• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Jedi vs Wizards and Witches from Harry Potter!!

Jedi vs Wizards and Witches??

• Jedi

Votes: 8 61.5%
  • Wizards and Witches

Votes: 5 38.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Sheilawisz

Queen of Titania
Following Ankari's successful poll about a fanfictional encounter between Fantasy universes, I wanted to start my own thread to decide who would win a battle between these two: The mighty Jedi from Star Wars vs the quite underrated Wizards and Witches from Harry Potter!!

The idea is to have a certain number of well-trained Jedi fighting a large number of equally well-trained adult Wizards and Witches, the fight taking place perhaps somewhere like a forest at night... so, please analyze the situation and start sharing your opinion =)

Ankari

Hero Breaker
There is no way someone is going to vote for Harry Potter Wizards if they thought the Aes Sedai would get slaughtered by Jedi. Aes Sedai would eat the entire school of Harry Potter's world with every student from the first to the last in it.

Yeah, I got a chip on my shoulder. :tongue:

Sheilawisz

Queen of Titania
Well, the Wizards and Witches from the Harry Potter series are underrated about how powerful and deadly they really are: Very few people reading the books analyze their powers in a deeper and darker way, and if you think about it, you can soon discover countless ways that they could inflict terrible things or kill their enemies- It would depend on their imagination, really, and how cruel they want to be!!

Let's analyze my first point:

1- The Wizards can create an "invisible and irresistible force" that they can use to lift objects or people into the air and also force people to stay in a position or move against their will- We don't know how powerful this force can be, but the books say "irresistible" so this particular power might counter the Jedi's Force attacks =)

2- Transfiguration: What would be the psychological impact for a Jedi after he or she witnesses another Jedi getting transformed into a ferret, a clock or a glass bottle?? How could the Jedi protect themselves from Transfiguration attacks, which are really fast??

Mindfire

Istar
Ahem.

my-work-here-is-done-thumb.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Sheilawisz

Queen of Titania
@Mindfire: That video is so freaking funny!!! Thanks, I was laughing through the whole thing... well, what Luke can do in the movies and what Harry can do in the books does not reflect accurately what well-trained Jedi and Wizards/Witches can do =)

@Benjamin: Yeah, this is not about some super-powerful Force users capable of tearing apart planets and destroying reality: My idea is about average (though well-trained) Jedi vs equally well-trained Wizards and Witches... I also think that the Jedi would be facing more than a challenge here!!

Mindfire

Istar
As much as I love Star Wars, the Jedi as depicted in the prequel trilogy and Clone Wars are morons. Wizards would win.

Are you serious? Clone Wars? By Genndy Tartakovsky? Probably the greatest Star Wars related thing of all time? Which features some of the most awesomely overpowered Jedi of all time (with the exception of The Force Unleashed, which was similarly overpowered but not quite as epic)?

Show me a wizard who can solo an entire droid army, lift and pull entire starships, and unleash enough electricity to power a city block. THEN I'll be impressed, and not before.

Last edited:

Devor

Fiery Keeper of the Hat
The idea is to have a certain number of well-trained Jedi fighting a large number of equally well-trained adult Wizards and Witches, the fight taking place perhaps somewhere like a forest at night... so, please analyze the situation and start sharing your opinion =)

For a single battle? Jedi. For a war? Wizards. It's brute force against versatility. Both sides have a lot of resources on both ends, but wizards can't accomplish the feats of raw power that a Jedi can, just like a Jedi mind games can't trump something like the imperius spell. Or the luck potion? Or a curse as powerful as some of the ones Voldemort cast? In a straight-up fight the Jedi are just too powerful, but if you give the best wizards time to strategize and lay out a plan, they're going to win.

You know, there is a Youtube video where they had Luke Skywalker and Harry Potter battle to the death. And you know what, Jedi won.

but for this. The Wizards of Harry Potter, in terms of power and versatility, are inferior to the Jedi. In order for Wizards to use their spells, they need a wand, direct eye contact, and to say the name of the spell. For Jedi, they just need to Force.

