt like a dictionary should have come with the book.

So I encourage you to expand your vocabulary, it never hurts but remember, "With great vocabulary comes great responsibility."