• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Aes Sedai vs Jedi

Who would win in a duel: Aes Sedai or Jedi

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Steerpike

Felis amatus
Hey now, that's a deliberate attempt at hijacking the thread! And successful too!

The magic users in the Malazan series were powerful but lacked definition. The most power of the magics from the Malazan series were rituals that could consumed days if not weeks. In a dual the Malazan mages seem to rely on power blasts while the Aes Sedai had so many tools up their sleeves it wouldn't be fair.

Which brings me back to the Jedi vs Aes Sedai. I am not well versed with the Jedi lore, but are you considering all the tools Aes Sedai can employ?

1) Teleportation portals that cut through anything.
2) Lightening
3) Air that can hold you in place
4) The ability to shield someone from their source of power.
5) The thing that Rand Summoned in the book The Dragon Reborn that killed all the trollocs but didn't touch a human.
6) Geysers of exploding earth
7) Dream walking
8) Healing
9) The thing that Rand used against Samuel that resembled pink lines that spread out and burned through your flesh on contact.
9) Gale force winds
10) Walls of fire
11) Balefire
12) Compulsion

Do I need to go on? You're telling me the Jedi can match that?

Yes I think the strongest force users can meet and exceed all of that (and I wouldn't put Vader in the top five). The Sith Emperor could drain energy from an entire planet, sucking life force from a huge area. Some could tear planets apart using the force. Force Storm can create a worm hole the devastates a planet and sucks entire armies into the void. I've never seen aes sedai powers described in a way that would rival the most powerful force users in Star Wars canon.

Ankari

Hero Breaker
Yes I think the strongest force users can meet and exceed all of that (and I wouldn't put Vader in the top five). The Sith Emperor could drain energy from an entire planet, sucking life force from a huge area. Some could tear planets apart using the force. Force Storm can create a worm hole the devastates a planet and sucks entire armies into the void. I've never seen aes sedai powers described in a way that would rival the most powerful force users in Star Wars canon.

A few planets? Wormholes? How about unraveling Reality? Rand can do that and was even warned against doing it. He was told the use of Balefire burnt the threads from the Pattern. Too many threads burnt would unravel the Pattern, ending existence!

Rand: 1 Jedi: 0

Steerpike

Felis amatus
Ankari, that's basically what the Force Storm does when it creates the worm hole effect. Rand would never get close enough to a force user capable of ravaging an entire planet with force storm or something like that. If Rand had power like that, the WoT books would have been over a long time ago.

Mindfire

Istar
Ankari, that's basically what the Force Storm does when it creates the worm hole effect. Rand would never get close enough to a force user capable of ravaging an entire planet with force storm or something like that. If Rand had power like that, the WoT books would have been over a long time ago.
And as we all know... they're not. lol You get it? Because the WoT books seem to never end? See what I did there? ...I'll go back to my corner now.

Sheilawisz

Queen of Titania
The Jedi mental powers would counter Compulsion and dream walking, the Force would destroy those air attacks and the Jedi also have a power to "shield" or cut off other Force users from the Force, which could work to cut off the Aes Sedai from channeling the One Power and leave them powerless =)

Here is a seemingly complete list of Force-related powers: What the Force can do.

Many of these powers cannot be seen in the Star Wars movies, but they appear in the Clone Wars series, the books and other things and all of that is official canon!! Their great speed to run and use the Force in great waves would be very useful in the battle...

Again, that unraveling reality stuff is based completely on the way that the WoT universe depends on the pattern and the threads that can be burned- That concept is unique and valid only in the WoT universe, so it would not work at all in any other universe because the pattern exists only in Wot.

Trying to take that unraveling the pattern stuff and make it valid in other universes, is just like saying that Rand could be defeated by taking away all the Midi-chlorians from his blood: He has no Midi-chlorians because that's Star Wars stuff, right? Well, then Lightsabers and other SW things are not part of the pattern...

If an Aes Sedai can cut off your head with air, a Jedi can make your head explode =)

Sheilawisz

Queen of Titania
So, has anybody laughed while reading that little crazy fanfic of mine? Anyone? Even a little laugh...??

I'll start a new Poll about a different fanfictional battle, wait for it- It seems that the Jedi Knights won this one without much trouble, but in my Poll they will have to fight very different enemies and it shall not be so easy for them =)