Sheilawisz

Queen of Titania
@Penpilot: Excellent idea, I loved that Extractum Midclorium spell!! The fact that the Wizards can come up with new spells, charms and curses especially designed for a new challenge would be a great advantage in the battle =)

@Mindfire: Not all Jedi are as powerful as Master Mace Windu in the animated Clone Wars series!! The idea is a battle between well-trained Jedi and equally trained Wizards and Witches, without the over-powered individuals from both sides- A powerful Dark Wizard could destroy a droid army with Fiendfyre or just blasting curses, then teleport inside the starship that Windu destroyed and start Fiendfyre inside too...

@Devor: I quite agree with you, except the fact that in this scenario the Jedi are facing a large number of Wizards and they could get outnumbered easily =)

@Xenodeus: Mindfire already posted that video, it was great- Wizards do need wands and that's a weakness (even though wandless Magic is possible, just more difficult to control) but they do not need direct eye contact and say the words, non-verbal Magic is performed easily by adult Wizards and Witches!!

Last edited:
Sheilawisz;43047 @Xenodeus: Mindfire already posted that video said:
It is clearly stated in book 1 that when casting a spell, you need direct eye contect(Snape chanting during the Match). Also non-verbal spells are not as powerful as verbal ones.

Steerpike

Felis amatus
Jedi would win. Again you're dealing with a universe in which force-users can lay waste to entire planets. So assuming we're talking about the most powerful individuals in the lore of either side, the Potter wizards and witches would get their butts kicked.

Sheilawisz

Queen of Titania
Harry attacked Bellatrix with Cruciatus while she was running from him, the curse hit her from behind without eye contact and it worked (book 5) The fake Mad-Eye Moody transformed Draco into a ferret also attacking by surprise (Draco was just about to curse Harry from behind, book 4!) and when Harry Sectumsempraed Draco in book 6, he was just waving his wand like crazy without eye contact =)

Also, powerful blasting curses like the one that blasted the castle walls and killed Fred do not need eye contact, or even a direct hit to be lethal!!

Where does it say that non-verbal magic is less powerful? How exactly would the Jedi protect themselves from Transfiguration attacks?

Sheilawisz

Queen of Titania
@Steerpike: Well, if Rowling decided to start an Expanded Universe project similar to the Star Wars books, someone could invent a new spell that causes such a damage to reality that the entire universe comes crashing down- Sure that the most powerful Force users would destroy the HP planet, but the idea here is a battle between average Jedi vs average Wizards and Witches, though both sides well trained =)

Mindfire

Istar
Harry attacked Bellatrix with Cruciatus while she was running from him, the curse hit her from behind without eye contact and it worked (book 5) The fake Mad-Eye Moody transformed Draco into a ferret also attacking by surprise (Draco was just about to curse Harry from behind, book 4!) and when Harry Sectumsempraed Draco in book 6, he was just waving his wand like crazy without eye contact =)

When they said "eye contact" what they really meant was "line of sight". You have to be able to see your target. I'm not a HP fan, but I think that IS one of the rules.

Devor

Fiery Keeper of the Hat
It is clearly stated in book 1 that when casting a spell, you need direct eye contect(Snape chanting during the Match). Also non-verbal spells are not as powerful as verbal ones.

Actually, that was just for a type of spell. The spell Snape was casting took moments to cast, he stood there muttering, he didn't even use his wand - Hermione named it a jinx, but truth be told, we don't see spellcasting like that anywhere else in the Harry Potter series, even with other spells referred to as a jinx.

For most spells the effect is instantaneous - you swing the wand, think the words, and the spell shoots out - and doesn't require anything more than a simple line of sight, just like anything else does. I'm not very familiar with the Star Wars extended universe, but I'd be surprised if the force did not also require your basic line of sight.