• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Aluminum Swordmaking

Sheilawisz

Queen of Titania
Hello everyone!!

I wanted to start this thread to share pictures of the Aluminum swords that I produce, and in case anyone is interested, to provide details about how to make these swords- To start, I wanted to share two selected pictures and here they are =)

First, my Sheila-class Aluminum sword:

Fotograf_a_0325.jpg

Now, here you can see the Angelica-class sword:

Fotograf_a_0494.jpg

These swords are 100.7cm long and are made from 6061-T6 Aluminum, what do you think??

Sheilawisz

Queen of Titania
@Phil: Thank you!! So far I have made only a few of these swords, because I work by hand and it's a really hard work!! I am considering to use power tools instead and start a really commercial production- the swords that you see here were unfinished and still needed polishing and sharpening =)

@Aidan: Thank you =)

The Angelica-class was developed to have a shorter blade and a longer handle, creating a better balance for a faster weapon that is also a little heavier than the Sheila-class but these swords are very light because they are Aluminum. So, anyone interested in Aluminum swordmaking around here??

Kevlar

Troubadour
Not so much aluminum, I'm actually trying to get a smithy set up. These are some beautiful looking blades, though, how are you making them by hand? There might be some crossover that will make it easier for me to get started smithing, which I've wanted to do since I got a taste of it in my grade nine metalwork class.

I hope you continue with this, they make very nice pieces of art.

Sheilawisz

Queen of Titania
Hello Kevlar, and thank you for your appreciation of my swords and your interest!! I cannot provide information about smithy, I have never tried that, but if you want to be a blacksmith then working first with non-ferrous metals like Aluminum and others can help you to get started =)

I make these swords by a cutting/carving/removing technique working with hacksaws, special heavy files and sandpaper- very soon I'll start posting a step by step guide for anyone that wants to try it... with the special warnings included, by the way!!

It's a little dangerous, but I love it =)

Sheilawisz

Queen of Titania
Sure Graham, we can fight off the mayan zombie hordes together!! XD! Well, now I am having second thoughts about posting the step by step Aluminum Swordmaking guide here in Mythic Scribes- After all these swords are real weapons (not at all toys or harmless wallhangers) and that means responsability issues, I'll have to ask Black Dragon about it.

Reaver

Staff
Wow! These are some of the most exquisitely crafted swords I've ever seen! Nicely done, Sheilawisz! I'll definitely be the first in line to purchase some from you once you get your commercial production line going!

Sheilawisz

Queen of Titania
Thank you Reaver, you really cheered me up!! XD! The commercial production is still just a project, the power tools involved are dangerous and I have not decided yet whether it would be a good idea to take the risks or not- Anyway, comments of appreciation like yours tell me that it may be a good idea after all!!

Reaver

Staff
You're most welcome, Sheila! I wouldn't say it if it weren't true. No matter what you decide to do on the commercial side, these swords are works of art!

Sheilawisz

Queen of Titania
You know, it gives me a good feeling to think of my swords as works of art instead of weapons!! It's a good idea, and now I want to use that point of view as part of my Swordmaking guide- thank you Reaver =)

Black Dragon has granted his permission for the Swordmaking Guide to go ahead... first instructions coming soon!!!

Kevlar

Troubadour
Well, if they were steel I'd say they were beautiful weapons. As aluminum, they don't really qualify. Therefore my stance is at beautiful pieces of art, as I'd certainly never want to pit these against period swords. Also, labelling them as art pieces might get you around certain laws and restrictions as "weapons" would.

Sheilawisz

Queen of Titania
Hello Kevlar =) Aluminum 6061-T6 is not exactly a soft material, and these swords can easily slash cardboard boxes, bushes in my garden, watermelons and they can deliver stabs that easily go all across very hard pumpkins, not to mention that they are very fast and easy to handle- I don't like thinking about this, but my blades are capable of mortally stabbing a human being.

Aluminum swords are sometimes used in the practice of sword combat instead of training with steel blades, and sometimes they end up in the hospital with serious injuries caused by blunt aluminum weapons =P

Sure that carbon steel is stronger, but aluminum swords are real swords too and if someone was in a rampage wielding one of my blades in a shopping mall, I would run!! Anyway, for the guide I'll make use of the "works of art" description and special warnings shall be included.

First page of the swordmaking guide coming within a few minutes!! =)

Sheilawisz

Queen of Titania
Aluminum Swordmaking Guide for Mythic Scribes

Authored by Sheilawisz.

Disclaimer: The instructions presented here are intended for the production of Aluminum swords as Works of Art. This Guide is for educational and artistic purposes only. We are not responsible for the possible misuse that could be given to the swords produced thanks to this Swordmaking Guide.

Warning!!: The practice of producing Aluminum swords for artistic purposes involves hazards. Hacksaws and Files are dangerous tools that can seriously hurt your hands. Always wear protection gloves and goggles while working with Aluminum swords.

ALUMINUM POISONING: Danger!! Something that other Aluminum Swordmaking guides and tutorials do not warn you about is the serious possibility of Aluminum Poisoning. Aluminum is a dangerous poison than can be inhaled or absorbed through skin contact, causing injuries to the nervous system in particular. Wear gloves, goggles and respiratory protection to avoid inhaling Aluminum dust or getting Aluminum particles inside your eyes.

Aluminum Poisoning Symptoms:

1- Trouble with your Memory.
2- Trouble with Emotions.
3- Disturbed Sleep.
4- Headaches.
5- Difficulty to concentrate.
6- Impaired intellect.
7- Sometimes you want to say something but you cannot find the words to express yourself.

If your nose starts feeling funny while working on your swords, you have inhaled Aluminum dust: Blow your nose immediately!! Do not let Aluminum dust to come into contact with your skin. If you experience these symptoms stop working with the metal and seek medical attention.

In severe cases, Aluminum can cause bone degeneration and permanent damage to your nervous system.

While working with hacksaws and files, always concentrate on what you are doing and do not let your mind to think of anything else. Angle grinders with metal cutting disks are even more dangerous and I do not recommend their use at all.

Warnings are over now- Page 2 coming tomorrow =)

Last edited:

Reaver

Staff
Well, if they were steel I'd say they were beautiful weapons. As aluminum, they don't really qualify.

No offense, Kevlar, but this is akin to saying that aluminum baseball bats don't qualify as weapons. If someone was pointing one of Sheila's swords at me in anger, I'd run away faster than Sir Robin from the Killer Rabbit of Caerbannog . But that's just me.

Reaver

Staff
Aluminum Poisoning Symptoms:

1- Trouble with your Memory.
2- Trouble with Emotions.
3- Disturbed Sleep.
4- Headaches.
5- Difficulty to concentrate.
6- Impaired intellect.
7- Sometimes you want to say something but you cannot find the words to express yourself.
=)

And all this time I thought I was just really depressed. I suppose that I'll have to quit eating all those empty beer cans. Y'know, come to think of it, Legendary Sidekick did warn me about that once...

Last edited:

Steerpike

Felis amatus
If someone was pointing one of Sheila's swords at me in anger, I'd run away faster than Sir Robin from the Killer Rabbit of Caerbannog . But that's just me.

"He is packing it in and packing it up
And sneaking away and buggering off
And chickening out and pissing off home,
Yes, bravely he is throwing in the sponge..."