• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

10 Most Difficult Books?

Shockley

Maester
It's important to remember that Joyce wrote through dictation, and the gentleman he dictated to had hearing as bad as Joyce's eyes.

That's why there are points of Finnegans Wake where it seems as though a second or third or even a fourth conversation is occurring - they are. There are several instances that we know of where someone entered the room, was speaking to Joyce, and the conversation found its way into the dictated notes. Joyce kept a number of them in the piece, thinking they added a more natural flow.

Wow, I haven't heard of 9 of these -_-

And I've only read portions of the Faerie Queen that were assigned in my "Arthurian Legend & Cultural Change" class way back in 2003 -_-

FatCat

Maester
'The Idiot' by Fyodor Dostoyevsky, it hits a brick wall in the middle. Great concept, but it became a chore almost to read it. Never finished either, sadly my copy was destroyed. Note, don't keep books in the trunk of your car, especially if said trunk leaks in the rain.

Steerpike

Felis amatus
'The Idiot' by Fyodor Dostoyevsky, it hits a brick wall in the middle. Great concept, but it became a chore almost to read it. Never finished either, sadly my copy was destroyed. Note, don't keep books in the trunk of your car, especially if said trunk leaks in the rain.

I haven't read that one, FatCat. It is on my list, however, as The Brothers Karamazov is one of my all-time favorites.