• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Hola. Como Estas. No, I'm Not Spanish.

thetraveler

Minstrel
Posted around a bit, thought I'd go ahead and introduce myself so you know who the weirdo you're dealing with is. My username, thetraveler, is a reference to the book series I am working on, but if you want to call me by something more personable, my nickname(and my dad's nickname, and his dad's nickname, and his dad's...) is Maverick. I have roughly 6 books planned, and am just about finished with the final draft of Book 1, going to edit in April, then begin the submission process in May, while at the same time beginning Book 2.

I write fantasy, I would like to think on the epic saga scale, but I'll settle for it just being an enjoyable yarn that sells a decent number of copies (though NYT Best Seller would be great...). I drink a crapton of coffee while writing, most of it filled with a peppermint flavored liquid of indeterminable proof.

I also direct short films and hope to some day direct features. I think it would be awesome to direct a movie version of my book, but I also think that I might be too close to the project, so depending on my financial levels when that becomes an option, I may just produce it instead and hand the creative reigns over to someone else.

I do not believe that I--myself, this may not be true for you--can experience writer's block, only writer's laziness. I shoot for at least 1000 words a day when I don't have a deadline, but I have been known to crank out somewhere closer to 5000 on a good day. Good means non-busy, thunderstorm-y and with an endless supply of coffee and aforementioned peppermint substance.

If writing reveals something about you, then my characters have been telling me I have daddy issues, because the main villain has daddy issues, the main character doesn't have a daddy, a side character doesn't know he's a daddy--Yup, I need to see a therapist.

No, I've resolved most of my daddy issues, it's just something I understand, and that's why it got infused into the story. Seriously. I am completely mentally stable.

I enjoy long walks in the rain through a forest, even more so when it's with my girlfriend.

TL;DR Hi. I like to write a lot.

thetraveler

Minstrel
Hello and welcome! Do you use FocusWriter for your writing with that goal in mind?
Never heard of it, I'm assuming it tracks the number of words you're written...? If so, I just keep a rough tally within a hundred or so words of accuracy.

thetraveler

Minstrel
It looks interesting, but I use Word and have to have music going while I write... But it looks good and I may try it when writing Book 2, because it definitely looks like it would help my AD/LBD.

Well, your dedication and persistence with writing is admirable, I wish you all the best with your book. Welcome to Scribes. My protag had no father in his life, while I myself have always lived away from my dad. I am however extremely fortunate that I have always and still do see him on a fairly regular basis.

San Cidolfus

Troubadour
Hello and welcome, traveler. In my opinion, you should love your issues and mistrust therapists. All they do is take away that which makes us unique.

thetraveler

Minstrel
Hello and welcome, traveler. In my opinion, you should love your issues and mistrust therapists. All they do is take away that which makes us unique.

Haha! To put it as a favorite fictional character of mine said: "Psychiatrists are a disease which present themselves as the cure."