• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Writing pain or an injury.

T.Allen.Smith

Staff
I haven't read all the posts but I can tell you from personal experience about wounds similar to this.

Back in 1996 I received a gunshot wound in my left thigh which nicked my femoral artery. There was absolutely no pain at all (at first). The sensation was more like some kicked my leg out from under me with incredible force.

Now an arrow wound will be different because it won't hit with as much force. They are both puncture wounds though. I'll tell you that when you watch movies and someone takes a bullet in the leg and valiantly fights another 15 or 20 minutes...well that's all BS. The trauma of a wound like that is enough to take you out of the fight. You aren't going looking for the shooter. You go into survival mode.... Period.

Maybe in an extreme case where you're alone and your only chance of survival rests in killing your attacker...maybe. But if there's any chance of escape, or if you aren't alone and can get to cover behind your allies, that's exactly what you will do.

I'll also tell you that as your body loses blood, the instinct is to protect the body core, it's internal organs. Lose enough blood and your limbs will stop functioning. They will get tingly, then numb, then they will curl into your body. It's scary. It happens with you watching & not being able to make them move yourself.

If you want to write realistic combat injuries, don't have your characters fight through severe injuries (unless there's a super ability or magic involved). It just doesn't happen that way.

I'll also tell you that the pain afterwards is excruciating and the recovery exceedingly slow. Took almost a year for me, after about 3 months of agony & physical therapy. So again, if you're going for realism & your character takes a severe wound... Better count on him being out if commission awhile. At least have a way to write around that recovery time or a magical way to heal.

Last edited:

Chris Conley

Dreamer
Back in January, I slipped carrying a television down the stairs. My immediate reaction was of surprise (in the "how did I manage that?" variety). Then I angrily threw the television to the side (it was resting on my lower leg, having broken my leg/ankle in two places). Then I tried to get up, felt the bone moving, and decided that wasn't a good idea. It didn't really start to hurt until I was on the way to the hospital.

If anything, the pain was massively worse AFTER surgery. It still hurts in various places at times, and that pain is arguably worse than any of the pain I actually felt immediately after the injury.

Now, I've suffered other injuries in which I immediately felt pain, but the worst one I ever suffered took several minutes to actually hurt.

SeverinR

Vala
I think it depends on the person and the wound.
I have taken care of people with hip fractures:
Some had immediate pain, some pain only when they moved it, some moderate pain, but walked on it.

I've heard gun shot victims feeling pain immediately, after several moments, or after a short time period, there is even a few that never felt the pain(kind of wonder if it wasn't nerve damage that prevented the pain)

I believe the gunshot wound occurs so fast that the body doesn't register the injury as quickly as a standard less traumatic injury. I don't know if the speed of an arrow would cause the same effect or not.
The blunt trauma damage of a bullet is drastically worse then the traumatic area of an arrow.
arrow
Arrow into ballistic gello - Bing Images
.38 caliber bullet:
.38 into ballistic gel - Bing Images
The arrow doesn't cause much more damage then the size of the spinning arrowhead. The bullet causes alot more damage from energy transfer, ie bullet stopping quickly.

You've obviously never been shot in the shoulder by an arrow..... you would not be observing and assessing it.....

If you're character is disciplined and use to pain, have in act calm.

If he is young then have him panic

Ankari

Hero Breaker
You've obviously never been shot in the shoulder by an arrow..... you would not be observing and assessing it.....

Don't take this the wrong way, but have you?

SeverinR

Vala

If you're character is disciplined and use to pain, have in act calm.

If he is young then have him panic
Who were you asking? (Quoting the person helps)
Because I didn't mention immediate actions, just how people handle pain. My second part involved wound trauma comparing arrow to bullet.

Ankari does ask a good question...Have you? please share, because arrow injuries are so uncommon in this day and age.